Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have the caretaker and on board of governors?

(14 Posts)
DaimYou Mon 12-Oct-15 17:32:04

We do and he also sits on the premises committee.

He's a fairly obstructive individual anyway and uses his position on the fgb and fpp committee to block/influence anything that might disrupt him or create work for him. He doesn't like change, at all.

I dont know how it's not a conflict of interest, but he's been at the school a long time, is close to the head (only other man on staff) and some of the governors. They all seem happy with the situation.

Does anyone have experience of this or of managing the conflict?

DaimYou Mon 12-Oct-15 18:31:16

Or an opinion as to whether this is acceptable, or I'm over thinking and there is no conflict?

TalkinPeece Mon 12-Oct-15 18:46:06

WE did for several years : he was the staff rep, elected by the other staff.
Perfectly allowed.
Not always constructive, but fully permitted.

chickensandbees Mon 12-Oct-15 18:49:41

Yes there is usually a staff member on there so no conflict of interest. Usually useful, but depends on the personality.

DaimYou Mon 12-Oct-15 18:52:49

There are two other staff members on fgb, so that's well covered.

I think this is a conflict because, for example, some governors are looking at ways to let the premises more. Caretaker is against this because of the way it will affect him personally, he's not acting for the good of the school.

tinymeteor Mon 12-Oct-15 20:49:46

We did, it was useful to have someone who know the practical issues around the new school building we were moving into at the time. He wasn't a very active governor but not obstructive either.

Surely you can just outvote him?

BackforGood Tue 13-Oct-15 22:50:17

Yes, in two schools. Elected staff member. Can be very useful. However, if generally unhelpful and obstructive, then ensure someone else gets elected instead of them next time.

Virginiaplain1 Tue 13-Oct-15 23:05:44

I'm assuming he is an elected staff governor. If not, does your constitution allow staff members to serve as other forms of governor? Sometimes they may, but only if they work less than a certain number of hours a year in the school (usually amounting to quite part time work).
If he is rightfully in post as governor, I would say that he should withdraw, or be asked to withdraw, from any discussions the outcome of which would affect him personally.
This is the reason why at the school where I am clerk to governors, staff governors do not generally serve on the FPP Committee - too many conflicts of interest.

starfishmummy Tue 13-Oct-15 23:15:09

In the situation that you mention re the lettings it sojnds like a conflict of interest so he should withdraw from the discussion/vote. The local authority should have a governor support service so they may be able to advise.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 13-Oct-15 23:19:25

Yes it's standard for governors to declare any interest in agenda items at the start of the meeting and then not take part in that particular discussion or vote. Our agenda has declarations of interest as a separate (very short!) item.

One person shouldn't be able to block things either.

Millymollymama Tue 13-Oct-15 23:23:07

I am a bit surprised a committee or fgb is talking about something that directly affects him. If you have 3 staff members and the Head you need to reconstitute to a smaller GB! We have one staff member - elected by the staff and the Head and 12 in total. This is in line with the latest recommendations. The Head should manage the day to day work of the caretaker and he is not on the GB to control his work. The job description should also do that . What are you talking about that he objects to? I cannot think of a single thing we have ever talked about on FPP commiittee that would have upset the caretaker ! Not that he is there! You should not be talking about his work anyway. Look at what you discuss and avoid discussing his job or thjngs that affect his job.

angelcake20 Tue 13-Oct-15 23:57:33

Ours is, again as a staff Governor. He is dedicated to the school and very hard working and it has made dealing with facilities issues much easier having him there, rather than having to go away and consult him then report back. Pretty much everything to do with facilities affects him in some way so I can see that it might be difficult if he were not so constructive and proactive.

Millymollymama Wed 14-Oct-15 08:59:40

The Head goes away and talks to the caretaker . If you micro manage the work of a caretaker on the fgb then you are not working strategically . The Head should manage the work of the caretaker not the fgb.

LatteLady Sun 18-Oct-15 07:58:02

I have had the Facilities Mgr on the GB. Never had an issue with lettings or changes because he is just one governor, if he had an issue we discussed it, then voted. If it was best for the children and the school that is how we voted and if it created too much overtime we used a relief and passed on costs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: