Talk

Advanced search

Here we go again, sad child, home ed only solution?

(35 Posts)
Piffleoffagus Fri 14-May-04 09:26:53

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Fri 14-May-04 09:29:45

Message withdrawn

Piffleoffagus Fri 14-May-04 09:30:23

arrgh real name in it, will get this removed and re submit post, will save your replies until it is done
thanks a lot!!!!

Fio2 Fri 14-May-04 09:31:01

oops sorry I knew your name anyway you have posted it before

Fio2 Fri 14-May-04 09:31:22

mine is fiona!

shrub Fri 14-May-04 09:45:00

so sorry to hear about what your son is going through. there are lots people where i live whom home ed. one of the organisations is called 'education otherwise'. i'm sure there is a website shall try and find it for you.i am sure you will find the answers you need. what a wonderful mum you are!!

shrub Fri 14-May-04 09:47:24

its www.educationotherwise.co.uk. (sorry i really have tried posting the link thing and don't understand what url http means??) it details all the legal stuff you need to know

Piffleoffagus Fri 14-May-04 09:49:04

I am paranoid about name as was once stalked...
wonder who was more scared sometimes LOL (ish)
this has been brewing for sometime, his teacher is block of ice, his two previous teachers adored him and have told this teacher (who is also deputy head) that if she cannot get on with him then she is the problem, this is two advocates inside the school!!!
If you don't subscribe to the football, kiss the girls and chase or wear skater chains here, you are not welcome.
See my son likes dance too, he even wants to do ballet, I was so worried that if he did, he'd get his head kicked in if anyone found out.
It is ruining our life.

Piffleoffagus Fri 14-May-04 09:51:39

straight there thanks
for a link copy the whole address http; included
copy the link thing down like so

description
where is says URLdescription
delete this and add in the web adress you have copied, then where it sayd description
DESCRIPTION overwrite with what you call the link ie site for you or ed site, then preview to make sure it works.
took me ages but finally figured it

hercules Fri 14-May-04 09:52:49

I'd definately take him out if I were you kiwi. He is gaining nothing by remaining there excpet unhappiness. yOu are more than capable of he him until he is old enough to go to the grammar school.
I would do this for sure. you wouldnt go to work if it was happening to you.
Poor lamb

hercules Fri 14-May-04 09:53:13

Wally - you singed your name

robinw Fri 14-May-04 09:54:35

message withdrawn

twiglett Fri 14-May-04 09:56:30

message withdrawn

Piffleoffagus Fri 14-May-04 09:56:32

I know herc see previous post....

Freckle Fri 14-May-04 10:00:35

Kiwi, your son sounds very much like my DS1. I'm not sure DS1 is quite as bright as Max, but he is very clever and seems to be suffering as a result at school. He too is not particularly good at football, girls (apparently) don't like him and these definitely count against him.

You don't have to do anything in particular to home-ed. Just inform the school that you are withdrawing him - and make sure they know the reasons (not a legal requirement, but I would do it anyway). You may be contacted re your ability to home-ed, but I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems there.

Hope you get something sorted. It is heartbreaking to see your child gradually being diminished by unthinking and malicious boys.

Hulababy Fri 14-May-04 10:05:08

Look here . I did a quick google search and fouind this site. It tellls you what you should do and the legal requirements.

"Many people in the UK do not realise that home education (known as 'homeschooling' in the USA) is legal, even if the parents are not teachers. According to the 1996 education act, it is parents who are responsible for providing their children's education 'in school or otherwise', suitable for the age, ability and aptitude of each child."

spacemonkey Fri 14-May-04 10:14:49

Stupidgirl home eds her children - I'm sure she could offer some great advice.

IMO the education system is rotten to the core and more an instrument of social control than a means of personal development. Could rant on this for hours. If you've got the wherewithal to home ed, go for it, I'm sure he'll be far better off!

