Talk

Advanced search

Dd year 10 has no confidence in maths. What books/online stuff can you recommend?

(24 Posts)
nattarji Thu 18-Jun-15 21:45:51

She panics in exams - she says she understands things but I suspect she doesn't. She got 20 percent in her recent exam - mainly trigonometry which she doesn't understand at all. Teacher is clearly not getting through to her so I need to step in over the holidays. Anything anyone can recommend - books, online stuff?

PurpleDaisies Thu 18-Jun-15 21:50:26

Can you afford a tutor? I'm a private tutor and often work with children like your daughter and one to one is brilliant for confidence building and sorting out problems.

nattarji Thu 18-Jun-15 21:52:36

I think we may have to.

nattarji Thu 18-Jun-15 21:53:00

How much are tutors??

PurpleDaisies Thu 18-Jun-15 21:56:59

It depends whereabouts in the country you are. Probably somewhere around £20-30 an hour. If you google local maths tutors they'll give you an idea.

If there are specific topics your daughter is stuck on she might not need loads of lessons to sort it out. Online and books are ok, but if she's totally stuck it might not be all that helpful.

castlesintheair Thu 18-Jun-15 22:00:48

I found the Galore Park books good. Some of the stuff is for younger years 13+ exams etc, but you may want to take her back to basics a bit so she really understands it. If you google them there are free worksheets. She can do them on her own as well. I found the Maths Revision Guide ISEB useful.

castlesintheair Thu 18-Jun-15 22:02:29

Also the BBC bitesize website are good for explanations / practice.

Whyjustwhy Thu 18-Jun-15 22:19:24

I would second the recommendation of a tutor. DDs confidence in her maths ability, and her results, have both rocketed since she started having a regular 1-2-1 tutor.

nattarji Thu 18-Jun-15 22:20:42

I'll talk to her school and see what they recommend. Is the end of year 10 too late???

PurpleDaisies Thu 18-Jun-15 22:23:16

Definitely not too late. You've still got a year before exams and that's plenty of time if she's prepared to work hard and practise a lot.

Really good luck to your daughter, whatever you decide to do.

jeanne16 Fri 19-Jun-15 06:47:46

The CGP maths revision workbook plus the DVD is quite accessible. Your DD can run through the lessons on the DVD and then try the exercises in the workbook.

JustRichmal Sat 20-Jun-15 09:55:03

I taught dd maths using the Letts revision guide and workbook. I used to go over about 3 sections of the book each lesson, and repeat each section three times, moving one section on each time. I used to have an A4 pad of graph paper to scribble down examples for her to work through as we went through each section. Each lesson something new would be introduced. It did not matter if she did not understand it, as this was just first time through. Children learn so much easier when the anxiety of not being able to understand is taken away. Also, IME, the best way to learn maths is to walk away from it and do something else, because the subconscious uses that time to work on it. Then when you get back to it, it seems easier.

She would then do the workbook by herself. There were some bits of the syllabus I struggled with, but happily Khan Academy has clear explanations on most topics.

Nearer to the exam, it is worth doing as many papers as possible and getting your dd to look through the mark scheme and examiner's report. She can then see where she is loosing marks and how she could get those extra few marks which could take her up a grade or even 2.

Lastly, trigonometry is something I remember struggling with at school. I hated just learning the formulae with no real insight into why they worked. Here again, Sal Khan, who set up Khan Academy, is very much pro an understanding of why and not just how being taught in maths. It could be well worth your dd looking at Khan Academy videos on trigonometry to se it suits her learning style. If she does, remind her to pause the video to try to work through the examples. People learn so much more by doing than by being told.

balletgirlmum Sat 20-Jun-15 09:58:09

Dd has found Khan Academy very helpful.

JustRichmal Sat 20-Jun-15 10:52:54

There is also Hegartymaths. I have never used it, but it is supposed to be good and the teacher who set it up has won an award for it. Also it is English, so will follow the curriculum.

Michaelahpurple Sat 20-Jun-15 20:05:50

I would send khan academy. Need to get oriented but you can find specific topics and they work through them well

Michaelahpurple Sat 20-Jun-15 20:06:14

Sorry - "second", not "send"

woodlands01 Sun 21-Jun-15 09:20:59

Maths teacher here - in order:

Tutor - experienced in GCSE teaching at the grade your daughter is aspiring too (schools are increasingly employing tutors for one-to-one or small group intervention work at GCSE. It may be worth talking to them about whether they do this or whether you daughter can attend (sometimes funding issues mean they are targeted at certain students only)
CGP guides - school may order them for you at reduced rates
Mymaths.co.uk - if your school subscribes
Mathswatch - if your school subscribes
Hegartymaths - my year 11s found very useful for analysing exam papers
Khan academy - unsure, I have seen a couple of weird teaching methods which has put me off

Hope this is useful

ValancyJane Sun 21-Jun-15 20:36:26

My Mum got me a Maths tutor for Year 11, a fantastic lady who used to teach maths but had retired, she just had endless patience and went at my pace, it's the only reason I got a C at GCSE. It made such a difference, if you can afford it I would recommend it.

JustRichmal Mon 22-Jun-15 06:53:44

Woodlands my dd is moving on to A level and uses Khan Academy quite a bit. I have heard others say it has problems, but have never found it so. Could you please send a linky to an example of the problem videos so I can assess if it is suitable?

Bunbaker Mon 22-Jun-15 07:11:04

What online learning sites does the school subscribe to?

DD's school uses MyMaths and DD (also year 10) did loads of practice questions on it before her maths GSCE mock exams, which she did very well in. It has helped her massively.

mrsdavidbowie Mon 22-Jun-15 07:14:24

Dd had a maths tutor from year ten. She was like a rabbit caught in headlights with maths.. And had exam anxiety too.
So every Sunday at 9am she had an hour.
She got a C.
Early.

Then of course school wanted her to retake to get a B...I refused.

It made such a difference to her.

cosytoaster Mon 22-Jun-15 07:25:49

My DS has just taken his GSCE and may well have failed, I bought him lots of study guides and found websites etc but if I could turn the clock back a year I would definitely get a tutor

Mellifera Mon 22-Jun-15 07:35:46

At the end of year 10 I would consider a tutor, too. She would possibly be unable to identify where her gaps are, at least not fast enough to sort them out before GCSEs.

My DD (year11) had a few hours Further Maths tuition in May, to help her with GCsE, it was very very useful as the school didn't teach them properly

DS (year9) will have a maths tutor next year, because he is like your DD, he is stressed in exams and makes mistakes if the stuff isn't 100% understood.
He has two years until GCSE but he will probably go to the tutor once a fortnight to start filling the gaps and building up confidence.

nattarji Tue 23-Jun-15 11:03:52

Thanks all. We had a meeting with her maths teacher yesterday and she has recommended both some books (not the ones that I had bought, grrr! I bought CGP and she recommended Letts Intermediate) and a tutor. I am emailing the tutor today and planning a session every week through the holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now