Talk

Advanced search

What could I do to support and protect ds's teachers?

(10 Posts)
meandjulio Sun 23-Nov-14 20:11:39

Feeling scared today that ds's teachers are so vulnerable to some random inspector turning up, perhaps when they are having a bad day, and potentially ruining their entire career. Feeling bad that teachers can't do their jobs for explaining how they are going to, are doing, and have been doing their jobs. I love ds's teacher passionately (in a completely platonic way) and want to put him in a safe bubble where he can just get on with being the fantastic teacher that he is. I also want to protect previous teachers who weren't the best ever but who were absolutely good enough and gave ds so much great support.

Imagining Ofparent turning up in my front room and observing my parenting, with disciplinary measures to follow. Bleurgh.

OddBoots Sun 23-Nov-14 20:14:04

I'm not sure I understand. Are your ds's teachers having to work outside conventional methods in order to best support your ds?

meandjulio Sun 23-Nov-14 20:15:19

No.

OK, realistically this is a TATT so I should probably calm down.

Lottiedoubtie Sun 23-Nov-14 20:16:48

Eh?

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Nov-14 20:17:42

If you want to protect your DC's teacher and think they are fab, then the best thing you can do is email the head, copying in the teacher, saying how fab they are and the stuff that they have done to help your DC which you appreciate.

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 23-Nov-14 20:18:10

hmm

Thatssofunny Sun 23-Nov-14 20:55:35

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd feel the need to "protect" your DS's teacher. Ofsted usually ring the day before an inspection...so the teacher would be aware that they are coming in. They don't just suddenly turn up in the classroom. For a teacher to "ruin his entire career" based on a single lesson observed by an inspector, major issues would be needed. Apart from observations by Ofsted inspectors, most teachers get regularly observed internally anyway (usually using the Ofsted criteria) to get evidence for their performance management. hmm It's not as if they only get observed every few years when the men and women in black turn up.

feelingunsupported Sun 23-Nov-14 21:01:12

I get you op, and I think that the sentiment behind what you are saying is lovely. We have a tough time sometimes in teaching and it's nice to know that some people worry about us.

I second what noble said and will add: speak up if you hear people slagging off teachers and encourage your dc to do the same. X

meandjulio Sun 23-Nov-14 21:21:51

Thanks noble and feeling, those are really good ideas. DS will be leaving primary this year, I might do an 'exit letter' going through all the things that I think the school have done so well.

AsBrightAsAJewel Sun 23-Nov-14 22:13:12

You could complete OFSTED's Parent View questionnaire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now