Talk

Advanced search

How do you teach timestables?

(6 Posts)
ItsAKindOfRabbit Mon 19-Jan-15 21:18:33

We got a note in the school diary before christmas asking us to start practising timestables with our DC (yr 2).

We've done a bit with DD (who will be 7 in August) but she hates it and refuses to sit and learn it by rote so it's a real struggle (I've mixed it up with learning games/apps/interactive powerpoints - she still hates it).

All of the other parents I've spoken to seem to think it's no problem at all and their DC have just - I don't know, sat down and stared at the answers - and now know them.

Then last week they started testing them 20 questions at a time. DD got 5/20 last week and 4/20 this week wink

Any tips?

ItsAKindOfRabbit Mon 19-Jan-15 21:19:14

Sorry, I meant hmm not wink

Awakeagain Mon 19-Jan-15 21:38:00

What about a cd with songs on
That's how we do them (along other things)
Does she understand what the times tables mean?

eatyourveg Tue 20-Jan-15 07:49:34

I was going to say songs too

ladybyron Tue 20-Jan-15 09:07:24

As a former maths teacher at key stage 2, I would suggest that you also go over the number patterns e.g, 5, 10, 15, 20......3, 6, 9, 12 etc... do this forwards and backwards. Also, discuss patterns you can see, X 2, x 4 are all even numbers. It does take time, but with lots of encouragement and praise, you will see an improvement.

fleurdelacourt Tue 20-Jan-15 11:02:49

There are lots of Apps for phones and ipads and games on the internet. Just google and have a look through and find one that suits?

Mine are hooked and have their own records for each times table that they try to beat!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: