Advanced search

permanent exclusion

(17 Posts)
Pumpkin2000 Tue 05-Jan-16 18:05:46

My child has been permanently excluded from school unclear of what the next steps are?

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Jan-16 18:07:50

Doesn't the letter from school say about an appeals procedure?

Pumpkin2000 Tue 05-Jan-16 18:11:18

Yes but we agree with the exclusion as he was given many chances before! All we have been told is wait for the council to contact us!

Prior to this he had recently been diagnosed with ADHD and Aspergers traits!

LIZS Tue 05-Jan-16 18:13:25

If it is due to SN could you speak to Ipsea for advice.

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 05-Jan-16 18:17:36

I have one heading that way so have been reading up in grim anticipation.
Firstly, do you want to appeal the exclusion? If so you'll need to get a copy of the appeal procedure then follow it to the letter.
If not, then your Local Authority has an obligation to find an alternative place for your dc within 10 school days. It will be unlikely to be at a school of your choice as they'll go for the nearest school with places available. You do have the right to request an alternative if you really feel this school is unsuitable, eg if your child has previously left that school due to bullying etc. But be prepared for a fight as LAs are usually just keen to place and have done with it.
The nature of your dc's exclusion could also impact on the place offered, eg if severe behavioural issues were involved then a specialist placement might be more appropriate.
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this and I fear that my family are onlt a few steps behind you.

Pumpkin2000 Tue 05-Jan-16 18:18:08

Sorry what do you mean due to "SN and speak to Ipsea for advice" what does the abbreviations mean?

EduCated Tue 05-Jan-16 18:19:48

Have you read the guidance on this link?

It says that the local council must arrange full-time education from the 6th school day following exclusion.

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 05-Jan-16 18:20:12

Just read your update. How did school deal with your ds' diagnosis? Did they create and implement a specific plan for him to help him manage his ADHD and Aspergers to help him remain in school?

Pumpkin2000 Tue 05-Jan-16 18:21:28

Thank you it was due to behaviour issues that had caused the exclusion, this is why we are not appealing. This all happened just before Christmas!

Sorry to hear you will be going through the same!

Kleinzeit Tue 05-Jan-16 18:26:38

This must be very stressful for you flowers
SN = special needs (such as ADHD and Asperger’s).

IPSEA offers advice about education to parents of children with SN in England and Wales, as well as the website they have a (free!) telephone advice line 0800 018 4016

You may find that you need to do a lot of research about the options for yourself and then kick up a fuss to make sure your DS gets the education he needs. Do head over to the Mumsnet Special Needs board as well – there are other parents who’ve been in your position and can offer more suggestions and support.

LIZS Tue 05-Jan-16 18:26:47

If he has special needs Ipsea is an organisation which can assist you re. Your dc's Right to education and accessing the required support.

Pumpkin2000 Tue 05-Jan-16 18:37:22

Thank you!

GruntledOne Fri 08-Jan-16 22:41:26

Isn't it likely that the behaviour issues were caused by his ADHD and Asperger's? The school should surely have been helping him to deal with those rather than punishing him for them. They should also have been working on getting him help through an Education Health and Care Plan. Did they do that?

Pumpkin2000 Fri 08-Jan-16 23:25:18

They didn't have the facilities to deal with his behaviour issues at school! In my eyes I think all schools should have some support in children who has behaviour issues!

Blue14 Sun 10-Jan-16 07:40:59

In my eyes I think all schools should have some support in children who has behaviour issues

That is unrealistic, the cost would bankrupt the whole country.

Contact the council on Monday am, ask for a named contact who will be dealing with finding a placement for your son. Get in touch and introduce yourself straight away. Ask for what sort of time frame you should be looking at, and what you should be doing for your son in the mean time. Ask what sort of places are being looked at. Stay friendly and constructive and cooperative, but keep in touch once or twice a week, always giving the impression " yes, I know you are working hard for my son, I am just getting in touch to ask for an update on the situation" that way, they don't forget him..

Good luck, this could be the best thing that could have happened for your son.

Soooosie Sun 10-Jan-16 07:53:16

Contact the LEA too and get the ball rolling

mummytime Sun 10-Jan-16 09:04:37

All State school get money and are supposed to deal with up to a certain level of behavioural difficulties. The school may well have recorded it that you "voluntarily withdrew" you child, rather than that they excluded him.

It is they who have failed. Before exclusion they should bring in outside experts to assess and advise, train their own staff, have a plan to manage behaviour, and possibly bring in outside experts to work with your child.

Behaviour is a form of communication, and even violent behaviour at this age is an attempt to communicate - usually when scared/anxious/upset and the child lacks the vocabulary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now