Talk

Advanced search

Latymer Upper interviews

(19 Posts)
Lynharvey Mon 26-Jan-15 10:39:30

I'm told we will hear tomorrow if DD will get an interview. Does anyone know what percentage of those interviewed are normally offered a place?

GJHmum1 Tue 27-Jan-15 21:22:31

Apparently 400 approx invited back. Would love to have any insight into how they interview if anyone has been through it.

Lynharvey Tue 27-Jan-15 22:07:01

Thanks GJHmum1. DD has also been offered an interview so if anyone has any information on the interview format/questions likely to be asked that would be really helpful.

choselatymer Fri 30-Jan-15 12:57:12

Hi, things may be different this year, but DS had his interview at LU a couple of years ago. He was given a choice of subjects to choose two out of, and then he was asked questions about those subjects. One was very tricky and demanded lateral thinking. Another had to do with current affairs. So I think it's good for your child to be aware of what's going on in the world, broadly speaking. LU is interested in very individual kids, opinionated, who speak their mind.
Good luck everyone.

Lynharvey Sat 31-Jan-15 08:33:15

Thanks choselatymer I'll try to give DD a quick news summary before today's interview! BTW are you glad you chose Latymer? Some parents seem to rave about the school and I haven't heard many negative things other than the odd minor gripe about pastoral care etc.

choselatymer Sat 31-Jan-15 16:33:12

Hi yes we are very very happy with our choice. DS felt at home from day 1, he has great friends and finds it interesting academically. It's a friendly school, very lively and also grounded. The opportunities outside the classroom are staggering. As the mum of a fairly confident well adapted student I cannot address your concern re pastoral care. But the one small incident we once had was resolved immediately and we were informed the same day. I was very impressed. The new head is a real asset, very approachable and with the right values imo. Fire if you have any other questions!
Hope your DD enjoyed today

Lynharvey Sun 01-Feb-15 10:31:34

Thanks again choselatymer. We have certainly found all the staff at LU friendly as you say and were also impressed by the new Head. DD enjoyed her interview yesterday and now we are keeping our fingers crossed for 12 Feb!

minoula Tue 03-Feb-15 10:16:06

Good luck LynHarvey and GJH. Have a DC in current Yr 7, so happy to help with any info for what its worth!

Lynharvey Wed 04-Feb-15 11:53:40

Thanks minoula. I'm sure we will have more questions if next week brings a good result!

Twinprimes Thu 05-Feb-15 11:50:12

Latymer was a brilliant choice for my very confident firstborn . Not appropriate for the sensitive second born (much more quiet and creative although passed for 5 academic schools) made a wise choice of Nhehs for second and academic results have been similarly great .

Lynharvey Mon 09-Feb-15 16:00:49

Thanks Twinprimes although all the positive feedback re LU is making me more nervous in case DD doesn't get an offer! Does anyone know how many offers are actually made at LU?

choselatymer Mon 09-Feb-15 17:05:00

120 places I think? I don't know how many offers they actually send out.

Lynharvey Sat 14-Feb-15 01:03:45

Happy to report that DD has got an offer from LU.She is really pleased but has also got an offer from G & L and is now confused as to to which she prefers!

choselatymer Sat 14-Feb-15 11:08:03

She's done well! Does she prefer coed or single sex? That's really the key to decide, isn't it.

Lynharvey Sat 14-Feb-15 15:44:12

Thanks choselatymer. You're right re coed or single sex.DD is currently at a coed school and has always got on well with boys .I suppose my one and only concern re LU (which is our preferred choice) is that we have friends at coed schools whose DCs have got girlfriends/boyfriends at their school at a fairly early age (13 etc) and whose studies have gone downhill as a result. In your experience is this a common problem at LU?!

choselatymer Sat 14-Feb-15 17:15:32

Thankfully for us DS and most of his friends are not interested in dating girls yet. I do know with other boys and girls there has been some "going to the movies" kind of thing but judging by the level of academic achivement in the year i doubt it has had any negative effect. Obviously things get more serious as they grow but for what I hear kids from single sex schools party with other schools too. For example I knew a latymer girl with a boyfriend from st Paul's and ucs boys with south hampstead girlgriends. I sympathise with your concern but I also appreciate DS doing a science experiment with a girl and it being a normal thing for him which he doesn't even think twice about iykwim... They do a fair amount of work in groups for example two boys and two girls. They email each other about the work and the planning and it always amazes me how serious they are about the work and how little silliness and flirting there is in their exchanges. Obviously they are all very driven children.

Lynharvey Sat 14-Feb-15 17:28:51

Thanks choselatymer that's reassuring! I think it's LU for DD in September as long as we can find the fees..

GJHmum1 Sat 14-Feb-15 19:19:14

Latymer offer for us too - overjoyed and was ready to accept immediately but DS unexpectantly received the offer of Art & Sport scholarships at KGS so am totally torn between the two. The scholarship has really stirred things up for us. Any advice anyone - lovely problem to have I know but we're in turmoil and the thought of declining either is just too awful!!

choselatymer Sat 14-Feb-15 21:27:07

Tough lovely problem GJH!
Which has the better commute?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: