Talk

Advanced search

Made to order uniform

(25 Posts)
mummybear701 Thu 23-Jul-15 14:46:34

I guess we all know the nightmare of shopping for uniform and finding 'off the rack' items either out of proportion to our dc or right sizes in unsuitable style or colour. Has anyone found an online shop that will simply take measurements and make the garments at a reasonable price, for cardis, blazers, skirts, trousers and things like that, in the style and colour you give? Some local stores do but its extortionate.

futureme Thu 23-Jul-15 14:48:46

I imagine it would be extortionate anywhere. Surely you get used to which shops suit your child just as you do with your own clothes?

I look for adjustable waists for my infant child as shes tall and slim, some shops cater for larger sized kids it seems. Its easier to order a few bits, rry them on and order the rest though than have them made especially surely!?

LIZS Thu 23-Jul-15 14:53:37

Dc school shop ordered a swimsuit in a smaller size in correct colours from the supplier. They also do different waist/length combinations for skirts and trousers and blazers with chest/bust /sleeve lengths.

Dancingqueen17 Thu 23-Jul-15 16:23:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummybear701 Thu 23-Jul-15 17:09:04

Clearly no takers for such an option. Of course we can get items that 'will do' even if it means skirts quite short or too large and same with upper body. Compromise is the name of the game. Just wondered if there was a suitable alternative, like we do for eldest dance outfits (highland) albeit these are much closer fitting.

magichamster Thu 23-Jul-15 17:18:17

Does the uniform have unusual colours or rules about fit/length?

If it's fairly normal then try describing your particular fit problem, and someone is bound to have found a shop that suits - each shop really does have different fits. For example I have a super skinny ds and Next slim fit trousers both fit without having lots of extra material around the waist and make him look slightly chunkier (which in his case is a good thing!).

I've not found a solution for blazers though. Skinny fit navy blazer anyone?

magichamster Thu 23-Jul-15 17:18:32

Does the uniform have unusual colours or rules about fit/length?

If it's fairly normal then try describing your particular fit problem, and someone is bound to have found a shop that suits - each shop really does have different fits. For example I have a super skinny ds and Next slim fit trousers both fit without having lots of extra material around the waist and make him look slightly chunkier (which in his case is a good thing!).

I've not found a solution for blazers though. Skinny fit navy blazer anyone?

magichamster Thu 23-Jul-15 17:18:56

oops sorry for posting twice!

futureme Thu 23-Jul-15 17:33:02

Do you get all your clothes made to measure? Im completely baffled why anyone would consider this to be honest.

With so many stores selling school uniform in different styles and fits why would you be "making do" anymore than you are buying clothes for yourself,

I agree if theres a particular problem mn is fantastic. Just start a post with "where should i buy uniform for myshort but broad/long legged/ skinny/whatever child!" Or if necessary get long trousers or skirts altered etc.

Bunbaker Thu 23-Jul-15 17:37:52

One item that simply is not available is knee length black skirts that will fit DD. She is 15, nearly 5'6" and a size 8. I can find age 15 school skirts - that are about a size 14 round the waist, or size 8 skirts that are too short.

She was pulled into the school hall with about 100 other girls for wearing a skirt that was too short.

Any suggestions anyone?

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 23-Jul-15 17:45:33

Have you tried BHS linger length skirts

mummybear701 Thu 23-Jul-15 17:46:15

Well I think at least my second post made it clear the main issue finding a suitable skirt as she is about my height (5 foot 4) but has a skinny waist probably from all the exercise she does. It has to be black and knee length.

Schrodingersmum Thu 23-Jul-15 21:04:31

Have you tried a uniform supplier shop? Our school has a set skirt available in multiple lengths and waist sizes so even my size 4 5ft girl can get one to fit and our skirt has to be on the knee. The skirts are made by trutex and you may be able to find them in online shops

Bunbaker Thu 23-Jul-15 21:28:48

I have tried our uniform supplier shop, which is in a town not known for its svelte population. All the longer skirts are in a style that DD won't wear and way too wide for her. I would have to take them to be altered.

