Talk

Advanced search

Maths setting

(13 Posts)
clairecandy Mon 09-Feb-15 20:02:30

My dd has been telling me about the predicament her friend is in. The girls parents want her to be in the top set, she is not comfortable telling them that she is happy where she is, they will not listen. They are so convinced that they want her to move up sets that they are fighting the school on this. She believes her parents will get what they want even if it means going to court.
My concern is that if the school gives in to their demand then what about my dc. Is this what happens, parents go into school shouting/screaming and the staff there give them what they want?
I hope they don't. My dd says her friend has been stressing about it, it's all they talk about at home. Poor girl, poor idiot parents, she's going to be hiding things or lying to them as she gets older.
If the school caves, should I write to them?

pinklink Mon 09-Feb-15 20:40:10

I wish parents would just let schools get on with their jobs. They are not going to choose children in a random way and put them in sets.
The girls parents sound mad. They probably have convinced themselves that they are doing the right thing.
I know that schools sometimes find it difficult to deal with such pressure but a good school would do what they think is right, not what the parents think is right. If this girl suddenly moves sets then alarm bells should go off. There is something fundamentally wrong with the school and this kind of thing would of almost definetly happened before. Get your dc's out.
If they don't do what the parents want then you can sit back safe and secure in the knowledge that you can trust the schools decisions.

Wait and see is what I say. smile

pinklink Mon 09-Feb-15 20:41:26

I would love to test a school like this!
Keep me posted on the outcome.

inthename Mon 09-Feb-15 20:58:54

really depends why they feel shes in the wrong set. For example, due to timetabling two subjects together suddenly, ds ended up in the wrong set for one of the subjects. But, his school didn't move him because I said so! Never heard of parents takong a school to court either. I'd stay out of it

ToffeeCaramel Mon 09-Feb-15 21:20:02

Going to court to get a child moved up a maths set! shock I've heard it all now.

pinklink Mon 09-Feb-15 21:21:47

Ha ha. Querying a maths set is normal but going into the school and making a fuss....ha ha yeh and court, wackos

smellylittleorange Mon 09-Feb-15 21:28:13

What age group? I can't see it would matter except perhaps it was inhibiting entering a certain level examination at GCSe ? It used to be certain maths groups were entered for an examination where you got a max grade C but I am not even sure this still goes on ? If anyone knows please enlighten me ? But yes OP it sounds bonkers they are considering court action ?

clairecandy Mon 09-Feb-15 21:39:24

13-14 year olds. You are right, they are all doing the same exams.
I my dc would be highly embarrassed of me if I did what those parents are doing.

TalkinPeace Mon 09-Feb-15 21:52:33

The child moves into the top set if they are one of the 30 highest achievers.
ONLY if one has the data on every child can one make that judgement call.

If the parents have the information, there has been a major data breach

If they do not then they have no reason to believe that their child is number 29 rather than number 31

pinklink Mon 09-Feb-15 22:10:46

Talkin peace, I completely agree.

Some parents are precious.

lljkk Mon 09-Feb-15 22:21:45

go to court? How would that work? what law has been violated? (confused)

ReallyTired Mon 09-Feb-15 23:17:30

Top sets are often more than 30. In my son's school the second maths set are put in for exactly the same exams as the top set. There is no great advantage being in the top set over the second set. (There are eight sets in total)

Provide the student gets the same opportunities then her parents have no grounds to complain.

starfish4 Tue 10-Feb-15 11:30:32

My DD's school only move them up or down if they are clearly in the wrong set, if it's borderline they leave them where they are. Unless she clearly deserves her place in the top set, I wouldn't expect the school to agree to it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: