Tatler's Guide to state schools

(27 Posts)
Contraryish Mon 04-Jan-16 15:05:35

Tatler has published its second guide to state schools! Does anyone think it is worth the paper it is written on? It names just 23 secondary schools in the country. Would anyone actually use it as a guide towards making a choice and what exactly is the point of it?

[The link is to the Telegraph, btw, not Tatler itself, in case the aim of the guide is to generate advertising revenue!]

BoboChic Mon 04-Jan-16 15:10:28

Surely it's more about reaching out to potential readers of Tatler who are state-school users, to make them feel good about themselves?

EdithWeston Mon 04-Jan-16 15:12:07

Yes, I can believe it's only 23. Because it's describing schools which it is not social death to mention in Tatlerish circles.

Contraryish Mon 04-Jan-16 15:13:05

Is it not social death to mention the concept of state education in Tatlerish circles?

EdithWeston Mon 04-Jan-16 15:16:24

No, some of them are broke.

But you still need to live in the right places and go to a 'safe' school that people have heard of.

(Weird that Belleville's in but Honeywell's out).

BoboChic Mon 04-Jan-16 15:18:22

Why is Tonbridge Grammar in this year and Cranbrook out? Last year it was the opposite!

Contraryish Mon 04-Jan-16 15:18:41

I know nothing about Tatler, to be honest. Except perhaps to know that it is not a natural publisher of such guides. With only 23 inclusions, it is difficult to imagine their research was that comprehensive ...

AuntieStella Mon 04-Jan-16 15:23:37

Not really 'comprehensive' at all...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2497504-Notable-omissions-Tatler-Schools-Guide-South-East

FellOutOfBedTwice Mon 04-Jan-16 15:24:26

My husband went to one of those!!! Entirely by chance and just because he happened to be bright and passed an entrance exam. His family are rough as fuck and he comes from a very dingey estate. He will be thrilled to hear this! grin

Contraryish Mon 04-Jan-16 15:29:19

AuntieStella - this is state schools, not independent ones!

FellOut - my son is at one of them too, but merely by geographical coincidence!

AuntieStella Mon 04-Jan-16 15:31:19

Yes, I know.

I was attempting to make the point that no Tatler schools guide, whether of state or independent sector (or hybrid) is actually comprehensive.

Contraryish Mon 04-Jan-16 15:35:33

Fair enough AuntieStella, and this one is clearly even more arbitrary and less comphensive than the other one!

FanDabbyFloozy Mon 04-Jan-16 16:18:41

It's a silly list.. You get the feeling that Tatler do it because they should, rather than because they have any interest in it. They just seem to be dropping a needle on the top schools tables and picking different ones every year.

I mean, Queen Elizabeth's School in Hertfordshire may top the league table year after year; however its policies aren't for the fainthearted: an aggressive cull after GCSEs, a very high bar for taking a subject at A-level (not just a GCSE A, it is based on their own assessment), very disciplined etc. It takes a certain parent to put up with that.

What's more, it ignores any religious schools other than CoE (natch). Why do none of the fantastic Jewish or RC schools feature?

JasperDamerel Mon 04-Jan-16 16:33:30

My local comprehensive is in there, and unless they change the catchment area, it's where the DCs will go. It is a very good school, but there are other similarly good schools nearby that I would be happy for my children to attend.

DD is currently in Y4, so she'll be starting to think about schools next year. This won't influence our choice of school. I did choose extend our house rather than move, but that's as much to do with really liking where I live as it is to do with catchment.

Biscetti Mon 04-Jan-16 16:36:24

I'm also surprised about Belleville being in but not Honeywell. Hmm. I have my theory but still surprised.

mummytime Mon 04-Jan-16 18:34:20

Well one school there I have known people remove their children from - it doesn't suit everyone. Another I believe is good, but actually has quite a wide catchment. Another is mentioned on MN nowadays with worries about its standards (and has a very expensive catchment). And another ... Well I've heard it praised recently for rivalling Eton for the number it gets into Oxbridge.
But lots of people in those areas would send their children private anyway.

Lancelottie Mon 04-Jan-16 18:40:23

Weird that one of those secondaries is purely a 6th form college. What is the impoverished Tatler parent meant to do before the child reaches 16?

BlueSmarties76 Tue 05-Jan-16 10:21:30

The guide is only really useful if you're willing to relocate for one of those schools or are in London and have several options. Can't imagine anyone actually looking for a secondary school using the guide though! As a PP said, I imagine it's mostly useful for helping Tatler readers feel better about state / Tatler aknowledging that some of its readers may not be able to send all their DCs private.

nanodragon Tue 05-Jan-16 11:53:08

Lancelottie - that sixth form college you mention is well known for being extremely good

Lancelottie Tue 05-Jan-16 12:25:36

Nah, I think I'll send mine to board in Keswick for sixth form. Sounds much more fun.

MN164 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:29:47

For any decision that is that important, is there anything ... anything at all that you would ever ever ever look in Tatler for guidance on? I mean, why not the Independent or The Lady too.

There is a point to it, but a really hollow, weak, amateurish useless point.

mrdashwood Tue 05-Jan-16 17:01:11

The guide is a shoddily researched joke, aimed at parents who care more about who their child might pass in the playground, rather than exam results key for university entrance.
Greycoat Hospital, for example, was shunned by most Tatler reading parents, prior to Gove and Cameron`s patronage.
It has featured in the past two guides, despite getting only 58 per cent A2 grades at A* - B this year. Comparable schools in the vicinity do much better with 70 per cent or more getting top grades.
That school is also shy of listing destinations after sixth form. Can`t find anything on its website about exact numbers at named med schools or RG unis.

BoboChic Tue 05-Jan-16 17:47:33

ROFL MN164. No, I don't look to Tatler for guidance!

Alfieisnoisy Fri 08-Jan-16 17:21:37

Oh.....nothing in Basildon? There's a surprise ...we isn't posh enough here innit?

JackandDiane Fri 08-Jan-16 17:29:21

my sons place was in last year - now out!

Like i give a fuck

* shuffles off thread *

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now