St Catherine's twickenham. -- any opinions on it?

(11 Posts)
smilesandsun Tue 02-Jun-15 10:10:01

Hi,

I don't know much about the school. But am looking for schools for my daughter. The school sounds great from the prospectus,

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of it?

Thx

Blinkinwinkin Tue 02-Jun-15 13:06:24

I live locally and know a number of parents who are really happy there. It's understood to be a nurturing and more gently-paced school than other, more selective schools in the area.

It is Catholic, they do take non-Catholics, but there is a omni-present strong Catholic ethos, which you need to be aware of. I did not visit it myself as following discussions with current parents, that was a factor I was not prepared to consider.

smilesandsun Tue 02-Jun-15 13:15:51

Thank you that's really helpful.

basildonbond Tue 02-Jun-15 13:58:44

A friend's dd left at the end of Y9 - they were rather underwhelmed tbh and during a rather difficult personal time the school's pastoral care left quite a bit lacking.

My friend's dd is now at a bigger, faster-paced school and is much happier although had to work extremely hard to catch up as the teaching at St C had left her far behind in maths

smilesandsun Tue 02-Jun-15 20:00:21

Very interesting.

Hebe2 Wed 03-Jun-15 18:52:35

I have heard very positive remarks from parents at the school both on the academic and pastoral care. The head is meant to be excellent. I know some of the teachers at the super selectives nearby send their children there. My friend (who was a teacher in the area) used to say that the schools with the best 'value added' in the area were Ibstock, Kings College, Wimbledon and St Catherine's which is interesting. Really I would visit, that's the best way to gain an insight/ feel for a school IMO.

wheresthebeach Thu 04-Jun-15 15:58:20

A friend sent her daughter there and they were very happy. Daughter came out with 10 A* at gcse. Went elsewhere for A levels and are very much missing St Catherines. We loved the school and Do is going in September.

wheresthebeach Thu 04-Jun-15 15:58:57

Argh DD!

Icimoi Fri 05-Jun-15 12:51:10

DD went there. She's very shy and a good singer. They gave her the opportunity to sing in public where it would never have happened in a larger school, and the praise she got did wonders for her confidence. They also nurtured her talents in many other ways. She got excellent GCSE results in a year where a couple of larger schools which had turned her down didn't do so well - I was so tempted to contact them to suggest they clearly needed to look at their admissions processes!

Rostrevor Mon 15-Jun-15 07:44:26

I wondered if any one had any comments on Notre Dame school Cobham verses St Catherine's school in Twickenham for a secondary school?

wholemealchips Sat 23-Jul-16 23:07:00

Yes, have friends who worked at both. St Cat's probably has the edge and is very well located for transport. Probably slightly lower fees too. The Dt Cats girls are always well turned out and behave so well outside, at bus stops etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now