Talk

Advanced search

Abbots Hill

(6 Posts)
Romysgirl Mon 17-Nov-14 21:44:15

Hello

I've read a few comments about Abbots Hill and will be moving into the area in January. They have places and other independents within easy reach are currently full in my DDs year group. Does anyone have any up to date feedback about the school? I spoke to the Registrar and was very impressed, so first impressions are positive. My DD is academic but a hot house environment would not suit her at all....

Also, any recommendations for good state primary schools close by for my DS? My plan is for him to sit the 11+ and try and get a place at a grammar. The school run is feeling like a bit of a challenge!!!

Thanks a million

TheWordFactory Tue 18-Nov-14 09:17:35

What year is your DD OP?

ReallyTired Tue 18-Nov-14 09:22:54

Finding a good state primary is really hard in the hemel area as there is a serious lack of places. How old is your son?

theHowlatWooooooCorner Tue 18-Nov-14 09:25:38

What area are you moving to? How old is your DS? Both primary and secondary places are very hard to come by I'm afraid.

Motherswork Thu 04-Dec-14 23:09:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twentyfour7 Fri 05-Dec-14 09:03:35

I've had two girls go through Abbot's Hill. It is expensive, and on top of that nearly all the year 10 and 11 kids have to get private tuition for quite a few subjects - but you'd probably find this in many private schools. However when they change school for the sixth form they have been told that they are not up to speed even when they may have achieved an A* in a subject! One school told us they always have this problem with Abbots girls. That made us feel great. You will never find the perfect school but I don't feel my money has been particularly well spent - I will never know - another route could have been worse! It's not a hot house but on the other hand I don't think they make enough effort to push - for example girls were discouraged from re-sitting modules because it would take too much staff time! Surely a school would want to get the best for the kids? A number of tutors have mentioned that there are chunks missing in the children's learning. We have also spent a small fortune on Justin Craig courses which have been a godsend to plug some big gaps - highly recommend these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now