Tell me about Kingston - where to live, schools etc...

(10 Posts)
ridinghighinapril Sat 24-May-14 12:11:38

I am considering applying for a job at Kingston Hospital, if successful we would need to move near there but we have no idea about the area.

We have a 3y old girl and 1y old boy - our daughter would be applying this winter for reception places.

DH would need to be near a station (rail or tube) that would take him in the vicinity of Warren St tube.

I would like to be within a 20min drive of the hospital.

Which primary schools (state or prep) would people recommend? Happy with single sex or coed.

Which locations are great for families (no idea of our budget) & reasonable commute for us?

Thinking long term, we would like the kids to go to one of the grammar schools but I understand the competition is fierce so a good independent or comprehensive back up would be ideal.

Any advice welcome (not state versus grammar versus independent debate, please!).

Thanks

Bowlersarm Sat 24-May-14 12:21:47

Really lovely place to live. Kingston has everything IMO. The river, Richmond Park,, stunning shopping centre, easy access into London, easy access out of London, railway station. North Kingston (the Richmond) side is considered the nicer bit to live.

We moved away before the DC were of school age, so don't have too much info about schools. Our impression was that primary schooling is great, secondary less so-less choice and competitive.

ridinghighinapril Sat 24-May-14 12:38:11

Thanks, Bowlerarm for such a quick reply. Love the first paragraph smile

Just to add, also happy to consider the surrounding areas e.g Wimbledon, Surbiton, Twickenham, as long as the commute for both of us is reasonable and schools are good.

whatchatalkinboutwillis Sat 24-May-14 12:49:25

teddington has very good schools - lots of outstanding primary's and teddington and waldegrave are both great secondary's. housing is expensive there but many students who live in twickenham/Kingston go there so wherever you live you have a good chance of getting into a good school

MrsDavidBowie Sat 24-May-14 12:52:47

Local schools to the hospital...
Alexandra Inf/St Paul's Jun
Coombe Hill

In New Malden there are good schools. Secondary are good too...

Icimoi Sat 24-May-14 15:12:42

Twickenham is better for trains to London, but I think there are only two trains per hour towards Kingston Hospital. Lots of good primary schools, though.

pamplemoussed Sat 24-May-14 15:20:56

We live on Twickenham/teddington border but work in central London . Good rail connections from Twickenham and great local schools both state and independent. I believe there is also a v good fast train connection to Waterloo from Surbiton. Richmond & Bushy parks offer a wealth of outdoor space, sports clubs etc. Kingston is great for shopping facilities. Overall this is a fantastic area to bring up children; though housing is v expensive as a result.

dustwhatdust Sat 24-May-14 18:24:26

Surbiton/Kingston borders is an excellent area, with average 4 trains per hour and 17 mins fast train to Waterloo by rail, with a 8 - 10 mins walk to the station.
The leisure facilities with river and towpath walks close by and walking into Kingston only takes 15 mins along the river, walking further you reach Richmond . Bushy Park , Home Park and Richmond Park all very accessible Gatwick and Heathrow both easy to get to .
Surbiton has good shopping with both a waitrose and Sainsburys on the high street. Kingston has John lewis and Bentalls and a great selection of restaurants and cafes
State Primary schools are good as are a few reasonable secondary schools Independents like Hampton, Kingston Grammar and Surbiton High school close by and Reeds is 15-20 drive away in Oxshott.
Some commute by train to RGS Guildford and GHS , or Kings College in Wimbledon .
We as a family love Subiton and children can learn to become quite independent teenagers, cycling , walking or taking the bus - not having to rely on' Mums taxi' .

Rozcoco Sat 09-Jan-16 17:51:42

We are moving to a location halfway between Surbiton and Kingston and we have to make our daughter's reception application for a state primary school. Does anybody have any recommendations?

EYDavis Sun 10-Jan-16 15:48:55

I'll let others advise about places to live and schools as I was based in Wimbledon. I did however want to say that Kingston is a great hospital - it's small enough that people are friendly (fewer difficult personalities/egos than some London teaching hospitals) but large enough to provide good, effective care for its patients. I worked there as a junior doc in 2010 but think it would be a great place to develop a longterm career.

The local areas are also very nice... close to London but lots of parks, nice pubs, etc. Not a cheap place to live, though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now