Talk

Advanced search

11+ tutor Wirral, Chester and north wales area - recommendations

(12 Posts)
Candinha Tue 20-Oct-15 06:37:59

Can anyone recommend a Tutor for the 11+ exam in the area above? Thank you

00100001 Tue 20-Oct-15 08:42:34

Don't get one.

If they need tutoring to get a particular result, to get into a particular school, your child will struggle through secondary.

Candinha Tue 20-Oct-15 18:16:48

Thanks 00100001 but I am unsure why you replied as you can't answer my question.

sassymuffin Fri 23-Oct-15 14:49:00

I had my DC's tutored in Wirral as the 11+ was totally different to anything they had ever been taught in primary school. Some primaries around here actively tutor their pupils in after school clubs but some don't.
I had similar worries that binary mentions so I chose a tutor who not only explained the questions but also taught other things such as vocabulary etc. They will not spoon feed children as some tutors do. They do a one off assessment to see if your child is a good fit for tuition and they also set homework so a level of commitment is required beyond attending a weekly session.
If you are still looking let me know and I will pm you.

admission Fri 23-Oct-15 15:23:40

I do think that you should consider what 001000001 said. There is a big difference between some limited tutoring to allow pupils to get used to the type of tests that the 11+ on Wirral is and a tutor who is cramming / pushing the child as far as possible to just get them through the exam mark threshold. Such pupils will not usually flourish in a grammar school environment and will be better off in a comprehensive school.

sassymuffin Fri 23-Oct-15 15:49:57

Also there are some great online free resources and most book shops sell the GL (formerly NFER) Verbal reasoning practice papers. My son loved the code breaking type questions, and we used to see who would make the best spy by doing the same puzzle and the 'winner' would crack the code first.

I don't know anyone who did no preparation at all for the tests, either via a tutor, after school club or practice papers at home.

Candinha Fri 23-Oct-15 20:20:55

Thanks sassymuffin I am meeting someone tomorrow so will see how it goes. I agree I wouldn't do a test without some practice so I can't expect my daughter to do it! If it turns out that it's too much for her I'll go back to plan B ??

philomene Tue 03-Nov-15 13:24:45

They're changing the test, so make sure the tutor know.
It's not GL anymore, but CEM with english/match/verbal and nonverbal. It's to avoid the use of tutoring all together. To be honest, I'm not conviced it'll work.

alejandramartinez Tue 17-Nov-15 11:09:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RAMS05 Wed 18-Nov-15 12:16:48

does anyone know a good tutor in wembley area for 11 plus tutoring?

Rereroro Thu 17-Aug-17 17:48:32

could you please tell me the tutor you had for the 11+? I need one for my daughter urgently in Wirral?

Rereroro Thu 17-Aug-17 17:49:47

sassymuffin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now