Talk

Advanced search

Hosting a French Student & School ?

(11 Posts)
Oxfordblue Thu 25-Jun-15 12:26:20

I'd like to host a French student, similar age to my DD's. We have one possibility & the agency has asked if she can go to school.

The primary has said no due to insurance & the secondary are looking into it.

Seems a bit daft to me & an excellent 'enrichment' for all kids to have a 'foreigner' in their midst.

Is there an official route etc to request this ? I've had a look but can't find anything.

Bonsoir Thu 25-Jun-15 12:34:19

It is up to the school and there really isn't any point pushing it if the school isn't going to make the French exchange student welcome. You definitely won't find an official route in.

Bonsoir Thu 25-Jun-15 12:35:11

It's also likely to be more beneficial to the student to attend a holiday activity (with your DC) rather than school.

Oxfordblue Thu 25-Jun-15 12:49:39

Bonsoir, the family can only do 1 date & have requested the child attend school.

No wonder most of us can't speak a foreign language...confused

Bonsoir Thu 25-Jun-15 13:01:28

Some English private schools host short-term boarders (2 to 5 weeks) but even they put on special language classes (i.e. the overseas children cannot attend mainstream classes) in the first instance before assessing whether the overseas pupils have sufficient skills to benefit from being in mainstream classes.

The suggestion being made in the OP comes from a position of ignorance about the market and the realities!

Heels99 Thu 25-Jun-15 13:04:05

Children on foreign language exchanges often attend school,with their host children but that's usually exchanges arranged directly by the schools.
I think you will struggle to get a school to take an additional unknown pupil for a week whether from UK or overseas.

My friend has foreign students to stay, usually they come in the holidays so couldn't attend school anyway. It is quite hard work entertaining them 24/7

Oxfordblue Thu 25-Jun-15 13:05:15

Er...who else are you talking to? It's only us on the thread...sound like you're addressing an audience.

Yes maybe I am ignorant - that's why I'm asking questions - I want my DD's to embrace languages.

Oxfordblue Thu 25-Jun-15 13:07:45

Thanks Heels..I'm new to this. I've asked the agency if they can request the French school to request an exchange.

Seems a great opportunity & I would do it in summer hols but they are fixed on dates.

mummytime Thu 25-Jun-15 14:12:08

My DCs school will not do this, unless it is via the school organised exchanges. Quite simply they would have far too many children coming in and all at different times, it would be a logistical nightmare, and a possible safeguarding one (when they have the school organised exchanges the visiting schools teachers are on the premises to deal with problems).

Oxfordblue Fri 26-Jun-15 08:19:59

Just had a message from secondary school & they are happy to do it !
As long as my daughter doesn't get too chatty in class..

Oxfordblue Fri 26-Jun-15 17:32:38

Just in case anyone else is interested in this, the agency have public liability insurance to cover the child.

So far as kids coming & going, I'm not sure this is the case at all...how many families actually do it.

Hope it all goes well !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now