Talk

Advanced search

Heatwave & School Uniforms - Should they be wearing it?

(9 Posts)
MumofSilver Tue 30-Jun-15 07:37:02

My DS has just informed me that he has been instructed he 'might' be allowed to take off his blazer in the heat wave whilst in class. But their ties must be kept on at all times and blazers worn for transit between classes.....

Having lived in a hot climate, schools had air con classrooms & kids were in shorts and t-shirts; office workers open necked shirts etc. Team that with they are used to the heat and we in the UK are not.

I'm all for a good school image, upholding standards etc, but surely child welfare, comfort and common sense should prevail here rather than that? Thoughts anybody?

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 30-Jun-15 07:39:29

We received a parentmail yesterday saying that ties and blazers are optional for the rest of this week.

veiledsentiments Tue 30-Jun-15 07:42:30

I live in the ME. It's 45+ C°. My daughter is wearing a cardigan to school. Bonkers.

YesThisIsMe Tue 30-Jun-15 07:44:22

Is your DD's classroom airconditioned to arctic levels though veiled?

MarmiteAndButter Tue 30-Jun-15 07:45:22

I also live in the ME. Mine wore blazers and ties to school as normal grin
God, we are going to be so cold when we get back to the UK's "heatwave" this week!

AuntieStella Tue 30-Jun-15 07:46:16

Yes, they should be wearing school uniform.

Yes. The school should be able to announce suitable adjustments when there is adverse weather.

The choice is not "uniform v common sense"

It is "absence of common sense v common sense"

(At our secondary, you have to have your blazer/tie with you, but they can be taken off when hot. Primary uniform is based on shorts/polo shirt or summer dress anyhow).

Frusso Tue 30-Jun-15 07:49:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MumofSilver Tue 30-Jun-15 07:49:50

Auntiestella I agree, wear school uniform, but take off tie and blazer if needed. It is the fact they have been told they will be permitted to that has rattled my cage!

MumofSilver Tue 30-Jun-15 07:52:57

We were when we came back to last August's 'coldwave'! Aircon in your classrooms btw? We did in ours, we were often chilly, kids would have loved blazers there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now