Talk

Advanced search

Waiting to see if offered a place at yr9 The Perse

(29 Posts)
HereIAm20 Fri 16-Jan-15 13:48:23

My son was the only applicant from his school for at The Perse Upper, Cambridge. Thus I have no other parents from his existing school to mull it over with. He seemed fairly laid back about it all but I am getting myself into a right frenzy waiting for a letter (either way). Anyone else feel the same? Also does anyone know if they are prompt with the letters which we were told to anticipate by the end of Jan/ first week of Feb (which to me are 2 different weeks!)

xWurlyCurlyx Mon 19-Jan-15 18:36:13

Hello,

We are waiting too - slightly different as we have a DD so are waiting for Perse Upper and Stephen Perse........ We were given the impression it was 2 weeks-ish wait for the upper so I have started checking the post hopefully today. Ok that's a lie I started obsessing on Friday!!

Draylon Mon 19-Jan-15 21:50:06

Your DC will both get in provided they are behaviourally and educationally in the 'normal' spectrum; have no 'unfortunate' HT remarks from their pasts; have no evident learning difficulties. The Perse still sells itself as acutely academic, but it can't afford to do so in reality any more. Why do you think it started admitting girls? Not the sign of a confident boys' school. It's still a good school, but it still trades on a rigorous academic reputation it sold out on about 5 years ago; when it stopped testing its Prep school boys (admitted aged 4...), giving them automatic admission to the Upper. Ability to pay the ever-increasing fees is the bench mark!

I hope you're successful, because as I say, it's still a good, disciplined, attention-to-detail school, with lots to offer, but don't get distraught about its 'exclusive, academic' tag. It sold that a while back...

xWurlyCurlyx Mon 19-Jan-15 21:58:18

Interesting - I heard there was going to be a big change in results due to automatic entry of prep school children but haven't seen any evidence of that ( and should have done by now?). Do you have children at the school?

Draylon Mon 19-Jan-15 22:30:54

Prefer not to say! To be a Pelican/Prep entry DC you will have been carefully assessed regarding what I mentioned above.

As I've already stated, The Perse (or Purse as we call it do to its eye-watering fee increases!) is still a very good school; but is it quite fair to sell it on its 'rigorous, academic' performance bearing in mind some changes it has had to make.

In some ways, some previous parents (not only The P) may have been 'duped'. The reason why the vast majority if not all non-selective state schools can't compete in terms of academic results with the vast majority of private schools is that they cannot select either for ability; learning difficulty; socio-economic background; parental engagement; raw behaviour etc. Privates can. So if you're looking for a school that 'selects' via wealthy enough, therefore highly-likely-to-be-engaged parents, from a cohort who exhibit no learning or behavioural issues, you're already going to be 99% of the way towards success.

And merely doing IGCSEs will advantage those DC! If you get in (you will), relax. The immediate future is accounted for.

Sabrina41 Tue 20-Jan-15 22:46:54

Has anyone heard at all yet? I'm getting reports that the London schools results are filtering out. Does it really take until the end of Jan to get letters out or do the lucky ones get an offer letter earlier???

xWurlyCurlyx Wed 21-Jan-15 06:56:19

Nothing here yet......

HereIAm20 Wed 21-Jan-15 12:35:27

Nothing here yet either. Saw a thread about yr 7 entry and feel more relaxed!! Will post either way. Ps. If you think The Perse fees are high they are only 3/4 of what we currently pay so it would be like having a scholarship just by getting a place! Good luck to the other anxiously waiting parents out there.

Carmel206 Wed 21-Jan-15 23:08:04

Waiting and hoping for Y7 place here - it is all very quiet.

xWurlyCurlyx Mon 26-Jan-15 22:30:35

Still waiting here. Apparently Stephen Perse letters were posted today and their interview day was 4 days after Perse Upper, so hoping they get a move on!!

pokeytheorangepony Tue 27-Jan-15 18:28:13

Just got Stephen Perse letter (hurray) but no sign of Perse yet-- and exam was a week earlier!

xWurlyCurlyx Tue 27-Jan-15 20:34:59

Stephen Perse letter here too - that's her first choice so we're not so worried about the Upper now - still surprised we haven't heard yet though!

pokeytheorangepony Tue 27-Jan-15 20:57:42

congratulations to your daughter xWurlyCurlyx -exciting times!

xWurlyCurlyx Tue 27-Jan-15 22:01:42

Thank you - and yours! I take it you're hoping for the Upper though?

pokeytheorangepony Tue 27-Jan-15 22:05:17

no- we're delighted with SPF- so pressure is off. Still curious to get the results though

HereIAm20 Wed 28-Jan-15 15:28:41

Well done to the girls on achieving their Stephen Perse places - we're still waiting on the Upper as we have a boy!!

xWurlyCurlyx Wed 28-Jan-15 19:06:44

I can't believe there was nothing again today HereIAm20 - are they trying to torture you!?

pokeytheorangepony Wed 28-Jan-15 19:32:10

they did say by the end of the month didn't they?

Sabrina41 Thu 29-Jan-15 10:53:50

Yes - i thought Ed Elliott said we would hear by the end of January and then have the month of February to decide if we wanted to take the offer. We still haven't heard today. I am not sure if they let everyone know together or stagger the letters...

HereIAm20 Thu 29-Jan-15 10:56:48

My guess is they'll send Friday to be received Saturday! Just a guess mind you. Yes he said end of the month and then actually said early Feb! Maybe to stop a flurry of calls if people don't get the post on Saturday!

HereIAm20 Thu 29-Jan-15 12:39:04

Hooray - offer received. And relax! Good luck to anyone still waiting on he post.

pokeytheorangepony Thu 29-Jan-15 13:53:20

great news- congratulations

xWurlyCurlyx Thu 29-Jan-15 18:36:01

Oh goodness my dd has been offered Perse Upper and SPF. I thought I knew what we were going to do but suddenly it's not so easy........

HereIAm20 Thu 29-Jan-15 19:01:21

Congrats to your daughter XWurlyCurlyx . Let us know what you decide. Easier for us as really No alternate choice for boys!

HereIAm20 Thu 29-Jan-15 19:04:01

WurlyCurly - year 7 or year 9? Just interested. My son is yr 9 entry in September

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: