Advanced search

What is considered home address for catchment

(13 Posts)
forevermore Wed 12-Mar-14 09:45:29

Can you please tell me if a child lives 50:50 between two addresses. What are the determining factors for proving which address they can use to apply for schools? Thanks

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 12-Mar-14 09:49:07

Can you put both and he form and note it is a 50:50 arrangement? Is there room for that - there should be its not an unusual situation these days smile

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 12-Mar-14 09:50:03

I suppose if its two different areas you would have to decide for yourselves which area you would apply in though.

smee Wed 12-Mar-14 09:50:12

I think it's the parent who has the Child Benefit - they use that as the decider, so whichever parent has that, their address is deemed the main residence.

Kendodd Wed 12-Mar-14 09:50:16

I don't know, maybe where the CB (if you get it) is paid?

Kendodd Wed 12-Mar-14 09:50:52

Why don't you just phone them up and ask?

dizzyday07 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:51:00

I think they use the address that the Child Benefit is paid to - but I may be wrong!

MirandaWest Wed 12-Mar-14 09:58:04

Have you looked at the LEAs website about school admissions? It should give an idea. Although to be honest my lea says it should be the address where the child spends most time, then says if there is a 50:50 split it should be where the child spends most weekdays, and then it says if this is equal the parents should come up with a decision of which to apply from. But they are very clear you can only apply from one address - so you couldn't hedge your bets and apply to schools from each address.

OddBoots Wed 12-Mar-14 10:00:36

Around here CB used to be used as a tie-breaker but now some families are unable to claim it I'd imagine something else has to be used as well/instead. The only think I can think of is the address used to register with a GP maybe?

forevermore Wed 12-Mar-14 12:11:08

The LEA mentions a residency order?but this isn't an arrangement that has been subject to a court order. It just works for the parents. Would u have to go through the courts and formalise the arrangement?

eddiemairswife Wed 12-Mar-14 12:14:18

In my LA it's where they live for most of the school week. If the time is shared equally the parents have to decide which address to use and submit the CAF to the appropriate LA.

prh47bridge Wed 12-Mar-14 13:25:43

There is no universal answer. Each LA makes its own rules. It should say in your LA's admissions booklet. If you are unsure tell us which LA is involved - PM me if you don't want to post that information publicly.

tiggytape Wed 12-Mar-14 19:54:44

As prh says the LA needs to define it.
Our LA is typical of most: it says in the case of 50:50 shared care, it is the home the child spends most weekdays at that is the admissions address.

If 50:50 care is arranged so that the number of weekdays spent at each house is identical, the address used for Child benefit is the tie breaker and the one that must be used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now