Talk

Advanced search

Joining sixth form from overseas

(10 Posts)
TranquilityofSolitude Sat 08-Nov-14 07:42:31

DSis and I are investigating the possibility of her DS coming to live with me for sixth form. They are aid workers overseas and the A level options for my nephew are very limited. We are looking at private schools initially, but if he wanted to go to a state sixth form, what would we need to do? Presumably he has to be registered somewhere?

Any advice gratefully received smile

holeinmyheart Sat 08-Nov-14 23:18:19

What about a state boarding school? Such as Lancaster Royal Grammar school? Surprisingly there are still a few state Boarding Schools in the Country. I think there are about 16 in the country. There is one in Buckingham. It cost about €9,000 a year. Tuition is free as it is a state school.
Your 16 year old would benefit from being with his own age group and if you lived near one he could be a weekly boarder. Day places in the sixth form are free but he will have needed to get at least 6 GCSE's with good grades.
It is not going to be easy having a 16 year old in the house and it is going to be a big responsibility.
As for registration , all the schools have web sites. Just google them and they will have admission information.
Mine went to Lancaster Royal Grammar school and it is a brilliant school. They boarded on a weekly basis in the sixth form.

TranquilityofSolitude Sun 09-Nov-14 07:13:06

Thanks hole. I'll look into it. I hadn't thought about state boarding schools at all. I take your point about the responsibility of a 16 year old in the house. I actually have a DD the same age so I'm hoping we will have some idea of what's involved but you never know!

Essexmum69 Sun 09-Nov-14 08:30:04

Does he have a British or EU passport? If so any state school is an option. Colchester Royal Grammar is another option with state sixth form boarding places. Sixth forms do not have central coordinated admissions like primary and secondary schools, you generally apply straight to the school. Some still have catchment areas or feeder secondary schools which will be a problem if he is not moving in with you until just before he starts. So if you are thinking of applying to your local sixth forms I would ring their admissions officer and explain the situation. If looking at boarding then it won't matter where he is living at the time of application, he just has to be able to demonstrate a need/desire to board which shouldn't be a problem with his parents overseas.
Good luck!

TranquilityofSolitude Sun 09-Nov-14 16:45:57

Thank you, Essex. He has a British passport. I guess I wondered if he needed to 'exist' somewhere centrally in order to be enrolled at a school. I will ask a local sixth form and see what they say.

pyrrah Sun 09-Nov-14 19:25:14

Cranbrook in Kent is another boarding grammar.

Lemonsole Sun 09-Nov-14 20:33:48

Peter Symonds College in Winchester has a lot of overseas borders, as it is the "catchment" college for the Falklands. It's a state sixth form.

Kldragon Sun 09-Nov-14 20:45:08

I did this last year from overseas. I had no problem registering my DD in a state sixth form even though we were overseas. I think as long as they are UK passport holders it shouldn't be a problem

TranquilityofSolitude Sun 09-Nov-14 22:35:59

Thanks, everyone. Looks like I have some calls to make tomorrow!

summerends Sun 09-Nov-14 22:54:14

Tranquility it would be worth you doing an online search first using for example the good school guide of all the state schools which have boarding in the sixth form. These include some competitive very academic grammars as well as academically mixed comprehensive sixth form colleges. It will narrow down your phone calls if you have a short list depending on how academic he is, whether he is ready for a big sixth form college or would need a smaller size school sixth form and the location that would suit you more as his guardian whilst his parents are overseas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now