Advanced search

School issues

(28 Posts)
Yummum42 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:43:49

Can anyone help with issues at school?

Finola1step Thu 20-Nov-14 13:44:55

What are the issues OP?

Yummum42 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:44:55

Can anyone help with advise about issues at school? Thank you.

Yummum42 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:47:20

Headmaster ill treatment of my child at school; picking on, continuous scrutiny

Lilka Thu 20-Nov-14 13:48:30

Tell us what's going on and we'll try our best to help smile

You can PM if you need to as well

Lilka Thu 20-Nov-14 13:51:12

Sorry, x-posted

Can you expand a bit more? What is the headteacher doing/saying? How are you bring scrutinised? And what are the people picking on your dc doing and what are the school doing/not doing?

I'm sorry you and dc are going through this

Yummum42 Thu 20-Nov-14 19:45:57

The headmaster and teachers report to me anything my son does; so I get several emails on a regular basis if he talks to another child. If he asks about unfairness,he is shouted at and threatened with a report card system. When he was struck by another boy, no action was taken . He is constantly pulled out of class and questioned about any incident even where he was not involved

Lilka Thu 20-Nov-14 21:41:57

I was wondering (since this is the adoption board) is your son adopted? If not, or even if so, we can get the thread moved to the education board, where there will be more people well versed on school issues.

I'm guessing this has been building up for some time. Have you had meetings with the teacher/head about any of this?

Yummum42 Thu 20-Nov-14 22:44:00

Thank you for pointing this out and yes I'd be happy if this can be moved to the education board. My son is not adopted but I have recently joined Mumsnet and still finding my way. I needed to talk to others for help.

Lilka Thu 20-Nov-14 23:02:06

Sure, I'll report the thread for you, and then the mods will move it smile

Yummum42 Thu 20-Nov-14 23:20:45

Thank you so much. That is really helpful.

Italiangreyhound Fri 21-Nov-14 00:12:09

Yummum42 good luck with getting this sorted. Does your school have some sort of parents champion or other person who you could speak to if you need support in getting help/answers? Some schools have an inclusion manager who might deal with special educational needs but also with any areas where children are excluded etc.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Nov-14 09:28:37

Hi there,

We're moving this thread over to our Education topic now.

Miggsie Fri 21-Nov-14 09:31:50

This is always a difficult one as it can be held up as totally subjective with no actual proof - although the worst bullying of course relies on there being no proof.

You will need to start by logging every incident.
Then you need to see the head teacher - with another adult as witness to ask why your son is being treated this way.

GoodArvo Fri 21-Nov-14 10:02:51

You really need to give more information. How old is he? How long has this been going on? Do you really get sent emails if he talks to another child? Or has he been accused of bullying this other child? Has this really come out of nowhere? Is the headteacher like this with other children or just your son? What do the emails say?

Vikingbiker Fri 21-Nov-14 10:10:45

How old is he?

Is he chatting when he needs to be silent? That should really be dealt within the school unless he's chatting constantly when he should be silent and it's effecting everyone's learning all the time.

Tell us more about the incident where he was questioned?

Can you go and observe the class for a few hours? It might help you see what's going on.

Vikingbiker Fri 21-Nov-14 10:12:26

Tell us more about what happens when he tells them they are being unfair? What does he say and how? What do they say and how? What led up to this discussion?

Yummum42 Sat 22-Nov-14 11:42:26

Thanks Miggsie and Viking biker, these are really good suggestions. My son is 10 years now and this started when he was 9 years. He asks questions at the time of the incident to the teacher and the teacher then says he should do as he is told and the headmaster gets involved. These are mainly incidents in the playground in areas where the teachers say they can't see the children playing. This leads to children reporting each other about balls hitting them or being pushed or someone saying things to them. In any of these cases my son could have been accused or could have witnessed something but he is pulled out of class and questioned constantly about why he was there what he was doing in particular etc. In all instances, he has been singled out for punishment and in every case an email is sent to me and I am notified whilst I am aware that no other child or parent is treated this way. I hope this helps in explain inh things

Littlefish Sat 22-Nov-14 20:58:03

I know it's hard to think about, but if we ignore for a moment the way you feel the school are dealing with your ds, is there a chance that he is involved in behaviour towards others that is inappropriate or happening on a regular basis?

In the first instance if it were me, I would speak to my child and tell them to stay in areas where they can be seen so there is no chance of their actions being misread.

I would then continue to make a note of any e-mails and comments that my child made about being withdrawn from the classroom.

The school obviously has serious concerns about your ds's behaviour. Have you had a meeting with them to discuss their concerns?

Vikingbiker Sun 23-Nov-14 13:30:25

I would talk to your DS about not playing in the hidden area at all. If he's not in the area where all the action happens, he can't be a part of the trouble.

There's obviously something going on. Either your sons lying about not being involved in the trouble, if your sons innocent, it would raise questions about other children lying to get him into trouble or the staff having marked him out as a break time trouble maker.

handcream Sun 23-Nov-14 20:33:08

This is a strange one. Why would a school send you emails about your son EVERY day.... Is there something you aren't telling that would help people comment

Yummum42 Mon 24-Nov-14 12:59:12

Hi guys, thanks for your comments. What does DS stand for? This helps as these are the things I had done. In addition others confirmed the details at the school.
This is not about how I felt he had been treated but what was evidenced through my meetings with the Headmaster and the various correspondences in which he contradicted himself.
As mothers we all know our children and what they are capable of. In addition if we receive the same feedback from other adults in various functions / activities our child takes part in; then we know there is a problem and the child could be involved in some way. If the ill treatment comes from one source, as it did in this case, it is difficult to presume that the child is 'lying'.
I took the liberty of removing my son from the school and he is now attending another school where he is experiencing good role models and is thriving. He is a prefect and he is blooming. He had attended the previous school for about 6 years. Both schools are independent schools and I wondered if anyone has experience about raising issues of concern in independent schools.At the very least I would not want another child to suffer like mine did.

NotNowDarling01 Mon 24-Nov-14 14:03:03

DS stands for dear son. My instinct when reading your post is to think maybe it is time to move on. You obviously had issues with the school but if your son is now thriving elsewhere it would probably good idea to focus on now. I say this because it sounds like a difficult situation to unpick. If both class teachers and the head were involved there must have been a suspicion that your son was doing something and therefore it's right that they should let you know. As they don't seem to have gotten to the bottom of it and you moved your son's school it would be a bit difficult to resolve now. I don't think them asking him about incidents and reporting to you about his behaviour really amounts to mistreatment. Were they really reporting to you every time he spoke to another child or was it incidents of bad behaviour? If it were me I think I would move on and focus on the good things happening at the new school. From what you have posted I just can't see the mistreatment. It's never nice when your dc is accused of something but the school does have a duty to investigate. If he was being punished at times then I doubt that was solely being based on heresay. Focus on the good things happening now.

Yummum42 Mon 24-Nov-14 14:30:31

Thank you. It is good that we have both moved on. I agree with the school having a duty to investigate issues. That is right and proper. I agree that it is not always straightforward, Nevertheless I am clear on what constitutes mistreatment.
I wonder if anyone can advise on raising issues in independent schools. Thanks.

NotNowDarling01 Mon 24-Nov-14 16:53:54

Apologies, I didn't mean to sound unsupportive. My ds had a boy at his school who used to bully him and many others relentlessly and the parents always believed their son when he told them he wasn't doing it. In the end the parents removed him from the school after he did something particularly disgusting and genuinely disturbing, and boasted about it (they still didn't believe he did it!) Your story sounded like him and that probably clouded my response a bit. I should say I know it isn't your ds because he was a bit older and I believe he was adopted so apologies. The best way to complain is to go through the school's complaints procedure. They will have a policy you can access. You would need to exhaust that route first, and you will probably get a resolution. My SIL had to lodge a complaint about 5 years ago at my dn's Indy school about a teacher and we looked into it a bit then. The school's process is always the first resort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now