Talk

Advanced search

Unsure whether to have my DS assessed for dyslexia

(9 Posts)
MabelSideswipe Fri 10-Jul-15 14:00:56

Wonder if someone with some insight can help me. My DS2 is 7 and will be in year 3 in September.

In year 1 his teacher told me that she thought he had some issues with processing information and might be dyslexic. He had trouble following more than one instruction in sequence and needed support in the class to carry out tasks. She was very helpful and wrote him an IEP.

Then he went into year 2 and the teacher has been much less helpful. He still has his IEP although I am not convinced this is being followed. His problems carrying out instructions in sequence has got much better, his reading is good and his writing is untidy but not any worse and maybe better than his brother at that age. His spelling is good unless he is asked to write it in a sentence in a test.

His major issue is with numbers. He just does not 'get' maths at all. He can't see pattern in numbers. Confuses numbers when they are written down so will say 50 for 15 and vice versa, frequently writes numbers backwards, can only add and subtract using fingers, a number square or counters. The class is moving on to multiplication and learning tables and he won't mange this! Number bonds were a disaster, he learns them by rote but they don't seem to mean anything to him and then be has forgotten them by the next day.

He has been assessed at school for dyslexia using a computer program which concluded that he was at moderate risk of being dyslexic. I asked if I should get him formally assessed and the teacher said there was no point as they would not do anything differently.....hmmmm. T

I now see from my own research that if a moderate or high risk is flagged up then formal assessment is recommended. Locally the formal assessment costs £530. So do I go for it? Its with a Educational Psychologist so I expect she will be able to help us, help him whatever the outcome.

There is a part of me that thinks I am just being an hysterical parent trying to find a reason why my son is struggling when the only reason is his intelligence!

noblegiraffe Fri 10-Jul-15 14:05:02

Primary might not do anything different because they 'know him' but you would find a formal diagnosis very useful for accessing support, exam arrangements etc at secondary.

MabelSideswipe Fri 10-Jul-15 14:21:40

The primary he is at has a useless SENCO despite being 'outstanding'. I know of at least 2 other puplis with dyslexia who were pulled out.

Schrodingersmum Fri 10-Jul-15 14:48:23

It may be a good idea as some of the things you describe could also be indicators of dyspraxia and dyscalcula. A good ed psych should identify that and will allow early strategies to be implemented if necessary

MabelSideswipe Fri 10-Jul-15 16:40:31

Great thanks for your help.

mrz Fri 10-Jul-15 16:51:33

You don't need a diagnosis to access support or additional time in exams in secondary

noblegiraffe Fri 10-Jul-15 17:47:13

No you don't, but a kid with a diagnosis of dyslexia would automatically be on the radar for collecting evidence for needing extra time in exams, so an application would be straightforward.

I taught a girl who we knew had some processing issues but no diagnosis. She got a diagnosis of dyslexia in Y12 and then arrangements were made for her to get extra time in her AS levels. She had sat all her GCSEs without any extra time because she hadn't been on the radar, undoubtedly her results would have been better if she had had an earlier diagnosis, because she would have been in the system.

mrz Fri 10-Jul-15 19:58:56

Surely you know your class's strengths and weaknesses and act accordingly without a diagnosis

noblegiraffe Fri 10-Jul-15 20:40:46

Not in secondary where you see hundreds of kids a week?

But even if a teacher knows a kid's weaknesses, that's not going to get them extra time or a scribe. That requires the SEN department who don't even teach the child to make an application.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now