Advanced search

If you are doing a Masters degree, what sort of marks are you getting?

(25 Posts)
TongueBiter Thu 05-Feb-15 07:55:12

I'm in my second year; got 54 and 61 last year, and 60 for my most recent assignment.

All Most of my cohort seem to be happy with getting over 50% (we are all in employment) but I was wondering what the average is at this level.

barrackobana Thu 05-Feb-15 09:04:14

Same as you. Second yr masters, last yr got between 67-70 in most assignments, lowest was 60% devastated. a number of people getting in the 70s and a friend of my seems to constantly get between 70-80%, she on track for a distinction and I'm seriously trying to catch up with her this yr

Whats the mark quota for a distinction at your university?

TongueBiter Thu 05-Feb-15 09:22:20

50-59 is a pass, 60-69 merit (I think!) and 70+ distinction.

I have never been so pleased to get a 61 though (but at the same time mortified at anything under 80%).

I don't think anyone on my course has got above 65% yet!

LadyofDunedin Thu 05-Feb-15 09:25:07

All these marks sound good to me! I also work F/T and doing masters and so far have got 60 (1st assignment), 65 (was really pleased with the improvement - hope I can get 70 next time!) .. Then I got a 55.. But everyone seemed to struggle / get marked considerably lower in this module!
Well done all grin

veiledsentiments Thu 05-Feb-15 09:26:09

I am second year. Had mid to high 60s in my assignments. Going all out for high 70s to hope to drag it up to a distinction. Am FT employed too.

TongueBiter Thu 05-Feb-15 09:32:31

Just found out a couple of people got 70 and low seventies on the latest assignment. I need to up my game ...

Off to read my feedback (does anyone else just look at the mark?!)

MrsCosmopilite Thu 05-Feb-15 09:36:38

I'm doing mine p/t and have been juggling 'hands off' care for elderly relatives throughout, so not able to give it my full focus. My dissertation proposal scored 57%, but all other assignments have been 70-78%. The way things stand now I'm needing extra time (currently trying to arrange a funeral) to get things done. Everyone else on my course seems to have dropped out/given up, so there is an element of pressure to perform well now and attain the same mark for my thesis/dissertation as I've somehow achieved for assignments.

namechange99999 Thu 05-Feb-15 09:41:26

So far I have 50, 58 and 68. I have a baby who is a couple of months old, and it is a little annoying as I know I am capable of obtaining higher marks.

I am currently about to start writing a 3000 word essay, whilst rocking the baby with my foot!

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 05-Feb-15 09:43:41

I finished mine last year and got a distinction. Grades were: 58%, 57%, 60%, 90%, 65%, 75%, 70%, 70%, 70%

Your dissertation is by far the most important one. That is what really decides your grade.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 05-Feb-15 09:44:52

The 65 may have been a 75, i can't quite remember confused

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 05-Feb-15 09:45:45

Oh and really read the feedback, it is very important. What are you studying?

TongueBiter Thu 05-Feb-15 09:46:00

NameChange - I feel the same way. that I am capable of more. But on the other hand, so long as I pass, I'm happy!

namechange99999 Thu 05-Feb-15 09:47:09

That is what I am hoping. I received the 58 on my first piece, which I started writing 4 days after birth. It was pretty annoying that it was so close to 60. I am hoping now I can pull it back and starting obtaining higher grades.

TongueBiter Thu 05-Feb-15 09:48:34

Yes, some of the feedback is confusing, but mostly constructive. I need to take my analysis a step further, more grey lit etc.

namechange99999 Thu 05-Feb-15 09:51:10

Yeah I will be happy to pass as well tongue. It is very difficult on mine as I also have full time 40 hour placement, so with the baby who is under 4 months, our other children, and writing all the essays it is definitely time that I need more of!

Dh and I are also working opposite shifts so I walk in and he leaves, and the baby doesn't sleep until about 11. This means I have to do both at the same time, which is half the problem. Argh really need to get on with it right now. Back to work!

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 05-Feb-15 09:53:01

What are you studying name?

For higher grades you need to be doing extended reading, i.e.. things not covered in class, and relating it to the subject. Also work on your critical writing style and make sure you are referencing well.

I don't know if its the same for you, but in academic writing you shouldn't refer to yourself in the first person, everything should be objective. Eg.