I will look in BHS, although previous experience has shown that they cater for fatter children, but not slimmer ones.

Bunbaker Thu 23-Jul-15 21:36:02

Just looked at Trutex. The longets skirt that would fit DD is 22" long, which is far too short for the uniform Nazis (DD has very long legs)

noisytoys Thu 23-Jul-15 21:48:47

Have you tried Next. Each style comes in slim / standard / plus fit and short / regular / long I can't imagine the vast mix of combinations won't fit your child.

Bunbaker Thu 23-Jul-15 22:12:17

I have to order online from Next as their local branches have a policy of not stocking teen sizes in store. They don't state their skirt lengths and I can see me ordering loads of stuff only to send it back. DD's school have been really getting their knickers in a twist about skirt lengths recently.

magichamster Fri 24-Jul-15 08:12:37

I find ordering a load of stuff in different sizes from Next then sending back what doesn't fit the easiest way to get uniform for dos. And I say that as someone who lives a 45 minute drive from the nearest Next. He's 13, in age 15 slim fit trousers and I think will soon ne in the adult sizes. Have you tried the women's department of shops?

Bunbaker Fri 24-Jul-15 08:22:57

I have but at this time of year I can't find knee length black skirts. I think I might have more luck if I wait a few weeks.

The thing is, what is knee length on most people is well above the knee on DD because she has long legs. She isn't quite as tall as me (5'7"), but her legs are longer.

SwearyGodmother Fri 24-Jul-15 08:25:25

Can you get a skirt that is the right length and kind of fits and then take it to your local dry cleaner to be altered? Should only cost a few pounds to have the waist and hips taken in. The added bonus being it can be let out if she fills out a bit over the year.

glorious Fri 24-Jul-15 08:31:19

I'm a size 8 and 5' 6" and I have no problems finding knee length skirts that will fit. Are you looking at adult office wear ranges? Maybe Zara, they are often good for smaller sizes, or Next petites.

Perhaps the problem is those long legs though, I'd say mine are average.

Bunbaker Fri 24-Jul-15 08:38:37

I did see some nice pencil skirts in Next a few weeks ago, but DD didn't like them. She doesn't want a pencil skirt, or a pleated skirt. Ultimately she will probably end up wearing something she doesn't like if I can't find exactly what she wants because "them's the rules"

Lurkedforever1 Tue 28-Jul-15 14:13:31

bunbaker dd is 11, a v small 6 or 4 with 33" inside leg. ( no hips typical prepubescent body) There is office wear that might suit yours with her being older, or even smart casual in places like tkmaxx that won't look like adult work wear. Alternatively as her legs have grown and nowhere else over last 2 years I've bought dd stuff that fits length wise and found a local place that does alterations. After deciding that yanking in adjustable waists still left them too short with enough flapping material to tuck her coat in. Luckily her secondary aren't too strict on skirt length and seem to have lots of leggy girls who fit in their school shop skirts. Can't wait.

Binit Tue 28-Jul-15 14:24:29

I have one dc that wears uniform off the rack with no issues and one that's really difficult to fit plus SN issues with certain items. I buy the uniform and then generally alter it myself. If the alteration is too difficult for me, I take it to my local sewing shop. Mostly I can do it myself as it's a bit pricey to have done.

In your position, it seems like your dd is too tall and skinny for an off the rack pencil skirt. You have 2 options - buy a longer black skirt and have it taken up to knee length or buy a suitable length skirt that's too wide for her and get it narrowed. You could go to the sewing shop and ask their advice, which option would be easier/cheaper.

Otherwise you might have a friend capable of making the item. My friend's mum made her ds a pair of school trousers, his body shape was really unusual.

PettsWoodParadise Thu 30-Jul-15 18:53:59

My sewing machine gets a lot of use helping out friends with precisely this problem. It is amazing how easy it is to put a few darts in the waist of a skirt to make it a flattering fit. Dry cleaners often have alteration services too. However if 100 girls in the school all have the same problem it sounds as though the challenge is a big one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now