Advanced search

To move for sixthform or stay where she is?

(41 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 11:52:57

I'm new to mumsnet. But I'm looking for advice for my dd.

Basically my dd 16 goes to a boarding school however she was put back a year due to issues at previous schools. But her school have started preparing them for making choices now.
She is bright and is predicted all A*'s her school is a good school however some departments have poor quality teaching. She would like to stay as she has her friends and it has excellent pastoral care however she would like to go to an American university or a Russell group university. Career wise she was would like to do law then politics.
She is unsure about doing the IB or doing alevels. But my question is how do you decide if to stay or move?

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 13:27:10

titchy Wed 18-Feb-15 14:21:24

You are sooo not a new poster - you were banned a year or so ago if I recall.

MaudeLebowski Wed 18-Feb-15 14:37:35

But my question is how do you decide if to stay or move?

You let your 16 year old daughter make the choice herself.

If that choice is viable with your finances and geography (and any other concerns) you support that choice.

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 14:39:40

I am so a new poster I'm new to this website so im sorry if you've confused me with someone else but I only simply come here for advice. My dd only started Queen Ethelburgas a few months ago and she really dislikes part of the school but it's the fact that they do the IB that's making her want to stay

catslife Wed 18-Feb-15 14:59:34

It isn't usually a good idea to name your child's school OP, but as a new poster you may not be aware of that.
My child may move at sixth form, but that is because her current school doesn't offer her favourite / best subject at A level whereas another sixth form does....
At A level, students do best if they have chosen the subjects and are happy where they are so unless you can't afford it, I would let her stay where she is.

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 15:01:27

I would like her to stay where she is but she would prefer to move as she dislikes part of the school and would feel she would flourish better elsewhere

Ladymuck Wed 18-Feb-15 15:05:17

So she's had issues at previous schools and has been at this one a short while, but looks as if she will do well. Is she in year 10 or 11?

If she has only been there since the start of this academic year then it would be odd to move again, unless there was something specific that would draw her to another school.

Had she been at the school for years, then it would be an idea t have a look around at the alternatives. But if she only started in September then you've had a look at the alternatives recently and viewed this to be the best. What's changed?

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 15:09:06

She started in September has her friends and loves school. She's in year10 but would prefer to move for sixth form because she wants to move where the teaching is better quality

Ladymuck Wed 18-Feb-15 15:12:37

For which subjects? On what basis is she assessing the quality of the teaching? And are you sure that she would have the same people teaching at sixth form?

In some respects it is very hard for poor teaching to be hidden at boarding school, as there is usually nowhere to hide? Poor teaching will result in poor results.

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 15:13:49

Science subjects and English.

Ladymuck Wed 18-Feb-15 15:18:22

Is she likely to do sciences for A level? If she is heading towards law and politics? And the English department is a large one - so again, how is she assessing that all teaching is poor? Is it just a personality clash with her teacher or is she really making little progress in English?

LIZS Wed 18-Feb-15 15:20:25

Will she get good enough grades to move at 6th form . 6a*/a at gcse is not unusual. I believe QE is a slightly controversial topic on MN. Personally I wouldn't have moved her at yr 10 only to move again 2 years later,especially given she is back a year.

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 15:20:54

She is making progress but she isn't challenged and stretched and she needs to be. She is looking at taking French,history,English lit,chemistry

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 15:22:03

She's predicted 12 A*s

Ladymuck Wed 18-Feb-15 15:25:57

And are you concerned that she won't get those? In English and Science?
If she is in year 10, you still have some time.

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 15:27:38

I'm concerned she won't achieve her full potetional at alevel but I would like her to stay there as she has friends and at least if she stays she has her friends she won't have to struggle to fit in at a new school

LIZS Wed 18-Feb-15 15:28:18

On basis of 1 1/2 terms ? Many schools don't bother with more than 10 anyway. If she is and remains happy where she is , leave her there.

Ladymuck Wed 18-Feb-15 15:31:51

I'm going to guess that she has only had one teacher for English so far? Very low probability that they will also be taking her for A level? But have a chat to the school if you're concerned. They sell themselves on their results, and for boarders in particular it is very hard to hide poor teaching as it shows up in the results given boarders are less likely to have access to other tuition.

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 15:32:53

She's happy where She is socially but not educational wise she wants more from the school but I'd rather she stay there. But it is her choice

Coconutty Wed 18-Feb-15 15:35:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ladymuck Wed 18-Feb-15 15:36:16

I'm not convinced that a 16 year old would be able to assess the work of an entire department, though obviously they will know their own class teacher. If she wants to stay and is happy and stays on track to get A*s, then it makes sense to stick where you are. If she starts to fall in sciences and English (so 5 GCSEs), then you get to see how the school responds.

LIZS Wed 18-Feb-15 15:36:53

It isn't really her choice though, presumably you pay the fees. Did you visit others before she went there, where else has she in mind ? I think it is odd that she is thinking about this having only just settled. Would she really feel any more satisfied elsewhere or would she just become similarly disillusioned.

YorkshireDayDreamer Wed 18-Feb-15 15:38:05

️Thank you lady I'm sure she will stay but I will support her in choosing other alevel options if her science and English decline

Ladymuck Wed 18-Feb-15 15:44:14

Again, I think that you are missing my point: your dd's experience of one teacher in a subject should not be used to write off the entirety of the department.

If I understand the QE awards structure correctly if your dd achieves her predicted grades then her fees could be free at 6th form. That must provide some incentive to stay?

This thread is not accepting new messages.