Talk

Advanced search

Sixth Form Interview tomorrow

(15 Posts)
doglover Fri 21-Nov-14 20:24:32

My Y11 dd has an interview tomorrow for a local sixth form college - she's quite nervous about it ....

We've gone through the whole "Why do you want to come here/what interests do you have/why have you chosen these subjects ? etc but just wondered if there is anything in particular she needs to think about?

TIA

mummytime Fri 21-Nov-14 20:38:49

How competitive is it? At my DDs last one they just wanted to check on which subjects she wanted to do and why.
It was pretty painless. Could be more tricky if any subjects are a "reach" or if she may need to do any resits of GCSEs.

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Fri 21-Nov-14 20:47:56

Dd has done 3 of these now. One was quite formal the other two not so much. All with only one person and she was made to feel v comfortable.

Just show lots of interest/enthusiasm for subjects chosen. Maybe have the reason the college appeals to mind.

One off the wall question was 'can you think of something you've done which you are esp proud of?' Dd was a little thrown because she wasn't expecting that one, but managed to remember something she'd done. (Then remembered something better afterwards! grin)

On the whole though nothing too awful or, terrifying or anything to worry about. Dd is not extrovert but still managed just fine and was offered places.

Just look interested and speak up and smile smile Good luck!

doglover Fri 21-Nov-14 20:50:48

Thanks ladies smile It's not overly competitive and she's a good all-rounder so hope she'll go in there and be herself ....... well, herself on a 'good' day!!

Grunty Fri 21-Nov-14 20:53:29

I am really surprised that a 6th form college is allowed to select on the basis of an interview as school 6th forms are not. Are you sure it is not just an informal chat to ensure she is realistic about her options?

doglover Fri 21-Nov-14 21:01:43

Well the letter says an interview .........

TeenAndTween Fri 21-Nov-14 21:14:35

The 6th form colleges round here (Hants) interview, but they are not meant to be academic selection. They are to ensure you have selected suitable subjects (ie that you understand what they include and bow they are taught) and that they are likely to be within your capability (ie No point putting maths if predicted a C if they require an A).

That's my understanding anyway. DD's applications went in this week so she's not had the interviews yet.

Grunty Fri 21-Nov-14 21:41:27

In London the school 6th forms that dd2 is applying to seem to emphasise it is an informal chat rather than an interview. Most seem to expect a personal statement on the application form as well - which should also be irrelevant. The latter really annoys me as they ask about contribution, achievements etc.

mummytime Fri 21-Nov-14 22:10:04

School sixth forms can discriminate (at least external candidates) on the ground of the interview. Sixth form entry is very different from Secondary school.
Personally I think the entry systems will have to change as there gets more pressure. My DD may well be holding three places at different Sixth forms until August.

Grunty Sat 22-Nov-14 09:39:10

Mummytime is that not contrary to the admissions code? I thought they couldn't take interview or personal statements into account?

I know they give preference to their own candidates but actively selecting externals on unknown grounds as they claim they don't do it is something else entirely.

mypoosmellsofroses Sat 22-Nov-14 09:48:45

DS had one last year, his school closed their 6th form, so he had a choice of local 6th form academy, college or 6th form at a school in next town.He did get into the 6th form that he wanted to(school in next town), it was quite informal and he really enjoyed it, they asked about subject choices and briefly chatted about extra curricular interests etc. It was good practice for him, and meant they had a bit more info about him prior to starting rather than just being a name on a form.
I was especially pleased as he now goes to my old school grin

doglover Sat 22-Nov-14 16:32:34

Dd had a really positive experience this morning at her interview smile She was offered - and accepted - a place so phew! She has 2 more looming but this great start has boosted her confidence.

Thanks for your comments.

bigTillyMint Sat 22-Nov-14 16:39:39

Glad I found this thread as DD is just applying now - round here the forms don't have to be in till before Christmas or in Jan, so no interviews yet.

TalkinPeace Sat 22-Nov-14 17:54:32

The Interview at the over subscribed college round here - the one that closes its admissions before Christmas - is about making sure the kids themselves are happy with their choices and options
parents are not allowed in

they look at predicted grades, options, interests like sport and music and travel (important when the catchment is 50 miles across for day kids and 8000 miles long for the boarders)

the other colleges like to meet the kids to again be sure that THEY are making the choice

admission is then finalised strictly on grades in August

mummytime Sat 22-Nov-14 18:32:24

As far as I can tell the admissions code does not apply. Students normally get places on the basis of: which school they attend at present, and the order they apply, with them getting the required grades to take the subjects they want the only other criteria (or maybe a basic level to do A'levels rather than a foundation year).
Other than private schools/maybe Grammars, the interviews are pretty low key - and often combined with careers advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now