Talk

Advanced search

Trinity head leaving 2016

(37 Posts)
neanananaweek1972 Mon 01-Jun-15 16:37:08

Any thoughts from those on the inside what this means?

Thanks

LIZS Mon 01-Jun-15 16:41:01

Which Trinity, Croydon?

neanananaweek1972 Mon 01-Jun-15 17:58:30

Yes! Oops, assumed everyone would know which one!hmm

olguis Tue 02-Jun-15 00:38:32

That's interesting, because I remember last year he said he'd just signed another N years of contract and parents should be pleased to know there will be continuity. Indeed, what that might mean, would be good to have an insight into.

Seeline Tue 02-Jun-15 08:11:09

Indeed olgius - my Ds is just finishing 3 years at T and I remember Mr B stating (either at open morning or new boys/parents day) that he had just signed a new 10 year contract.
The letter sent from the Governors says 'Both Mark himself, and we as Governors, had hoped and expected that he would be at Trinity for a few more years.' It also says that they understand his decision to have a 'fundamental lifestyle change' which will allow him to spend more time with his family.
At least they have plenty of time to find a decent replacement.

LIZS Tue 02-Jun-15 08:20:01

Think there are some high profile headship changes in the offing for 2016(Eton being one) which would inevitably have a knock-on effect on others. If a sought after opportunity arose he'd have been foolish not to apply as they aren't that frequent. Is there still pressure for Trinity to go co-ed which I believe current head was very resistant to?

Asterisk Tue 02-Jun-15 10:35:38

Dismayed about this. The letter does say retiring rather than taking up a new position. And just as new GCSEs are being introduced. Can Mr McKie be persuaded to come back from China (liked him when he was deputising during Mr B's sabbatical)?

Seeline Tue 02-Jun-15 11:33:52

Asterisk I read it as retiring, but on re-reading it says retiring from the school which seems a strange way to put it.
I assume that spending more time with his family rules out many new jobs...
My Ds said 'come back Mr McKee'. He would have been great. As it is, the current Deputy only started at the beginning of the year...

Seeline Tue 02-Jun-15 11:38:56

Just seen on another thread here that Gavin Barwell has stepped down too! Apparently back in May, but I don't think the school have said anything?

neanananaweek1972 Tue 02-Jun-15 12:55:09

I would assume that there may be a lot if questions asked at the new boys meeting. I am sad as Mr Bishop was a big draw, the head of governors going and a new deputy head.... It all feels a bit worrying. The head master is not the school but he has been such a force, it is sad we will only have 1 year and all the uncertainties of a change in headship. Would it have swayed our decision? Possibly.....confused

Seeline Tue 02-Jun-15 12:59:29

I think the ethos of the school is integral to it though neana. My Dh went there 40 years ago and he says that aspect of it hasn't changed at all, although obviously the facilities and teaching styles etc have changed beyond all recognition!

Firefox1066 Fri 05-Jun-15 11:21:33

It is indeed very sad that Mr B is going. Moreover, with Dr B also retiring at W, there's a lot of hangs going on at the Whitgift Foundation schools!!

Lots of speculation as to why Mr B is stepping down, not least the ongoing rumour about Trinity going co-ed, with on its own or by merging it with Old Palace

SoupDragon Fri 05-Jun-15 11:26:57

Yes! Oops, assumed everyone would know which one! hmm

Why on earth would you assume that people would know given the vast majority of the site is outside of Croydon? confused

If Trinity is to go fully co-ed it needs to do it in the next year do that DD can go there! I'm not sure I can see it happening though and I doubt it would be the reason for MrB to retire early - I suspect, if that were a reason for him to leave, he would go to another position, not retire fully.

WalkingThePlank Sun 07-Jun-15 20:08:44

Interesting that there is the possibility that Trinity might go Co-ed although not impressed that it might involve a merger with Old Palace. Am confused as to why there has been so much movement within the Whitgift Foundation schools. Would be great to have some more insight.

Asterisk Tue 09-Jun-15 00:09:19

I have DCs at both Trinity and Old Palace and there are no rumours 'on the ground' as it were of any merger. It would be supremely impractical.

Firefox1066 Tue 09-Jun-15 11:20:16

Interesting that these rumours are not emanating from the schools themselves. I agree with Asterisk that a merger between the two would be very impractical. However, Mr B did tell me that it was his view that if T ever did go co-ed, "Old Palace would close within 3 years as demand would significantly fall".

Either way, interesting times ahead for the Foundation schools

neanananaweek1972 Sat 13-Jun-15 21:43:43

Sorry SoupDragon! Head in it's own bubble...

forago Sat 20-Jun-15 22:47:52

I think it's pretty clear he's not retiring from work per se, year out then highly paid educational consultancy I'd have thought. Lots of people round here (some of whom work for foundation) reckon the beginnings of the inevitable coed push forced his hand as he'd always been very vocally against (strange, I always thought, as I believe his dc are/were at coed Caterham). I did wonder if he could be going to Caterham as the outgoing head is leaving - I know that they've appointed a new head there (ex staff) but could that be an interim measure whilst lining MB up?

Personally I'm all for Trinity going coed so I hope that is the reason.

neanananaweek1972 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:37:36

I personally would be very unhappy if Trinity went co-ed as that was one of the main reasons for choosing it over co-ed options.

Just wondered where the push for co-ed might be coming from? Do the Whitgift Foundation want a boys school, a girls school and a co-ed school i.e. Trinity?

Ladymuck Tue 23-Jun-15 22:51:24

It's just rumour. People put 2 and 2 together and make 10. There is more than enough demand for boys schools in the area to fill Trinity and Whitgift with ease annually. The numbers applying for girls schools are far fewer despite (or possibly because of) the merger of Old Palace and Croham Hurst. There are many girls parents who would like the equivalent of a Girls Trinity school - in theory Croydon High should fill the gap but it has struggled with numbers.

No idea what Mr Bishop's plans are but he won't end up at Whitgift or Caterham. I suspect that like Eton's head he has been offered an overseas consultancy position that is just too tempting to turn down. But that is entirely speculation. I am surprised that he hasn't announced his plans. It isn't in line with his usual style imo, and I think that a lot of parents find that unsettling.

WalkingThePlank Thu 25-Jun-15 23:27:12

Ladymuck, if Old Palace is not so great and Croydon High struggles to fill its places which school do the Croydon-based sisters of Trinity boys attend?

Seeline Fri 26-Jun-15 08:17:28

In my DSs class, a lot of sisters do go to both Old Palace and Croydon High. I've seen a few girls in Royal Russell uniform wandering round as well. My DD is starting at CHS in September - they've got three forms starting then. I think the new Head has started to get things going.

Ladymuck Fri 26-Jun-15 16:25:25

Many boys travel up to an hour or more to come to Trinity or Whitgift, whereas OP and CHS are taking mainly local girls. It would be very unlikely for girls from Wimbledon, Clapham or Oxted say to travel to Croydon High, whereas plenty make the journey to the boys schools. OP isn't currently not seen as academic as it once was, though I assume that is mainly as a result of the Croham Hurst merger, and that impact will be diluted over the next few years (but highlights the risk of parents looking at league table information which is historic). Croydon High is one of a number of GDST schools in South London with a broadly similar ethos so not sure why you wouldn't go to the nearest? Whilst a coed T might attract girls from further afield, the risk to the foundation is that will also draw girls away from OP.

WalkingThePlank Fri 26-Jun-15 21:33:52

Thanks Ladymuck.

WalkingThePlank Fri 26-Jun-15 21:34:38

Thanks Seeline. Is the 3 form entry a new thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now