Advanced search

A few FE questions

(8 Posts)
wobblyknicks Sat 20-Mar-04 14:39:16

Ok, have come to the conclusion that theres no way I'm going to be able to go to work in the near future - because I'd end up paying to work and it would give UH much more chance of gaining custody of dd. So I've decided to do some FE things but I've got a few questions that I haven't found much of an answer to yet so I hoping MN can help again!!!

I want to do a Psychology degree and some other courses related to counselling, aiming at eventually being a psychologist but being able to work with more vunerable groups, possible children or victims of abuse.

1) If I do an OU Psychology degree, does that count as being a student like going to college or uni does? I mean mainly in the context of benefits, grants, help with childcare etc.

2) If I do a Psych degree with the OU, is that as good as doing it through another uni?

3) Are there any particular counselling courses that are more worth having than others, or any that would relate more specifically to what I'm hoping to do at the end of it all? I'm looking at doing a counselling level 2 certificate - is that worth having or not?

Sorry for asking so much but I thought someone might now, rather than me spending weeks finding it all out elsewhere!

SenoraPostrophe Sat 20-Mar-04 15:04:13

A course sounds like a good idea.

1) no, but you can have your fees paid. There is talk of a new grant towards other costs too, but that may not happen: see this page

2) yes.

3) yes it's worth having, but I don't know if there are any more specific qualifications available. I don't think so though.

wobblyknicks Sat 20-Mar-04 18:17:43

Thanks sp! Doing an OU thingy would be much easier than having to hike my a** into college or uni but somewhere 'proper' looks like its going to work out cheaper for me in the long run, seeing as I'll need childcare.

Thanks for the info though!

hmb Sat 20-Mar-04 18:31:54

I know of employers who will always choose to interview OU students as they have done things thte 'hard' way.

An OU degree is 100% real. You can obviously fit it in around the kids more. You may have to do some residential courses, so would family be able to have the kids for you?

Lots of OU courses are web based, with discussion groups etc.

Sadly no help with the cash tho

tamum Sat 20-Mar-04 18:37:35

I would guess SenorA is right about no 1. I had a PhD student who was registered with the OU. She was from Singapore and had endless troubles with immigration every time she came back to the UK as the government department that deals with these things don't recognise OU as a "real" university on their list. I realise this is a different situation, but it does suggest that the same rules might apply to benefits and so on.

Do you have a uni near you, wobblyknicks? I have a friend who is doing a psychology degree in her forties and the uni staff have been pretty flexible and helpful really.

wobblyknicks Sun 21-Mar-04 10:45:33

The problem is that I have a very good college near me that does counselling courses - so I'm ok on that side but no uni near me. If I went to a 'proper' uni, I'd have to move well away from my family and friends, which doesn't sound great at the moment!!!

Looks like I'd definitely be better off doing an OU degree - its just that I'd still obviously have a lot of work to do so I was hoping that I'd be able to get a bit of help for occassional childcare. Oh well, can't have everything!

Thanks for all the help - it's hard trying to get my head round all the different options and how to fit it in somewhere!

tamum Sun 21-Mar-04 10:53:20

I'm not sure if this would have any advantages over OU, but our uni is currently very keen on implementing e-learning courses, and we had a talk from someone who has set up a very successful e-learning Master's course in Reproductive Biology at Bristol. Most of these things are in their infancy, but it would be worth searching to see what's available. The one at Bristol involved just two weeks per year on site, but it had the advantage that anyone registered on the course could access the online library facilities (journals in particular) that would probably become a bit of an issue in the later stages of a degree, at least. There's a psychology course online at Derby , for example. OU might well be better, but I would have a search on e-learning or similar if I were you. Won't help with childcare, but just something else to consider.
Good luck!

wobblyknicks Sun 21-Mar-04 10:56:40

Thanks tamum! I'll have a look at those e-learning ones. The major thing is that I'm trying to work out what qualifications I need to do and how I can fit them in! My parents can help with looking after dd and naturally I'd rather not impose on them but if that's the only way I can do it then so be it.

Think doing a degree at home though is definitely going to be easier than going into a uni, then at least I can do it whenever I get a minute!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: