Talk

Advanced search

Tavistock and Summerhill school

(14 Posts)
Popsmummy12 Sun 20-Sep-15 20:24:04

Hi

I've been looking at Tavistock and Summerhill school for my daughter, head is very new though and last head wasn't there for long and head before that made redundant by looks of it? Does anyone know the school? What do you think about it? What's new head like and should I be worried at the rate they get through heads?

Thanks xxx

Popsmummy12 Tue 22-Sep-15 11:24:34

Does anyone know this school, that can help please?

Caroford78 Thu 08-Oct-15 14:59:11

I have 2 children at the school and it is a fantastic school. The new head has been there just 4 weeks and is making a massive difference already,she is very inspirational and the school is going from strength to strength, she has come from New Zealand from a very similar school and has lots of exciting ideas. Previous head was fine but commuted to Somerset weekly and I think with small children of his own the commute just got too much in the end.

Both the nursery and the school are doing well, the school has a fabulous atmosphere and if you were to have any worries I'm sure the new head Dr Hastie would be very happy indeed to meet with you and discuss them.

Sussexmom Fri 09-Oct-15 09:04:21

I know several parents who left the school last year. Seemed to be a bit of an exodus! Glad to hear it may be on the up, but can't really understand why anyone would choose it over other nearby schools with more established reputations / better track record??

Ardingly?
Hurstpierpoint?
Great Walstead?
Burgess Hill SFG?
Cumnor House?
Brambletye?

Ardingly in particular is becoming very fashionable - amazing extra curricular, great pastoral, lots of investment in facilities underway, best results in the county.

Brambletye also really amazing but recent massive price hike in fees!

Zigster Tue 27-Oct-15 20:09:47

Thought I'd reopen this thread to say that Tavistock & Summerhill has closed. This seems quite sudden - apparently they sent an email to parents yesterday saying that it is closed with immediate effect.

There have been rumours for a while. I know a few children there and the numbers just didn't seem to stack up to make it financially viable. A nasty half-term shock for the parents, though, who have just a few days to make alternative arrangements. Great Walstead apparently has some spare places at the moment - but I can see those being taken up pretty quickly. The local State schools are all pretty chocka so I can't see them being able to absorb the extra 100 kids that will be looking for a new school.

Richjord Tue 27-Oct-15 20:29:34

Hi
I have two children at Redehall preparatory school- one in year 3 and the other in year 6 , Smallfield. Low fees and small classes sizes.
Excellent education/
Thoroughly recommend

teacherjane Wed 28-Oct-15 08:53:22

I had a long association with Tavistock as a member of staff and as a parent and cannot speak highly enough of the school. It always had an excellent academic record, and although its grounds and facilities could not compete with other local prep schools, it made up for this with it's dedicated and enthusiastic staff. Every child was nurtured in a warm,caring environment.
The school was badly managed by a team of disinterested governors and this led to its near-closure in 2011. Since then the school has been beset with problems in its bid to increase numbers. Unfounded rumours about its financial difficulties have made it almost impossible to attract a substantial increase in pupil numbers. This situation was compounded in the summer when an ex - member of staff launched a personal vendetta against the school and behaved in an appallingly unprofessional manner.
How sad that this wonderful, caring school -so recently having employed a new motivational head- should have had to close.

sportYmumof3 Wed 28-Oct-15 12:07:29

As an ex-parent of Copthorne, would strongly recommend Tavistock & Summerhill parents look at that prep school too. I know they run buses around the area, have a great after school programme and the results are excellent - my 3 kids all did really well there! Susie, ex-Copthorne parent

RedehallHead Wed 28-Oct-15 16:22:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hunterj Wed 28-Oct-15 23:05:19

I have 2 children at Redehall, one in Year 2 and one in Nursery. My children love it and so do we. I really can't speak highly enough of the school! The children are confident and well mannered and extremely caring towards one another. I have found the teachers to be exceptional, bringing out the best in my girls. The headmistress is totally dedicated to the school and the children and since she has been in post, Redehall really has excelled! In my opinion the Pastoral care is second to none and happy children make successful learning. I honestly can't fault Redehall and if you are looking for a school place, I would highly recommend attending one of their open mornings, you really won't be disappointed!

workingdad34 Fri 30-Oct-15 07:44:45

Very sad that Tavi is closing however it doesn't come as a surprise. They lost an excellent reception teacher at the end of last term and the governers had a couple of really bad parents meetings over the summer where they scared a lot of them into leaving (saying that the school is closing only to say a few days later it's not doesn't help!). A lot of parents that didn't pull there kids out over the summer were planning to at Christmas. It's really sad. Before this happened the school numbers were increasing and the new head teacher looked like she would do an excellent job - we were just beginning to see some of her changes coming through.

BrendaandEddie Fri 30-Oct-15 08:03:36

This is like a long sponsored advert

mumofone50 Wed 04-Nov-15 14:48:05

The "bad" meetings with parents at Tavi over the summer were held by a group of parents who wanted to try and keep the school open (not the listed Governors). Ultimately lack of pupil numbers around 60 (20 left over the summer) closed the school. The current board worked very hard over the past 4 years to secure the school's future, including looking for investors to buy the land and investing their own monies to try and keep the business afloat all to no avail. It is very, very sad for all the parents, pupils and staff and all those who worked hard to keep the school going.

joedonegan Tue 07-Jun-16 16:53:08

Although I'm not necessarily a mother and yes I know I violated the terms, yet I was curious to know, as I was a student in year 4,5 and 6 - when the FIRST crisis happened after the bursar was telling people not to come to Tavistock. What actually happened about the ex - teacher scenario? I think i know who it was and I know this thread is pretty much dead yet I just wanted to know as It was after my time.
Regards
Joe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now