Talk

Advanced search

Advice on DBS Issue

(19 Posts)
cedricdoris1 Mon 06-Jul-15 20:58:00

I wonder if anyone can advise on the following please:
Youngest is getting a new child in their class in September.
This new to the class child's father has been 'flagged' as known to the police for sexual grooming.
What, if anything, should I be doing/discussing with the school about this known person and their involvement, or ideally not, with the school? Can this person be barred from the school grounds etc., etc.
Any advice very gratefully received.

callamia Mon 06-Jul-15 21:01:42

How do you know about this father's situation? I assume the school can not discuss individual children's cases with anyone else, and will tell you that they have safeguarding policies to manage all children's safety.

SerialBox Mon 06-Jul-15 21:03:43

Yeah how do you know?

pollyisnotputtingthekettleon Mon 06-Jul-15 21:06:32

I know of one father not allowed in school grounds and the police are called. However Im not sure how as a parent you could possibly be party to this. Has the father got contact? If not is he aware of where DC is? I can only assume you are concerned for your own DC in which case stranger danger is key message.

cedricdoris1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:15:00

It is known amongst the parents of the year group. I understand the school cannot discuss individual cases nor would I expect them too. they do have a safeguarding policy. I am concerned for my own child and what possibility there is of him coming into contact. Thank you.

Hassled Mon 06-Jul-15 21:15:27

I don't think you should be doing or discussing anything with the school unless you have good reason to believe that they are unaware. Which is highly unlikely - there would be Social Services involvement with the family who would be liaising with the school.

cedricdoris1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:16:44

Ok thank you - I feel better about this now.

LIZS Mon 06-Jul-15 21:18:54

If he is on the offenders register he is likely to be excluded anyway. In what way would you envisage contact with your child?

Catmint Mon 06-Jul-15 21:21:47

DBS checks can only legally be made on people who are in volunteer or employed roles which are specified in law as being entitled to be checked.

cedricdoris1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:22:08

I had concerns that he would be picking up or helping out on trips or the like. If he is on a register are schools automatically advised of that then?

cedricdoris1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:22:29

Picking up his child - not mine!!

LIZS Mon 06-Jul-15 21:24:03

He wouldn't have unsupervised access without a DBS in place anyway and police involvement is likely to show even if he ever got to the point of applying . It is a safeguarding issue not DBS.

pollyisnotputtingthekettleon Mon 06-Jul-15 21:26:30

It wouldnt hurt to mention your concerns to a staff member. They may not be able to give you information however they can give reassurance on trips helpers reading etc.

Greythorne Mon 06-Jul-15 21:28:17

Stranger danger is a very out of fashion concept.

cedricdoris1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:31:57

Thank you everyone for your advice. I do feel assured by all your comments.

Q0FE Mon 06-Jul-15 21:34:37

'Stranger danger' isn't a message that's going to help much when the potential danger is a schoolfriend's father though is it confused

Q0FE Mon 06-Jul-15 21:36:58

In your situation I'd speak to the school btw cedricdoris

They should be able to reassure you without going into specifics or breaching anyone's privacy as its an important safeguarding issue that they will presumably have policies and procedures in place to deal with.

pollyisnotputtingthekettleon Mon 06-Jul-15 21:40:44

Yep knew youd say that .... i tell my children about those mommy knows and those mommy doesnt. Not that difficult really. Any concern for this child??

mummytime Mon 06-Jul-15 22:00:50

Volunteers including on trips usually need DBS anyway.
As for social events, if the father is a risk his probation conditions will prevent him from certain activities.

The school will be fully aware and will be taking professional advice.

(My DCs school had someone who came from a witness protection programme, they had a lot of advice and implemented special measures - and I have no idea who it was.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now