French primary school in Glasgow (Bearsden)

(15 Posts)
kingenjennifer Wed 17-Jun-15 11:16:30

Hello everyone,

My husband and I will move to Glasgow this summer, in the area of Bearsden. We are from Belgium, french speaking part, and we have a little girl (5years old). I wondered if some of you could help us to find the best school for our girl, I am looking for a french/english primary school.

I would welcome any advice,

Thanks in advance,

Jen

GloriaPritchett Wed 17-Jun-15 15:33:27

Hi. All primary schools will teach in English, I'm afraid. Many primary schools do offer French, but it will be extremely basic and unlikely to be no more than an hour a week.

I know that Bearsden Primary does French in P5, 6 and 7, but depending on the age of your little girl she would be P1 or 2.

There is a new government initiative focusing on languages from P1, but it won't be law until 2020.

Are you looking for a Catholic school or non-denominational?

Bonsoir Wed 17-Jun-15 15:38:03

I haven't found any information for Glasgow but you could try this lady in Edinburgh who may be able to help you or point you in the direction of someone who could:

La petite école d'Edimbourg (Edimbourg)
Responsable : Claire Bradbury
Email : petite.ecole.francaise@googlemail.com
Adresse : James Gillespie High School, Edimbourg
Jours de cours : Durant l'année scolaire, le mardi (16h00 - 18h00) et samedi (10h00 - 12h00).

SantanaLopez Wed 17-Jun-15 15:38:59

Bearsden is East Dumbartonshire rather than Glasgow if that helps.

Bonsoir Wed 17-Jun-15 15:39:51

And try this website for much more information about French and bilingual schooling in the UK:

www.avenuedesecoles.com

Mamab33 Wed 17-Jun-15 15:47:41

Try afglasgow.org.uk

MoragG Wed 17-Jun-15 16:17:02

See afglasgow.org.uk/Children-and-Teenagers-Courses.html for more info on courses fun by the Alliance Française in Glasgow for children. There has been a class running in a Tuesday afternoon at Bearsden Primary, but I think it was advertised as being from age 6 onwards.

Bonsoir Wed 17-Jun-15 16:21:21

I think the Alliance Française is only teaching French as a MFL, not to native speakers. But it may have information for native speakers.

kingenjennifer Fri 19-Jun-15 12:42:32

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for all your information. I also have the feeling that it will be difficult for us to find a bilingual school. Regarding the difference between catholic and non-denominational schools, I don't really know what is the best to choose so again all advices are welcome.

Thanks again,

Jen

Bonsoir Fri 19-Jun-15 12:58:29

Catholic schools can be a good choice though you need to research your local area carefully. Are you regular worshippers at a church near you and would your priest be able to support your application with a statement/letter? Is your DC baptised?

Branleuse Fri 19-Jun-15 13:08:44

You would be very lucky to find a bilingual french school outside of london tbh

ladygaga1980 Fri 19-Jun-15 13:14:29

Although there is the Gaelic school of course smile

GloriaPritchett Fri 19-Jun-15 16:52:00

Is there a Gaelic school in E.D.?

You don't need a priest's letter. If you live in catchment and there is a space in the appropriate class, you will get it.

Non-denominational schools will be loosely linked with Christianity, but it depends on how strict the head teacher is.

Catholic schools will pray 4 times a day (morning, 2 x grace, night), attend Mass monthly and follow the Catholic curriculum for RE. IME, they normally have daily RE lessons of about half an hour long. Sacraments will also be prepared for in school (Confession, Communion and Confirmation).

letsghostdance Fri 19-Jun-15 18:08:28

Currently work for East Dunbartonshire education. Can confirm we have no bilingual French/English primary schools! Also the French provision is very varied depending on what school you're in.

ladygaga1980 Sat 20-Jun-15 12:23:07

Gaelic school in in west end of Glasgow. But lots of people travel to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now