Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 3 year old DD no interest in colouring play doh etc...

(12 Posts)
winemummy1 Wed 02-Dec-15 23:59:17

My DD( nearly 3) attends playschool 2 mornings a week, she loves it. However she has no interest in drawing, colouring, tracing, playdoh etc. At home we read loads & loads so she is v articulate & has an extensive vocabulary, all she wants then is imaginary play & dolls, she is happy to play all day with her dollies. I try to encourage pencil work, colouring etc as I know how important it is for her fine motor skills & I worry she will be left behind as many in her class can write letters, numbers, their names etc she just had zero interest.....

cestlavielife Thu 03-Dec-15 00:07:03

She is three...relax...

Just make opportunities alongside her interests....
Use her interests... Get down with the dolls on the floor with her ask their names and make name badges.... let her join in if she wants.

irvine101 Thu 03-Dec-15 11:20:23

Make the decoration for dolls house and colour it?
Make some necklace for dolls with chunky beads?
Have a tea party for dolls and make the invitation?
Origami?

Fine motor skills can be improved from lots of other things.

NickNacks Thu 03-Dec-15 11:26:46

She's two! Please leave her be. I'm a childminder, honestly there's no rush. She's still very very young.

eddiemairswife Thu 03-Dec-15 11:27:18

Does she dress and undress the dolls? That would help, but I think you are worrying unnecessarily.

MMmomKK Thu 03-Dec-15 14:02:35

My DDs still don't like drawing...
Unless you have a competitive assessment for prep schools coming up - I won't worry. She may not become an artist, but all eventually pick up a pen! smile

Pico2 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:04:34

Does she like stickers?

winemummy1 Thu 03-Dec-15 17:43:05

She loves dressing her dolls & is very good at getting herself dressed, I just worry about the practical stuff as all she wants to do is play with her dolls(making up very elaborate plots!!) & we read loads. No we are not applying for any preps she will be going to the local school... Pico 2 she loves stickers & sticker books

Pico2 Thu 03-Dec-15 18:20:22

Stickers are great for fine motor skills and using a pincer grip.

Ragwort Thu 03-Dec-15 18:27:12

My DS was (is) the same, hates any form of art or creative stuff (lego etc) - but he loved sticker books and then the sort of simple maths/quiz books for children ............. he is a teenager now, have to admit his handwriting is terrible but it hasn't held him back in any other way.

winemummy1 Thu 03-Dec-15 20:03:37

Ragwort I think that's half my fear, like your son my own writing is terrible & even now I still get comments on my illegible scrawlsad

Marmitelover55 Sat 05-Dec-15 00:04:28

What about those cardboard dolls where you cut out the clothes and attach with tabs - would she like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now