Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Burgess Hill Girls

(4 Posts)
Arlentree Mon 25-Jan-16 20:39:30

Hi all, I'm desperately looking for information about Burgess Hill Girls!

Here are the topics I'd like to know about:

•The rebrand
-Is the uniform now more expensive?
-Has the rebrand affected anything inside the school?

•The admissions process
-Are they very strict about it? For example, if I apply in April would they let my DDs start school in September of the same year?
-Can my DDs take the scholarship test also around April? (Unfortunately, we are unable to know whether we can move schools until then)

•The girls
-Do they care about the work, or think it's cool not to?
-Do they have the 'rich girl' attitude? Eg. My Daddy's rich so we have three summer houses
-Are they mainly academic, or sporty, or musical, or a mix?

•Gifted children
-Do they have any extra classes?
-Do they encourage them?

And now a little bit about us to help you with your answers:

The DDs are a bit gifted. Not 'profoundly gifted' or anything but they're consistently top of their year, stuff like that, so it would be nice if they had some enrichment-type things. We aren't super rich, but we are certain we have enough to send them, so school trip prices and things shouldn't be too much of a bother. The current school is absolutely the worst thing for them: every child is lost in the system! DD1 is in Year 8 so if we do move them it would have to be for her to start in Year 9, so she's firmly settled in by the time GCSEs start. DD2 is in Year 7.

Any help is appreciated, as we are quite pushed for time! PS I know there's already a thread on this topic but it's from 10 years ago so it would be nice to have some more recent info!

giddybiddy Wed 27-Jan-16 17:49:12

Hi, I haven't got girls there but I have friends who do and have visited the school a number of times so can answer some of your questions. The re-brand is simply marketing. The admissions process will depend on the number of girls currently in that year group, some are very small and some are larger i.e how much they want your DD.. My DD has an offer which we were supposed to accept before Christmas, didn't, and they keep emailing me to ask if we are still interested.. I don't think it is a my Daddy has a bigger car than yours kind of school, it seems quite down to earth. I think the music and drama are strong, with the sports, if you are very good you get picked but unlike some other schools they don't play teams at all levels. No idea about the gifted questions, know they do have bright kids there who do very well. Hope that helps a little!

Arlentree Thu 28-Jan-16 22:48:42

giddybiddy thank you so much! It's especially good to hear about the admissions part (how it depends on class size and how much they want the girl) because a friend of a friend has girls in the same years as mine and says that they are small for that school! Also, I'm hoping that my girls will get the academic scholarships so maybe that will make the school more likely to accept them too! Thanks again!

neontrees Sun 20-Mar-16 21:20:14

Hi Arleentree,

This reply is quite late but I thought I'd give my input as a current pupil of the school in case you or other parents are still researching it.

The rebrand
- Is the uniform now more expensive?
We spent around £500 on uniform (including PE kit) in total when I first joined, but I don't know the price of the new uniform.

- Has the rebrand affected anything inside the school?
The bottom floor has been renovated (replaced with blue carpets + wooden floors, and the walls have been re-painted as well). Also I believe there are plans for adding a fitness centre/gym to the school and renovating the top floor.

The admissions process
- Are they very strict about it? For example, if I apply in April would they let my DDs start school in September of the same year?
There are definitely still some places available currently as the school's been advertising on their social media, and from my own experience I would say that they're not very strict about it (I applied even later than April and I still could start school in September), possibly due to it being a very small school. As far as I can remember the entrance exam wasn't too challenging, as long as you have a good grasp on Maths/English you'll be fine. You could also prepare for Verbal Reasoning but it's not necessary to do so.

- Can my DDs take the scholarship test also around April? (Unfortunately, we are unable to know whether we can move schools until then)
I don't know unfortunately. As I missed the deadline in Year 7 I just did it in Year 9. I would recommend contacting the school if you haven't already and see if they can set up special arrangements.

The girls
- Do they care about the work, or think it's cool not to?
I don't think anyone think it's "cool" but I would say some people are more relaxed about their work ethic than others. However everyone I know does care about their schooling.

- Do they have the 'rich girl' attitude? Eg. My Daddy's rich so we have three summer houses
Thankfully I don't know anyone with this mindset. Also, if this helps ease your mind, some students here truthfully aren't that well off and have bursaries. But even the wealthier students don't go flaunting it.

- Are they mainly academic, or sporty, or musical, or a mix?
Definitely a mix. There are some all-rounders but quite a few have their talents in a specific field.

Gifted children
- Do they have any extra classes?
None which are timetabled.

However, on another note, to benefit your learning there are clubs during lunch which are available. There used to be a maths club, I'm not sure if that still exists. There are also 'clinics' for subjects in case your daughter doesn't understand a particular topic. During GCSE students can sign up for a certificate in Further Maths or GCSE Statistics (offered to all Set 1 students).

- Do they encourage them?
Yes, the school sometimes takes part in things like maths challenges. Scholars also have the opportunity to attend events such as educational talks. I'm sure teachers would also be open to discussing the possibility of extra work if they're capable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now