Talk

Advanced search

Work good... Presentation possibly done by a chimpanzee with a crayon?

(15 Posts)
chocolatechip123 Tue 14-Jul-15 18:32:42

That's the basic upshot of just about every single subject review of DSs end of year school report.

Is there anything I can do to help him present his work neater, be more methodical and remember to show his working outs (and check his works)?He seems to think about the work, then throw everything at the page then rush to the next thing.

Lweji Tue 14-Jul-15 21:07:03

How old is he?

Have you tried erasing it all until he presents it in a readable way?

chocolatechip123 Wed 15-Jul-15 07:10:31

He's 10! He just seems to rush to get it done and put if the way.

Lweji Wed 15-Jul-15 08:08:03

Not too dissimilar to mine, then. smile

Yes, just don't accept it and make him do it again more carefully until he realises that it's less work to do it properly.

chocolatechip123 Wed 15-Jul-15 08:35:04

It's not just homework - it's schoolwork too! I don't have the time these days to loiter over him when he does his work and he knows well that if he draaaaaags it out, we run out of time!

I was hoping there would be some exercises or hobbies that would help him to focus and remember - don't rush the work, clear all the crap off your desk before you start, stop fiddling with that rubies cube whilst you work!, sit on the chair properly - not perched like a gargoyle, read the question and number of marks needed before you start to write, do a plan!, check your work, write neatly, sharpen the pencil! Arrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 15-Jul-15 08:37:38

School need to put in a system of rewarding his presentation. We ran into a similar problem though earlier and school emphasised to DD that it was no good getting it all done if it was so poorly presented you got no marks.
She was given targets of slowing down, presenting all working out and easily readable. Completion came later.

derektheladyhamster Wed 15-Jul-15 08:37:58

I'm still waiting for my 15 yr old to do all that grin

Lweji Wed 15-Jul-15 09:53:15

My experience is that the first times are the hardest. If you keep at it, then things tend to settle and he would do it more carefully in future
What if he doesn't make his homework? He will face the consequences.

But, actually, unless the teacher says it's a problem, just let him be.

chocolatechip123 Wed 15-Jul-15 09:56:17

Its just about all his teachers saying this 'Work great - presentation and detail terrible!'

Lweji Wed 15-Jul-15 10:57:57

And what are they doing about it?

chocolatechip123 Wed 15-Jul-15 11:33:40

Telling us to tell him!.... hmmmmmm

Essexmum69 Wed 15-Jul-15 17:43:45

Ditto. I have the exact same problem with my 10 year old. Every teacher has had the same problem with him. Partly the problem is for DS I think a lack of fine motor skill as his drawing and colouring are both still dreadful. His first Art report from secondary school is going to be shocking I'm sure.
But also one of his teachers told me that she thought his thought process was too fast for his writing. So his brain is running ahead of his ability to get it down on paper, which is why it always looks such a mess and some steps in a story or his maths working out never actually make it onto the paper! No idea how to solve it though.

OddBoots Wed 15-Jul-15 17:53:39

What is his pan control like when he is really trying his best? Is he actually able to write neatly?

We didn't realise at that age that my ds has hypermobility and it is worst in his hands, holding a pen is very difficult and painful for him, I realise this is rare but I thought I would mention it as I regret how tough I was on him.

OddBoots Wed 15-Jul-15 17:54:02

Sorry, 'pen control' I mean.

chocolatechip123 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:33:00

He can write neatly (if bribed sufficiently). He does everything a million miles an hour, why he is in such a rush, who knows?

Maybe its also attention span (or lack of). I know some kids can concentrate on a book or hobby for hours, but not littlechip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now