'I believe that the price of fuel is on the increase' should be written more like 'Current research suggests that fuel prices are increasing'

Does that make sense?

namechange99999 Thu 05-Feb-15 09:57:34

You do have to in my degree puds as it is social work. It is strange writing in the first person, but that is due to reflecting on yourself as a practitioner.

I do try and read as much as I can. A typical day such as yesterday is leave at 7am return at 5. Dh leaves 5.30. I then do all the bedtimes. Then I feed the baby, and start writing. Dh returns about 11pm. Then there is the nightfeeds for baby, and sometimes dc2 wakes up night for the toilet. If I can't sleep in night after night feeds then I start looking for journals and books on computer to fit in extra reading.

That actually is wearing me out reading it. ROLL ON SUMMER grin

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 05-Feb-15 10:00:23

With some journals, there is an option for them to be read aloud to you. I don't know if that would help?

namechange99999 Thu 05-Feb-15 10:08:45

I think it is too difficult to take it in through audio as I am working with such little sleep due to the opposite shift thing. I think what would help would be an earlier bedtime for the baby but I haven't cracked it yet. I have 7 weeks until I have 3000, 2000, 3500 word essays to be in, and a 3 hour law exam. Dh is also away at other end of country for some of that time, so I will have to write them with all 3 children in the room. It is harder as assignments are speeding up. I know I will pass, but would prefer 60+ final grade.

TongueBiter Thu 05-Feb-15 10:09:25

That sounds bloody exhausting, Name! Could you defer for a semester? Extension?

I'm going back to PEEL - Point, Evidence, Explain, Link. It seems to have worked for a colleague who got 73%!

Research Methods next. Boooooring!
We are given very little instruction on writing style tbh. I have the language, but need improvement on layout and structure. I promise things in my intro that don't happen, lol.

Name - I had a useful critical analysis document sent to me by another poster on a similar thread - if you pm me your email address I'll send it to you later if you want. Also, the academic phrasebank on the Manchester uni website is a godsend.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 05-Feb-15 10:14:34

Gosh name you must be able to get some help with your work load? Do you have a support plan?

namechange99999 Thu 05-Feb-15 10:50:38

Only support there is would be extenuating, however that eats in to the summer. I do have mild hyperventilating stress outs from time to time to dh, who probably thinks I have lost the plot. End of term is end of July so if I can make it until then will be ok. Good luck everyone!

MrsCosmopilite Thu 05-Feb-15 13:05:39

Just had a look at that academic phrasebook, it looks very helpful!

Name - I think you should ask about an extension, but be prepared to not get one, IYSWIM.

I'm currently working to the revised dates of my permissable extension but may need to push for extenuating circumstances. However, I may not get them, so the plan is to aim for the revised submission date.

I don't have a set style but I do tend to do a lot of cutting a pasting from journals, and then collate all the similar ideas. I also do my best to ensure I find very current articles. If this can be peppered by some 'old school' thinking which it either supports or refutes entirely, even better.

I also keep a 'deleted items' folder in parallel to whatever I'm writing. So if something is struck out, it is moved there, just in case I want to reinstate it for some reason.

And reference as you go along!

Snapespotions Fri 06-Feb-15 19:48:27

I also work FT and did an awful lot of modules last year!! Have mostly been getting high seventies with a few eighties and two in the sixties. Lowest mark so far was 63 (for an assignment - oddly, I thought it was one of my best!) highest was 87 (for an exam). However, academic work has always come relatively easily to me, so I don't think I'm typical.

It's very hard to combine FT work and study, it takes real perseverance and self discipline. For me, I think the higher marks are partly related to the fact that I have a good writing style (so I'm told) and I can structure my work in a logical way. I definitely don't have much time to do background reading and I feel that I've only gained a fairly superficial grasp of some subjects, so I think it is the generic academic skills that help to boost my marks.

Goodwordguide Fri 06-Feb-15 20:04:34

Ah, sitting here tonight trying (and failing) to work on my dissertation. In my third year doing it distance, part-time. Averaging a 74, with marks ranging from 64-80 (only one 80! Most around the 68-70 mark). I do work in a fairly literary environment though so writing/structuring ideas etc all quite usual for me. I agree with PP about having generic academic skills, I think it really helps with writing up (though I struggle with the data analysis bit lots).

Am now working 4 days a week plus have 3 DCs so really struggling with getting the dissertation going. For me, it's finding the time to get any real thinking/analysis going - I can grab a quick hour here and there but I barely open my file before I'm interrupted or have to go somewhere/feed someone etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now