Talk

Advanced search

Independent schools -Twickenham,kingston or nearby

(24 Posts)
Jzee Tue 07-Nov-06 12:25:46

Can anyone suggest a good independent co -ed school near Twickneham, Teddington, Kingston,?

singersgirl Tue 07-Nov-06 12:29:24

Secondary or primary?

Secondaries include Kingston Grammar (in Kingston) and Ibstock Place (Roehampton, so a bit further afield). Latymer Upper in Hammersmith is also co-ed but that is a bit far.
Don't know any other mixed schools in Twickenham, but there may be some.

Someone useful will come along soon!

Jzee Tue 07-Nov-06 16:14:11

sorry primary. Does anyone know anything about Neland House school Twickenham

Jzee Tue 07-Nov-06 16:14:14

sorry primary. Does anyone know anything about Neland House school Twickenham

Jzee Tue 07-Nov-06 16:14:52

I meant Newland House school. ( computer playing up)

londongirl1 Tue 07-Nov-06 19:08:28

Twickenham Prep is friendly, v good co-ed school (in Hampton), which has a v inclusive policy - everyone takes part in the school plays, for example. It also doesn't 'cherry pick' the brightest pupils which is refreshing ...

maryhada Wed 08-Nov-06 18:37:18

I know someone whose children go to Newland House and she's very happy with it, feels it has brought out the best in her children.

wombat1 Wed 08-Nov-06 19:40:08

Newland House is a good co-ed school but you should be aware that the girls leave at 11 unless they are going to do Common Entrance at 13 - chiefly for boarding schools. So the last two years are mainly just boys.

There are many more options in the area if you will consider single-sex.

londongirl1 Fri 10-Nov-06 21:01:22

I heard that Newland house school was more geared to boys than girls

Jzee Sat 11-Nov-06 21:49:14

How do I find out the grades for Newland House school or other independent schools? Are the children tested the same as in the state system? This is all new to me so I hope this isn't too much of a stupid question!

hatwoman Sat 11-Nov-06 21:52:06

state primaries in that area are very good you know!

Jzee Sat 11-Nov-06 21:56:21

I was aiming for the state schools, but our house purchase fell through and the school application deadline is 11th Dec which is why we are now reluctantly looking at private.

hatwoman Sat 11-Nov-06 22:30:04

are you moving into the area from elsewhere? nightmare about the house falling through. FWIW although there's quite a scramble for the state schools in Septemer I don;t know anyone in Kingston who's unhappy where they've ended up (ie I don;t know anyone who's ended up at the 2 you need to avoid!) and also - spaces do come up - the population is quite transcient and spaces come up mid-year - one of dds friends moved into the area in spring and got a place at dds school no problem - whereas the september before there was a waiting list.

Jzee Sat 11-Nov-06 22:49:55

Yes, we are moving from central London where our closest schools are really bad. Ideally, we wanted to go to a state school, but are unable to meet the application deadlines so we are now looking at private. Which two schools would you avoid?

hatwoman Sat 11-Nov-06 22:58:47

the only state schools in Kingston that have poor reputations are King Athelstans and the Mount. Having said that I really don;t know much about them and don't want to bad mouth them! I did go and visit Athelstans 3 years ago and was very impressed with their new head - but they have a difficult intake. Other than that everyone I know is very happy. I've also found the people in the council v helpful - if you phoned them up they might be able to provide you info on the chances of available places if you move into the borough mid-year. don't envy you trying to move and start school at the same time.

Stressmum Sun 12-Nov-06 09:44:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hatwoman Sun 12-Nov-06 11:21:47

stressmum - I do agree - that's why I was a bit hesitant - and why I mentioned the difficult intake - even so I was very nearly persuaded by Athelstan's head who was lovely and impressive and spent a huge amount of time with me when I looked round (I think I was about the only person who'd actually asked to look round the school!). Are you local?

Stressmum Sun 12-Nov-06 21:16:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

arfishymeau Mon 13-Nov-06 03:24:38

Hello. I went to Newland House School and Kingston Grammar.

Newland House school is excellent. If I'd stayed in the UK I would have sent my daughter there.

The Tiffin schools are non fee paying grammar schools and regularly top the league tables, usually beating KGS.

KGS is also a good school, quite big, excellent facilities, still quite traditional.

If I'd stayed in the UK I probably wouldn't have sent DD there, more likely to have gone for Surbiton High or Lady Eleanor Holles.

jemima1 Fri 16-Oct-09 14:55:01

HI

We are considering sending our 2 daughters to Twickenham Prep. It'd be really useful if anyone could give us some feedback on the school. Certainly on our visit the staff and pupils were extremely helpful and happy and the school environment was great.

Thanks!

Jemima

deaddei Fri 16-Oct-09 18:05:54

I agree with the others- head of Athelston is excellent, and a new head going in the Mount after Xmas is from Tolworth Juniors- fab school.
Newland House is lovely- head retiring this summer.

iwantitnow Fri 16-Oct-09 19:39:40

Check the waiting lists for Newland - I signed DD up when she was 6 months old and she is on the waiting list, although now at the top due to putting her brothers name down at birth! Also have places at Twickenham Prep but yet to look round waiting until we have to make a decision as heads may change Anybody been appointed yet to replace the head at Newland?

hahaimawitch Fri 16-Oct-09 19:44:00

No replacement yet at Newland but they have a very strong team under the head. Places available at 7+. Very happy school, very caring and great atmosphere.

lupo Thu 22-Oct-09 17:39:03

staines prep is lovely, ds jyst started there and had learnt so much already and seems very happy there..may be a bit too far out for you location wise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now