Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got experience of extended teaching days

(14 Posts)
DizzyBlondeMum2 Fri 21-Mar-14 07:09:34

My sons school is proposing to extend the school day Tue-Fri until 5pm for years 3 and above.

From 3pm the kids will do extra curricula stuff like drama and scouts but it will be compulsory.

The idea is it will give kids a broader experience. School is in a deprived area so few children are currently able to access the type of after school activities that might be the norm for higher income families.

Has anyone got experience of this kind of set up? What are the pros? What are the cons?

meditrina Fri 21-Mar-14 07:12:42

I'd be pissed off if it clashed with existing after school activities, or any of the other components that go in to juggling all your DC after school. so I hope this is notice for a change in September, nt next term.

But once the admin has settled down, it sounds like a great idea.

Delphiniumsblue Fri 21-Mar-14 07:17:34

It sounds a wonderful idea if it is a deprived area and they don't get it. I would be annoyed because the school day is long enough and I would want time with my children.

inthename Fri 21-Mar-14 08:38:47

It can work very well (ds goes to an independent school where the school dayfinishes at 5) and if the children typically have no access to extra curric

inthename Fri 21-Mar-14 08:42:50

Sorry - phone playing up!
It would benefit working parents too.
A pain for those who don't need the wrap around care or have other activities and difficult to make compulsory.
Are they going to charge for the after school part?

BambooBear13 Fri 21-Mar-14 09:43:53

Would be great for me as I work FT and kids have to go to afterschool anyway.. And great for those who would not normally get access to these things - but compulsory ?!?! What if parents want time with them or have other things like swim lessons / tea with grandparents etc

Bonsoir Fri 21-Mar-14 09:47:46

An extended school day is generally a good thing for DC from households where all parents are working.

However, in households where there is a SAHP who wants to spend time bringing up his/her children his/herself, it is a PITA!

DPotter Fri 21-Mar-14 09:53:07

DD had extended hours in yr3 - yr6. In retrospect I should have been firmer about her continuing with out-of-school activities as the offer at school for ballet was not as good. However she did try things she & I would never have thought of so there are good aspects as well. So my advice would be to continue with existing out-of-school things if possible.

slug Fri 21-Mar-14 10:22:35

DD's secondary school runs from 8:20am till 4:30pm with a half day on Friday. It is a godsend for the working parent as she leaves the house with us in the morning and only has to entertain herself for an hour at best before DH gets home.

She does not seem to be too tired at the end of the week.

wordfactory Fri 21-Mar-14 10:57:31

DC secondary school finishes at 4.30pm.
Then clubs take place afterwards but are not compulsory.
Or DC can do their homework or attend ckinics, but again these aren't compulsory.

It works very well and the standard of education offered is superb. But the holidays are very long!

Lottiedoubtie Fri 21-Mar-14 11:01:01

It's the norm in independent schools and works well, but the long holidays compensate.

Is it legal to make it compulsory in state schools? I find that hard to believe?

Fairly obviously I think it would suit some parents and some children but unlikely to suit the whole population!

AmberTheCat Fri 21-Mar-14 12:49:20

I have mixed feelings about this. It's a great way to provide additional opportunities to children who otherwise wouldn't have them, and would definitely make life easier for working parents. I find the idea of it being compulsory for all children a bit sad and restrictive, though. Lottie's question about whether that's actually legal is a good one - just had a quick google, but couldn't see anything obvious to confirm or deny that.

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 21-Mar-14 18:16:52

Bonsoir
"An extended school day is generally a good thing for DC from households where all parents are working."

How do you know this?

Saracen Sat 22-Mar-14 23:11:55

Do/will the kids get much homework, and will they have an opportunity to complete it during the school day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now