Talk

Advanced search

Prep schools Oxfordshire

(10 Posts)
mumw5 Wed 12-Nov-14 14:56:45

Hi, could anyone let me know the pros/ cons of any pre-preps/ preps in Oxfordshire please?

childrensservant Thu 13-Nov-14 00:31:06

There's loads of private schools in oxfordshire.
Whereabouts in the county are you looking?
Co-ed or not?
Large or small?
Town or Country?
Boarding options or day?

mumw5 Thu 13-Nov-14 10:23:04

husband working in reading so looking south of oxford really
co-ed preferable but will look at all boys
country definitely
day

thanks!

Onesipmore Thu 13-Nov-14 10:34:53

Hi there. You are looking quite close to the Oxfordshire/Bucks borders so I would consider a fantastic school called Ashfold whoch is Coed and does day and boarding. Otherwise in Oxford you have Summerfield and Magdelen and a bit further out Cokethorpe

happygardening Thu 13-Nov-14 11:04:00

Dragon? In Oxford it's self but very popular I know lots of very happy children and parents there. Boarding and day it feeds into a broad X section of schools and gets lots of scholarships into big names.
The only problem is the traffic into Oxford particularly the Woodstock road is a pain maybe they do a bus it's a big prep school I'd be surprised if they didn't.

imogen71 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:34:55

Summerfields and the Dragon are both to the north of the city - and getting across town can be hard in the morning. And going round the ring road and then in from the north is not a lot better. Christ Church cathedral school is to the south of the city, and is a gem, particularly for musical children. Chandlings is also on the south side, so you wouldn't be fighting the traffic, and I know parents who are happy with it. There's also Abingdon prep and the Oratory has a prep school.

There are also some excellent state schools in the area

violetsareblue11 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:35:16

Another vote for the Dragon. A close friend of mine has two DD's there and speaks highly of it. When we were looking for preps we looked round it ourselves but it's too far from us! Has some fantastic facilities and the children seemed happy. Also sends lots of kids to some impressive senior school destinations (Eton, Winchester, Downe House, Marlborough, Radley, etc.) It seems very academic but not hot-housey, and has a lot of extracurricular clubs. I also believe it's very sporty. Has more or less equal amount of day and boarders according to my friend, and her DD's are day girls and really enjoy it. Seems a really lovely school, I'd consider it for my DC's if we didn't live so far away. For boys preps, have heard mixed things about Summerfields. It has nice grounds and facilities though! Also IMO is a traditional English prep school IYKWIM! I'm sure it's a great school.

childrensservant Thu 13-Nov-14 23:50:01

St Andrews in Pangbourne?
Oratory north of Reading,
Abingdon Prep - west of Abingdon
St Hughs - Faringdon way

All of these are 'country' types.
Dragon I would say is a city school.

roguedad Fri 14-Nov-14 07:01:28

Cokethorpe Junior goes to 11 and is a day school very "country" - 140+ acres just South of Witney and easily accessible from the South by a network of buses.

childrensservant Fri 14-Nov-14 22:39:24

Chandlings as well.
Moulsford
Cheam??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now