Talk

Advanced search

New style GCSE options (those sitting first batch of exams in 2017) query.

(10 Posts)
ryansbeat Sun 18-Jan-15 14:06:13

How important is it to have a MFL under the new style GCSE options which will come into force in 2017? My DS is currently in Year 9 and is choosing his GCSE options (due in tomorrow). They have to do Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Maths, Triple Science and then they can choose 4 others (of which a MFL is not a requirement). He is thinking of History, RS, Latin but needs to choose between Spanish and Geography. He enjoys them both although I think he is probably slightly better at Geography than Spanish. I'm aware that the only university requiring a MFL is UCL so is dropping Spanish going to hinder him in the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we need to try and finalise this tonight! Thank you in advance.

ryansbeat Sun 18-Jan-15 14:07:41

Sorry, maybe I should've posted this in Secondary Education?

Essexmum69 Sun 18-Jan-15 14:19:42

Obviously no one can comment on the new gcses yet, but for the current ones I would say Latin is difficult, Spanish generally easier if he is not a natural linguist. His selection looks a bit humanities heavy but if that is where his future lies then fine. But if you are trying to keep options open then Spanish or an art subject would give a better spread.
It also depends on sixth form options, if any offering the IB are possibilities then I would also suggest continuing with Spanish (you can in theory do spanish ab initio but not all schools offer it), but if only considering A levels then it would not matter.

Azure Sun 18-Jan-15 14:27:32

Hi. Went to a GCSE options talk last week for my Y9 son and were told most unis require a MFL, even for apparently non-related courses, and so it's compulsory for him. Don't know whether unis accept Latin instead of a MFL.

cece Sun 18-Jan-15 14:57:17

Our DD's school are 'strongly' encouraging pupil's who would like to go to Uni to take a humanities and a MFL as two of their options.

titchy Sun 18-Jan-15 15:06:04

Azure that is categorically wrong - universities only require an MFL to do an MFL degree.

ihatethecold Sun 18-Jan-15 15:20:08

At my ds's school they have to take a mfl.
It's such a waste for him.
He hates languages and could have taken something else that he enjoys.
There is no compromise either.
It makes me cross to be dictated to like that.

Sorry op. I haven't helped you one bit!

SauvignonBlanche Sun 18-Jan-15 15:26:03

Azure, that is incorrect.
DS has just had 5 offers to do a humanities course and he didn't even sit an MFL.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 18-Jan-15 15:33:21

The school are having you on Azure. Probably to bump up their EBAC numbers, or justify why they have made it compulsory. Only UCL require it and even they will admit without, providing you complete a certificate alongside your degree or choose a language module as part of it.

Those options look fine to me. I would pick whichever he prefers and thinks he will get a higher grade in. Unless he wants to do an art based subject later, there's no point picking one just to make his choices more balanced. If he's likely to get a lower grade in it that will probably disadvantage him.

Azure Sun 18-Jan-15 17:50:34

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info re necessity of MFL.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: