Talk

Advanced search

Tutor rates advice?

(10 Posts)
TownhouseMummy Fri 03-Jul-15 18:24:25

For the past 6 months I have been tutoring through an agency, maths and science up to gcse, including pupils at a top independent school working towards an A*. I've had excellent feedback but due to agency fees only earning £18 per hour (less in fact when transport time/costs and prep work are taken into account). I believe the parents pay a much larger sum but I do not know how much. Now I have been asked to tutor a couple of gcse students referred by a teaching friend. I am based in Cambridge, no teaching qualifications but a Cambridge science degree (and excellent feedback from parents). How much do I charge? Is £25 an hour reasonable and do I add transport costs?

MN164 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:50:15

That would be reasonable, I think. Especially if you have a track record of success.

Come to London - £50 an hour is not unheard of .....

honeysucklejasmine Fri 03-Jul-15 19:54:06

£30-40 is more usual.

Mominatrix Fri 03-Jul-15 22:25:58

Here in west London, £50/hr is pretty standard. However, Uber tutors get much more - I know one very in demand 7+ tutor who gets £100/hr plus expenses shock!

whojamaflip Fri 03-Jul-15 22:31:29

I pay £25 per hour for a maths tutor for ds - only sees her every 2 weeks as she is so busy.

In the Cotswolds btw

TownhouseMummy Fri 03-Jul-15 22:45:37

Thanks all. I'll probably go with £30 for the time-being given I've not got masses of experience just yet. I know my bil charges £35 (Qts) and others do charge up to £50 around here. I would love to know how much my current clients are paying the agency!

peteneras Sat 04-Jul-15 01:01:26

What's stopping you to ask them (your students)?

AtiaoftheJulii Sat 04-Jul-15 08:07:28

I stopped a year ago, but I used to charge £24-30 depending on level - at my house. If I had to go out I added an extra half hour's charge for the extra time and expense.

TownhouseMummy Sat 04-Jul-15 21:13:52

I'll go to their house so I think £30 will be very reasonable to begin with. Might go up to £35 with a bit more experience.

MagratGarlik Thu 09-Jul-15 00:07:23

Get someone to phone the agency as a prospective student and find out!

Also, consider joining The Tutors Association thetutorsassociation.org.uk/ who check out your qualifications, client references etc to check your qualifications for tutoring, but also provide support for you and an independent body to refer to for you or your clients if there are any issues. You can also get discounted professional indemnity and public liability insurances, discounted accountants rates and legal back-up.

You will also get contact with other tutors and access to CPD. The rates are very reasonable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now