Talk

Advanced search

How do you get an apprenticeship?

(19 Posts)
Draylon Fri 30-Oct-15 09:40:17

I know, I know 'Apply for one'- but: do you apply to an employer direct? A college who have willing employers waiting? How can you select an employer who sends their apprentices to a local enough college? Are there 'standards' that need to be met along the way by the employer?

Controversially- how can you pick a real apprenticeship? Is it to do with the level of academic attainment on offer (3 v. 2, for instance?) I was looking on a site which had 'Sales apprenticeships' on offer 'in a retail environment'... i.e. shop assistants. I am not sneering at shop assistants; it's merely that I see that sort of thing as being a means for the government to claim kids are 'in training' rather than for the DC to actually be gaining anything worthwhile they couldn't get by just walking into a shop and getting a job there.

TIA for any input.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 30-Oct-15 12:51:58

There is no one answer to how do you apply some are direct to the employer and some are through the college. Enquiring with the college is often the first best step as they will say yes you apply to us and then we help you find an employer or no you need to find an employer first.

Draylon Fri 30-Oct-15 14:22:12

Thanks, have posted this in Chat as well for traffic.

FionaJT Fri 30-Oct-15 23:24:58

I work in admin for apprenticeships at an FE college - there is a website called the National Apprenticeship Service where colleges will post positions that are currently available, or if you don't see anything there you should be able to apply directly to a college for an apprenticeship that they offer and they will help you find a job.
Depending on the type of apprenticeship it may not matter how close the college is as some courses are 100% based in the workplace. The level offered (ie 2 or 3) will mostly correlate with the job role advertised, ie a lower level job might not provide you with the experiences you need to complete a higher level qualification.
All apprenticeships will include English and Maths, and possibly ICT qualifications if the learner needs them.
Hope that is helpful!

Autumnsky Mon 02-Nov-15 12:11:32

Don't have the knowledge, but our company have recruited some apprentice, we just did it as the ususal jobs, as we belongs to NHS, we listed it on NHS jobs. The apprentices come in for full time work, salary is around £15k, doing varies admin role. They have time release for colleage. Then after this finished, they normally move to a different higher level role, or move to another company.

Autumnsky Mon 02-Nov-15 12:30:28

I would suggest to look at big employer, not only they normally organise the apprenticeship properly, but also, they would have potential higher position for a person with good work attitude. So there is a career path after that.

The distance of the college shouldn't be a problem. The company would take care of that. One of my colleague had college tutor came to her.

I think it depend on DC. Some DC may like working in retail. One friend's son started to work in a bookshop chain after GCSE, it was not apprentice scheme, but called graduate training scheme at that time. He is a hard working person, and after a couple of years, he became the manager of a book shop.He enjoyed it.

Draylon Tue 03-Nov-15 09:00:16

Thanks. Judging by DS's 6th form progress report, I am wondering whether he should cut his losses sooner rather than later and try and get on a GCSE entry apprenticeship.

SomeonesRealName Tue 03-Nov-15 09:05:05

I work for an FE College and think apprenticeships are a brilliant option for pretty much anyone. A direct pathway into work, a useful vocational qualification potentially at the highest level and no massive burden of student debt at the end of it. See if there is an Apprenticeship Training Agency near you, or just enquire at your local FE College.

fastdaytears Tue 03-Nov-15 09:05:47

We have just employed a lovely apprentice. We're a small company but there's definitely lots of scope for her to progress. She's doing level 3 legal services.

We advertised locally and on the NAS website (the college did that for us actually) but next time will probably just do NAS as that's where the good applicants came from.

Mentor comes here and almost all distance learning so location of college doesn't seem to be a factor.

Draylon Tue 03-Nov-15 14:03:17

fastis she post 'A' levels?

fastdaytears Tue 03-Nov-15 14:07:14

Yes she is, but we also advertised level 2 for post GCSEs. All our applicants had either done their A levels or done one year of them then changed their minds.

Draylon Tue 03-Nov-15 14:16:47

Where can DS1 sign up, fast wink... where do you stand on 'fucking up ASs so badly I expect he'll be reduced to two on parents eve in Nov' ?...

fastdaytears Tue 03-Nov-15 14:21:40

Ha ha I'm sure it will be better news than that...

But honestly, we advertised for apprentices because we don't think that the academic route suits everyone and that there are lots of really bright young people out there who don't get on with school or uni and need a different environment. So if you son was in the position of saying that AS levels hadn't really been his bag, but he could should some insight into why he would do better in a work environment (works better in a team, prefers practical application of leaning, wants to be more of an adult etc) then that will all be a positive in interview. Plenty of people take a wrong turn in education, particularly in going into A levels because it's what's expected of reasonably able kids. He can totally make it a positive if he needs to.

Draylon Tue 03-Nov-15 15:21:10

Thanks for the input, fast

tobysmum77 Thu 05-Nov-15 20:07:08

The National Apprenticeship service has a database of vacancies. What sort of area is he interested in?

Draylon Thu 05-Nov-15 21:41:18

Entirely unsure, tbh! He just doesn't know. He's slamming the AS doors closed so there needs to be a Plan B!

tobysmum77 Sat 07-Nov-15 13:28:15

In that case I reckon look at what the job opportunities are in your area and shortlist areas/ base decisions on that.....

Draylon Sat 07-Nov-15 13:38:38

I dropped in at the local 'tech' yesterday and have picked up their syllabus which is quite helpful, explaining the levels etc and how either employers come to them, looking for apprentices; or to provide training for their own recruited apprentices.

Thanks all.

Joiedevie Tue 15-Dec-15 14:20:19

It is harder than you think to find information all in one place about non-university options for school leavers, especially apprenticeships, but in my own research I came across this excellent website aimed specifically at parents: www.careersadviceforparents.org/p/free-expert-advice.html (I have no association with this website, I just think it's really useful!).

Careers fairs are a brilliant way to find out about the all the options in one place and to meet face-to-face many employers who run apprenticeship and training schemes. I've written a post about it here: www.whatcareerlive.co.uk/careers-advice/careers-advice/top-five-reasons-to-attend-a-careers-fair (disclaimer: I do some freelance work for the company hosting the article, who of course host a careers fair themselves, hence me writing about it!). But the website also lists all the exhibitors who accept applications direct - some of them have video information about their apprenticeship schemes as well as case studies. Worth a look - if nothing else, you'll be very reassured about the calibre of the schemes and the career opportunities they present.

Two other good websites are AllAboutSchoolLeavers and NotGoingToUni.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now