Talk

Advanced search

Failed 11+ plus at top Independent brother school now what?

(18 Posts)
Aboveandbeyond1 Mon 01-Feb-16 14:55:05

Hi all,
So we have a predicament in that son hasn't managed to make the school of his brothers and wondered if it was an option to do the 13 plus now?

Most of the schools have done these at 11plus. Haven't checked all yet so are there options?
He currently attends a State school in West London so if we go the prep route I am concerned he might not get in and then we are in a worse position as currently we are waiting for another independent school but it was just on reserve and isn't at all as academic as City of London for boys where his brothers go.
His grades are great at school and his tutor is so shocked as he bombed his maths which he has always been so good at.
Do you know what prep schools will take him now, as he isn't in the system right now and whether its just better to take the lower tiered school if we get the place?
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

AveEldon Mon 01-Feb-16 15:07:45

Did you only apply for one school?

LIZS Mon 01-Feb-16 15:18:10

There will be movement over next few weeks as offers are made and confirmed/declined. Call the less selective schools and ask if there will be another exam sitting before Easter. Did you also apply for state schools? Prep schools are often keen to boost y7/8 numbers but you may be deferring the inevitable and many senior schools pretest in y6 for y9 entry.

AnotherNewt Mon 01-Feb-16 16:28:44

Did you get a waiting list offer or a straight no?

When is the offer date for the other school?

Did you make a state application?

Sorry to pooh-pooh, but there won't be late sits in London.

What you'll need to decide is if two years at a prep and another shot at City seems preferable to the other offer/s you have now.

As you have a DC at City, is there someone in the school, can you ring a staff member you know to find out more about the reasons for their decision as this might help you to decide about a second try at 13+

Aboveandbeyond1 Mon 01-Feb-16 16:42:35

No Hampton and Latymer.

Aboveandbeyond1 Mon 01-Feb-16 16:48:08

Thanks for all your advice.
I applied also to St Benedict's and Kew and the local Free School in Hammersmith.
He is keen to go to St Benedict's as knows friends there. So judging from your response it appears risky putting into preps as for one London schools have already done 13+ in year 6!

Aboveandbeyond1 Mon 01-Feb-16 16:49:49

I have been put in touch with an agency that says it can advise on 13+ options and says all prep schools have a good relationship with the schools but I'm thinking they maybe saying that as they want their huge hourly fee!!

AnotherNewt Mon 01-Feb-16 16:54:37

Pause and do your research.

Yes, there are schools which pre-test in year 11, but there are also Dulwich and Alleyns that don't (and possibly others) but of course they are competitive exams (so you need fall back options).

But if he's keen to go to St Benedicts, then perhaps you have your answer even if it's taking you a bit of getting used to.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 01-Feb-16 17:14:31

Dies your DS want to go to the same school as his brothers? I ask as I am certain my DD deliberately failed the entrance exam for one school and I know a couple of other people who are suspicious of the same with strong willed, stubborn children who didn't want to go to certain schools.

MissGintyMarlow Mon 01-Feb-16 19:02:58

If he wants to go to St Benedict's then let him go there! Pointless and potentially even more confidence harming to put him for 2 years in a prep for a risky outcome. Good luck.

Aboveandbeyond1 Mon 01-Feb-16 20:49:26

He was desperate to join his brothers. It's been a huge set back for him but day 4, lots of cuddles and reassurance and remedies and he's getting there.
He is just saying St Benedict's as there's little choice and we don't have an answer until the 18th from them or Kew. I agree 'Anothernewt' I need to pause before I empty my money box of £300 for the advice on what options he has now if we decide to put him in Prep.
He is exhausted and although we are all tired from a heavy two years of preparing I feel I just need to check if it's worth doing it again.
If you have any ideas on what schools are worth contacting it would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone.

Merchant Taylor's has a later cut off for 13+ registrations (Feb of Year 7) but it would be quite a trek from Hammersmith (if you are there). There is a coach from Ealing.
www.mtsn.org.uk/admissions/applying-to-mts/timeline-dates/

It's another academic school so I don't know if that is what your DS needs?

Maybe being in a different school to his brothers might be a good thing. He won't be in their shadow?

If he is sporty then St Bens is a good option.

Sorry puncuation failure Merchant Taylors'

Aboveandbeyond1 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:40:40

Thank you very much for that.
I think you're right, the different school might be a good thing for him and he is a good hockey player, so hoping he will fit right in.

Thanks very much for all your help.

harlowcar Wed 03-Feb-16 12:07:34

I can say from experience of a close friend sending children there that St Benedicts may well not be seen as an academic school, but it still sends its high achievers to Oxbridge, if that's important to you. It is also a very successful rugby school and does well in school sports generally (I think Kingston Grammar is more hockey focused), but really importantly children are very happy there. It may be that your DS is slightly slower to get going than his brothers, and he may well achieve the same, but everyone develops at their own rate. Better to choose a school which can cater for him whatever his academic abilities than try to get him into a school because that's where his brothers went.

Aboveandbeyond1 Wed 03-Feb-16 15:47:02

Harlowcar your advice was heartwarming. Thank you very much that is very helpful.

Reasontobelieve Wed 03-Feb-16 19:28:49

I would encourage you and your son to consider St Benedicts. My dd goes there and although it is not seen as an 'academic school', it caters very well for all abilities. They usually get a few Oxbridge offers and most get the university of their first choice, many of which are Russell Group. The pastoral care at the school is excellent.

I have found that my dd is being 'stretched' in subjects where she has shown ability and is being taught at just the right level in subjects that she finds more challenging. As others have said, it is a great school for sport and lots of opportunities for talented pupils to extend their skills still further at county and national level. At the same time pupils who are not so talented, but are enthusiastic are not left out and still get the chance to play for school teams.

There are also lots of opportunities to develop the soft skills that can't be measured in terms of academics, but are valuable to future employers. For example, there are a number of fundraising events for charities each year, that raise significant amounts of money. All of them are organised by the pupils with the support of staff.

DeoGratias Wed 03-Feb-16 20:22:37

If he really has missed out but is bright enough (in which case why a heavy 2 years of preparation?) then certainly try schools at 13+ although it might be worth 2 years at prep school first. All 3 of my sons moved from private preps so schools at 13+. In fact all 3 won music scholarships. I prefer moving schools at 13 for boys as you get to be 13 and the oldest in your school rather than 11 and a tiny new boy. The 13+ entry works very well particularly as boys mature later than girls.

As well as Merchant T where my oldest went consider Habs boys too - www.habsboys.org.uk/Main-School-Admissions-Overview My daughter was at habs girls and it was lovely school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now