Talk

Advanced search

Caldicott

(8 Posts)
Mariep25 Tue 19-Jan-16 14:25:14

Our DS (6) has been accepted at Caldicott. Although we think the school is absolutely fantastic we feel a bit nervous about the compulsory weekly boarding at 11... My feeling is that our son would thrive however we would love to have the option to change to a day school if DS changes his mind about boarding when he is older. If he goes to Caldicott - any thoughts as to how feasible is to apply to a top day school 11+ or 13+ in London if he changes his mind?

Drinkstoomuchcoffee Tue 19-Jan-16 15:13:57

He will be begging you to board long before he is 11!

If he really does not want to you will likely be able to get him into a co-ed London prep at 11 as many of the girls leave then and spaces are freed up. Top boys will be more competitive at 11 as many join then from state/abroad.

You will probably need to have your13+ options thought through before he is 11. Many pre-test in Y6. Offer will be dependent on passing CE/scholarship in Y8 and satisfactory reference. Should not be dependent on the particular prep he is at. But obviously, in the unlikely event he turns out to be totally unsuited to boarding, you will want to include at least one commutable school with a day option in your choices. But this will probably be academic.

Drinkstoomuchcoffee Tue 19-Jan-16 16:56:44

Academic in the sense that you will be unlikely to need it....

dog123 Tue 19-Jan-16 17:53:39

Check the Caldecott leavers' destinations. Very few (?any) go to day schools. Once immersed in the boarding culture I'm sure he will want to do it. Do you want him to board?? Are you happy accepting that in all likelihood he will go boarding at 13+ (can you afford it? - not expecting an answer, just something to consider). As pp have said, Caldicott will need to be on top of the 13+ pre test process for St Pauls/Westminster/Kings Wimbledon/Hampton etc if you want those as options. Friends with DS there say it is only geared up for boarding (and in fact the DS didn't pass pre tests for London days despite passing them for boarding schools - boarding is easier just by sheer numbers).

Hillingdon Tue 19-Jan-16 21:24:06

Pm me if you like. I had two boys go through Caldicott and youngest one left last year. Please feel free to ask what you like.

BlueSmarties76 Sun 24-Jan-16 01:07:52

I think it's almost 100% certain he would board for Senior if he went to Caldicott. I think it's very hard not to if you're at a full boarding Prep as you are brainwashed carried along in that direction so much. (My DC may be Prep boarding too, so I'm certainly not anti boarding!)

If you're having doubts about boarding suitability, maybe you could consider a school with optional boarding such as Lambrook?

Mariep25 Sun 12-Jun-16 17:27:42

Any parents who were so lucky to have their sons admitted at Harrow, Eton, Charterhouse, etc... . How did your children get prepared? What did work?

Gruach Mon 13-Jun-16 07:52:31

I suggest you take a look at the many, many threads here on each of the schools you're interested in. You'll find almost limitless information, opinion (and nonsense).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now