Janh Fri 14-May-04 10:23:38

kiwi, I have just looked at twiglett's and hula's links, and I know you've said something before about not wanting your son taught by someone less intelligent than you - it all sounds as if HE is the perfect solution for both of you at the moment. I'm sure you are more than capable of giving DS exactly what he needs and making both of you happy! Good luck.

Piffleoffagus Fri 14-May-04 10:27:12

here it is again

I have a 10 yr old, talented and gifted, finds school very easy, could easily go to secondary school now (he is yr 5) but his soul is being destroyed at his current school - he is a sensitive boy and gets called a geek and a poof etc, he is often home in tears and now my heart is broken, his is smashed so I need for his and my sake to take him out.

We are moving soon, but I would love to take him out for his yr six, but we are moving to Lincoln and the Grammar School 11+ etc, he could do the test standing on his head and the SATS too but how do I still get him to sit them? I know the Grammar School he would get into and it is a good school that nurtures talent and encourages academic excellent without crushing its pupils, so I am very keen for him to go.

I was assuming to get a maths and science tutor, I can do English and Literacy, plus history etc. Also would like him to learn French, he is also learing guitar and dance.

This is all a muddle, how do I get him out of school legally? Can I ask the doctor to sign him off?

had to repost this as real name was published earlier, ha ha ha kiwi xx

Piffleoffagus Fri 14-May-04 10:29:16

and thanks for the super sites given already
xx

roisin Fri 14-May-04 12:07:05

Kiwi, I am really saddened that your ds is having a tough time at school again. Hope you find answers to your questions re home-edding.

On here recently someone jokingly suggested 11 yr-olds needed a GAP year ... and my immediate (non-joking) reaction was, what a fantastic idea - to get away from the structures and formalities of education, and just have a bit of freedom for a year to learn and explore, do longer projects and investigations, and holidays and visits.

So hope this works out for you - I'm sure it can be a fantastic year for you and ds. Are you worried about how you could balance it with dd's needs?

Roisin x

Soapbox Fri 14-May-04 12:18:32

Is HE the only option - only asking to make sure that you have thought through the other ones as well. Your son sounds highly intelligent - but I doubt that his situation is unique. He just hasn't found his niche yet as far as school is concerned.

Is moving to another school an option - sounds like this teacher is part of the issue. Is going privately for a year an option until he gets into the grammar school. There are schools around which take a higher proportion of G&T pupils, so he would be more likely to feel at home there.

I suppose I'm just a bit worried that if you take him out of school to HE (which I generally have no problems with at all) then you are taking away the chance for him to find a solution to the social aspects of school. Does he have any friends there at all? WHo are is friends out of school - where do they go to?

I think HE *may* be a solution but presonally I wouldn't jump to that as the *first* solution.

I am sorry if I'm saying all this and you have already considered all the options - if so please feel free to ignore me

Janh Fri 14-May-04 13:32:38

soapbox, I'm not sure there is a solution to the social aspects of school, if the age-group's culture is otherwise universal, IYSWIM.

At DS2's school there are a few "geeks", but there is a group of them, not one on his own, and the sort of behaviour kiwi's son has experienced is just not allowed. (Also they are generally the brightest ones so are encouraged to take leading parts in whatever goes on.) Apparently kiwi's school isn't dealing with it, he is on his own, and the class teacher couldn't care less by the sound of it.

kiwi's DS is involved in activities outside school and would still have contact with other kids that way, and they would be more like-minded too. I would think HE for next year would be the best solution, especially as he would be moving and changing schools anyway and might well find it hard landing in a new school after the start of Y6. Going back into school at the start of Y7 when they're all starting again and making new friends would be much less stressful.

Janh Fri 14-May-04 13:34:33

Do HE kids have to do SATs btw? Have you spoken to the grammar school you are hoping he will go to, to find out what their entry requirements are?

roisin Fri 14-May-04 13:46:27

Janh, HE kids don't have to do SATs or follow the National Curriculum.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »