Cambridge International School

(12 Posts)
AngelaLans Tue 21-Oct-14 20:46:12

I know this is a pretty new school, but does anyone have any experience of it for primary or secondary, or know someone who does?

Smedly Tue 22-Sep-15 08:42:15

I know this is not timely for the OP, but since I've found it looking for Cambridge schools for my daughter, I thought someone else might find it useful

A friend has two children at Cambridge International and raved about it - apparently very individual and small with a family feel and a head that everyone loves. It's just been taken over by a for-profit group and she said the new investors stood before the whole school saying the head (who founded it) would stay and run it, and now they have sacked her after everyone paid their fees, and apparently have grand plans to turn a major profit.

I might still go and look for my daughter, but am put off by people looking to profit handsomely from school fees (we aren't wealthy) and the welfare of children, so it's fallen down the list and I am researching other options.

Bellabunny14 Wed 18-Nov-15 13:54:20

Do not touch this school with a thousand-foot barge-pole! We are in the process of withdrawing our daughter from the school due to the "new management". Yes, until the "hostile takeover", the school was fabulous. The Head knew every single of the 300 or so children individually, their parents, their strengths & weaknesses etc. She was like a mother to them, was very approachable to the children & parents, & the staff were very happy, with many having been there for many years (which says a lot in itself). The school is now owned by people who do not care about the children's education, but only about making money, & the new owners' attitude is (& I quote from the CEO), "If you don't like it, leave!". Says it all...

Bug2804 Wed 18-May-16 13:55:09

Sounds like the Perse and spf...

HereIAm20 Wed 18-May-16 15:28:49

Cambridge International School has a reputation for being where difficult children are placed (those asked to leave other independents) or with behavioural issues. The Perse is an academically selective school and is nothing like Cambridge International.

Bug2804 Thu 19-May-16 13:26:32

HereIam20... difficult kids with behaviour issues couldn't cope with cis curriculum and are asked to leave with bad behaviour
And, from what I've seen of perse brats is just that arrogant brats with bad behaviour/attitude; appalling basic manners even. Yuk. even thieves stealing from Austwych museum! Most inner city kids wouldn't do that!

HereIAm20 Sat 21-May-16 18:42:13

Clearly you have had abad experience with The Perse. Perhaps your child failed to pass the entrance exams. The only kids I know of at Cambridge Internationsl were asked to leave other schools! Obviously there are also kids there as their first choice or as an alternate Cambridge indy if they fail to get into The Perse or The Leys etc. I am sure there are bratty kids at all schools. I happen to know quite a few lovely kids at The Perse. You clearly have some personal issue with The Perse clouding your judgment.

Bug2804 Sat 21-May-16 20:34:34

😀
I just read their prospectus re behaviour etc. Considered cis to be vey professional and hot in behaviour ...

Our kids passed at Perse upper, SPF and the Leys FYI.

But, you admit to making a sweeping statement re kids with behavioural probably go to cis ... based on a couple of kids you know!

Bug2804 Sat 21-May-16 20:36:02

Also if we were to choose cis it would be because of the smaller class sizes ... Same as perse and Leys on everything else bar superior pastoral care I suspect.

HereIAm20 Sat 28-May-16 17:59:33

Cis does have a reputation for those not kept on at other places so not sweeping statement but merely a factual statement. At senior level their intake is mainly thise failing to gain entry to other independents locally or those who have been asked to seek an alternate school post year 8 for whatever reaaon (academic or behavioural). If you have not taken up places at The Perse, SPF or The Leys how do you know their pastoral care is inferior. I am seriously not looking to argue but don't think anyone can judge on this (pastorsl care) without having personal experience. Saying that all kids that go to The Perse or SPF are arrogant is a generalisation! As I said before all schools whether private or state have their share of all types of kids - arrogant, bullies, brats and nice.

Anonandonandon2016 Sun 04-Dec-16 16:09:18

Any other thoughts, opinions or experiences out there regarding this school?

If so, I'd be very grateful if you could share!

Bellabunny14 Sun 04-Dec-16 21:25:41

Still don't touch it! (CIS). If I tell you that it's lost over half of its pupils and probably half of the staff too in the last year, does that tell you enough?? By Sept 2017 the Seniors will be down to a third of the number of pupils in Sept 2015 when the management changed. Not sure of the numbers at the Primary school, but I know they've lost a lot of pupils too. The management don't care about children or staff, & keep telling everyone that "everything is OK" when it obviously isn't. Do not believe the advertising you will see either. They are spending an enormous amount of money on advertising & trying to recruit pupils, instead of working to improve the situation for those who are there.
If you want a school which really cares for its pupils & staff, look at Landmark International School in Fulbourn, which has been established by many of the wonderful staff who have left CIS. It has a truly caring ethos, where every child is treated as an individual rather than as "net profit" as CIS children were referred to as.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now