Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bucks 11+ Results

(11 Posts)
winkywinkola Sun 18-Oct-15 17:52:42

So ds1 passed. He got 145. The pass mark required in Bucks is 121. We are very proud of him. It hasn't been an easy year for him.

11 kids at his school also passed. They got scores ranging from 155-173. Incredible results!

To get those scores, I think they must have got many many more questions right than ds1. They all had little or no tutoring. Ds1 had 90 mins a week of tutoring for an academic year.

With children of that academic ability as his peers, I'm now wondering if ds1 will actually flounder at grammar school.

Am I being daft?

GloriaHotcakes Sun 18-Oct-15 17:54:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Electrolux2 Sun 18-Oct-15 17:59:02

Not Bucks. And I don't know the pass mark
But I guess you know your child best. Is he doing ok at school in maths/English etc?
My son passed a different county test with a bare minimum of familiarisation ( 5 X 20 mins) and is flying at his grammar but his friend is struggling and he had a similar amount to your son.
My guess would be to ask his teacher.
I also wouldn't believe everyone who said they didn't tutor. People invariably lie about this stuff

winkywinkola Sun 18-Oct-15 18:08:04

He's in top set for everything. Seems to do well academically. A couple of the kids who scored a lot higher than him are in second set. I don't think 25 more points means they got 25 more questions right than him - I wish I knew.

I don't want to make an error in sending him to a tough school. I will talk to his teachers.

Electrolux2 Sun 18-Oct-15 18:12:19

No. Standardised Marking means that you cannot guess his raw score for his standardised. score
I think bucks take the too 25% from memory. I went to a bucks grammar years ago and think that was what it was. If your son is in the top 25 he should be ok.
But that depends on how much tutoring has played a part in his position in the class.

I know even if I was inclined I wouldn't be able to get my son to tutor and do more work as he got enough already now he's at grammar. It would be too much

GloriaHotcakes Sun 18-Oct-15 18:15:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

winkywinkola Sun 18-Oct-15 18:26:11

Electrolux, in the letter, there is a breakdown of all his points scored in the verbal reasoning, nvr etc and they explain how they arrived at the final figure.

There must be different systems in Bucks then. Ds1 did the Durham CEM test.

Electrolux2 Sun 18-Oct-15 18:29:41

I am sure he will be fine.
You just need to ask yourself if you would be prepared to continue tutoring if he needed it. Honestly my son couldn't do an extra 90 minutes a week. He's spent 2 hours today revising for a French exam and another hour revising for a history exam and he is in year 7. That's more that enough work for one weekend and I won't let him do any more now.
Where was he in the class before you started tutoring ?

winkywinkola Sun 18-Oct-15 18:30:57

6th in the whole year.

WildStallions Sun 18-Oct-15 18:34:11

He'll be fine. There'll be plenty of pupils who only got 121 or close to it.

The grammars are really not like they're built up to be here on MN.

Electrolux2 Sun 18-Oct-15 18:34:45

My daughter is year 6. She got 5a/b's at the end of last year. I don't have her 11+ results yet

My son passed very easily last year ( pure VR different county) he got level 6 across the board at the end of last year and is top 3 of his year at grammar.
I suspect my daughter has done equally well in her 11+. My son didn't get top marks But his friend did quite a bit better in 11+ and is really struggling now. he got 5c at the end of year 6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now