Talk

Advanced search

Harris Crystal Palace

(9 Posts)
rudyduke Mon 10-Nov-14 16:54:19

Hi, my son has just been offered a place at Harris CP, he's in year 7 and only just started secondary school. He's currently at Elm Green and pretty happy. We are in a real dilemma as to whether we should take up this offer on a school that has just achieved its 3rd outstanding ofsted, or leave him where he is. All comments relating to this will be gratefully received. Many Thanks

CharmQuark Tue 11-Nov-14 19:33:16

Do you like Elmgreen? How do you feel about the feel and outlook of the respective schools, and how does your DS feel about it? Has he settled in? Made friends? Are you happy with what you have seen so far?

No way would I be swayed by an Ofsted report in respect of a Harris Academy - too much smoke and mirrors. Go by what you actually know of the feel of the place, the education on offer etc.

Elmgreen is a popular school, and I gather the new head is tightening up some of the issues that resulted from the old (and lovely) ethos of 'The Elmgreen Way' which sometimes led to behaviour not being good (while pastoral care has always been of a high reputation).

Harris CP? Don't go by any hype, just go by what you saw and heard at the open day and whether the style of education and atmosphere would suit your DS. Will they let you visit again?

LucyLastik Tue 11-Nov-14 19:36:11

Can't comment on your current school but CP Is our 2ndchoice for Dd

rudyduke Wed 12-Nov-14 12:31:30

yes, I do like Elmgreen and so does my son. He doesn't want to move. We are swayed by the Ofsted and their links with Uni's etc after 6th form. I know the new head is there to change things up for the better but HCP does seem like such an 'outstanding' school that I feel we've been given such an opportunity that we need to really consider this. I am worried that there is a lot of hype surrounding HCP. As you can see I'm very torn and have to make a decision very soon.

rudyduke Wed 12-Nov-14 12:32:31

we did visit again but still none the wiser.

ReinholdMessner Wed 12-Nov-14 19:03:44

I wouldn't move my child out of a school where he was happy. If the Harris university links (which I'm not familar with) are really appealing then he could attend their sixth form post-16.

CharmQuark Wed 12-Nov-14 20:55:24

I am of a 'better the devil you know' outlook.

6th Form is a long way away and everything could be different then. People move around a lot at 6th Form.

What are the things you are happy with at Elmgreen?

Your DS not wanting to move would be huge factor for me, if it is because he has settled and is enjoying it. .

But if you were really blown away by CP....

rudyduke Tue 18-Nov-14 17:52:05

Just a quick update, we're keeping him at Elmgreen, he put a really good argument for staying and as said in a previous comment the new head seems to be really 'on it' as far as changing things for the better. I spoke to my son's tutor and he was really helpful too. Another factor was it was further away from home and he would have been stuck on a bus on the awful one way traffic system up Central Hill. So I have a happy son back. Thanks for all your comments.

rudyduke Tue 18-Nov-14 17:52:07

Just a quick update, we're keeping him at Elmgreen, he put a really good argument for staying and as said in a previous comment the new head seems to be really 'on it' as far as changing things for the better. I spoke to my son's tutor and he was really helpful too. Another factor was it was further away from home and he would have been stuck on a bus on the awful one way traffic system up Central Hill. So I have a happy son back. Thanks for all your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now