Talk

Advanced search

Maths A level from home?

(12 Posts)
Watto1 Sun 02-Nov-14 17:13:37

22 years ago shock I spectacularly failed my maths A level. I always promised myself that I would redo it and now that the dc are a bit older, I have the time.

My question is, can anyone recommend a course please? Either online or correspondence. I was recommended Oxford but they don't do the course I want (pure maths with statistics, rather than pure maths with mechanics). I've had a google but there are so many and no way of knowing which are any good!

Thanks in advance

Watto1 Sun 02-Nov-14 17:15:13

Sorry, that's not very clear -I want to do pure and statistics, not pure and mechanics.

theposterformallyknownas Sun 02-Nov-14 17:18:16

Do Cambridge do anything like it?
other than this can't help, but bumping for you

mellicauli Sun 02-Nov-14 17:23:13

I really want to do this too. I so loved maths but not other sciences, so I chose history instead. Now I see my son doing his maths and I'd love to do it now.

My research took my to open university and maybe doing a pre degree course..then maybe degree if that proves manageable. It's so expensive though, it feels like a complete indulgence..

Looking forward to seeing what people say on here.

thecatfromjapan Sun 02-Nov-14 17:29:45

Hello there. I would like to do this , too. Surely there is someone onumsnet who has an answer?

secretsquirrels Sun 02-Nov-14 17:47:16

Could you not just work through the text books?
DS did A level maths and Further Maths and in addition to the modules taught at school he took some others which he taught himself.
We also used MEIand FMS

thecatfromjapan Sun 02-Nov-14 18:14:32

Thank you, secret squirrel. It's a bit lonely, though. Even an on-line bit of company would be nice.
Your ds sounds VERY self-motivated though! Wow!

catslife Mon 03-Nov-14 09:14:55

Try the Open College they offer A level Maths with statistics with tutor support. See link for details www.openstudycollege.com/mathematics-numeracy_courses.html

H4dley Mon 03-Nov-14 09:15:13

There is a way to do IB Diploma Higher Level Maths online with a company called Pamoja who allocate a school for you to be registered with.

Watto1 Mon 03-Nov-14 10:34:20

Thanks all. That link looks promising catslife. Will investigate further.

Saracen Mon 03-Nov-14 23:54:25

I'm sure you'd be welcome on home ed forums. Here is a wiki about taking exams while being home educated: he-exams.wikia.com/wiki/HE_Exams_Wiki There is an email list linked from there which you could join. It is mostly about GCSE type stuff, I believe, but there are bound to be some knowledgeable people there.

tess73 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:16:41

i had the same idea a year or two ago
i paid £400 to the Open College for the pack/files. I couldn't get past the opening chapter. I went out and bought the GCSE Lett's Revise books. Then had to go back for KS3 books.

I got an A at GCSE by the way.

Keen to hear how you get on. If you message me you're welcome to come and look at the files.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now