Talk

Advanced search

Leave from school to attend funeral?

(8 Posts)
Lovage Tue 11-Nov-14 22:02:09

Anyone know what happens about this nowadays, now they have tightened up the attendance rules so much? DC are likely to have to miss at least 1 and possibly 2 days of school due to the distances involved.

WiseKneeHair Tue 11-Nov-14 22:10:17

Whose funeral is it? If it is z close relative such as grandparent then there shouldn't be a problem. I think people have had problems when it has been a close friend, rather than relatives funeral.
thanks to you all.

Lovage Wed 12-Nov-14 13:13:37

Thanks. Yes, grandparent.

Annoying if schools police it by blood-kin though - some of our friends are much closer to my kids than some of their blood-relatives. Old fashioned ideas about how society and family works!

PeterParkerSays Wed 12-Nov-14 13:20:57

We've just got authorised leave for one day for a grandparent's funeral. It took 2 e-mails and a follow up phone call because the head teacher hadn't got back to us, but we did get it authorised. That was an all day thing because it's 150 miles away.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 12-Nov-14 13:27:17

Just send a letter/ call them telling them you are going. Most heads are sensible and will authorise it, I think there were just one or two that were being a bit over cautious. Our head does not even ask you to fill in a form - after all you have just lost a parent.
Lovage - I'm sure your head would understand if it was a close friend - after all hopefully it's not something that's going to happen very often in your school life.

TalkinPeace Wed 12-Nov-14 20:22:01

I took my kids out of school for a week to attend their great grandmothers funeral abroad

SwedishEdith Wed 12-Nov-14 20:26:20

Mine had a day authorised - no problem at all. Sorry about your loss.

CloHutchinson45 Fri 14-Nov-14 14:42:18

Hey, I would say I always just take the attitude of "just do it" in these situations. What ever anyone says, you live once and you should do what it right for you in the situation regardless of work or school. I hope everything works out well for you! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now