Autism

(7 Posts)
jztjakes82 Thu 28-Jan-16 13:15:15

My 9 yr old daughter n my 12 yr old boy have trates of adhd add asd odd please help im struggling to make sense of it all and where and who to go to next

Arfarfanarf Thu 28-Jan-16 13:19:35

First step would be an assessment.

You should talk to the gp and the school.

There is an assessment process. If they have asd this is supposed to result in a diagnosis.

With a diagnosis, they can access more support than without it.

It is not a short or easy process.

You can also find info at the NAS and other groups that can help you.

The school should work with you.

They can and should be providing the support your children need. Have you met with them?

jztjakes82 Thu 28-Jan-16 13:26:19

Its a long story as u said its a long process but since 2012 we have been to see the gp and the pediatrician she had blood test done n going for a gentics test done she as been seen by tge ed phy but yesterday i found out that the ed phy isnt for an assessment (im not sure what the ed phy was for then) and i also learnt that an assessment isnt a diagnosis so how do the both happen??

Arfarfanarf Thu 28-Jan-16 13:57:01

Diagnosis happens as a result of the assessment process. If a diagnosis is appropriate of course.

What you need is to spend time reading the information on sites such as the national autistic society. They have a great deal of information.

Arfarfanarf Thu 28-Jan-16 13:57:56

Are the school working with you and helping your children?

jztjakes82 Thu 28-Jan-16 14:06:51

They have alongside with the ed phy as she was pushing and investigating my D they have put strategies in place and are using some not all as it was said that my D would find it overwhelming it was suggested that time out intervals for her lessons to help her as she can get upset anxious and irritable in class that she as a stress ball object and that she can use emontion cards to help give warning to her teacher and that they are looking into pairing my D with a child that seems understanding and patient.

Arfarfanarf Thu 28-Jan-16 15:11:07

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs_chat

You should check out the sn section here. (Click above)
There are so many people who could answer any questions you have.

Have a think about your specific questions and start a thread.

Honestly they are very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now