Talk

Advanced search

Bullying in PE

(10 Posts)
Stressedbutblessed Tue 04-Mar-14 03:55:20

Soliciting advice how to handle this.apologise in advance for length of post..
Dd Y7 has been verbally bullied since Y6 by the same set of "it" boys during PE. I made the mistake of highlighting this to school at the end of primary and the result is it's even worse in Y7 as new boys have joined and the "it" boys have encouraged the new lot to join in.
Dd now refuses to join swimming lessons or team sport at school and this is the 3rd week in a row I have invented a doctor/dentist appt. previously she feigned a fever at school and bruised ribshmm Teacher apparently does nothing as Dd is rubbish at most sport, except horse riding and Tennis which she is great at. Sport billy teacher has no time for non rugby non basketball players crap swimmers & non x country enthusiasts. Dd all of the aforementioned.
This is one reason we decided dd will move school in Sept. school was making her very miserable & thankfully she has a confirmed place at a girls school
I feel I owe it to Dd to raise this with the school as it's still ongoing but she says it will make it worse. I can't keep writing sick notes as I don't feel comfortable lying so blatantly but I don't think the PE teacher should allow the boys to get away with it. Although the 3 main culprits are on the junior national rugby team which is why I believe they get away with it.
DH says that as Dd is leaving then just leave it . I have mixed thoughts- can see where DH is coming from but don't think this should be allowed to pass? What would you do?

inthename Tue 04-Mar-14 07:12:52

I have had a similar problem with my ds. Request a meeting with the games teacher and the head of year. Log the problems and expl

MistressDeeCee Tue 04-Mar-14 07:22:05

I think you should definetely raise it. It will play on your mind if you don't. We all want to stand up for our children, don't we? I feel sorry for your DD and its terrible these boys just get away with it. Hopefully she'll get on much better at her new school away from these ignoramuses

meditrina Tue 04-Mar-14 07:24:49

When is DD leaving?

The amount of time ahead in this school may make a difference to what you decide to do.

As Yr7 you do need to tread carefully about what she wants you to do. Start by logging (at home) all the incidents as they occur.

Also, remove the focus from PE. If these pupils are being increasingly oppressive, it won't be solely in one lesson. You need to encourage your DD to tell you the full story.

And, unless the is school tiny, there'll be more than one PE teacher (for girls aren't usually pushed into rugby, so there will be concurrent activity for them), so start there.

noblegiraffe Tue 04-Mar-14 07:26:26

It's unclear from your post whether you have reported it to the secondary school. Have you spoken to the PE teacher? The head of year? If not, then it seems a bit drastic to be moving schools without talking to the school first.

If you have, then I would definitely highlight to the head that lack of action regarding bullying on the part of the Y7 teachers is behind your leaving the school, including details of conversations you have had with them and dates.

Dancergirl Tue 04-Mar-14 09:20:20

Definitely don't leave it. I assume she is staying until July, that's a long time to cope with bullying. Is it just PE lessons? How is she the rest of the time, does she have friends?

I agree that you need to log the incidents and request a meeting with the head of year.

Are PE lessons mixed boys and girls? Do other schools do this? Think that's a terrible idea.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Tue 04-Mar-14 09:33:26

Diary everything. You also need names of other children either included in witness or being picked on. I know why dd wants not to see teachers but I think you have to.

What is the local councils policy on bullying in schools in their area? What policy does the school have? Both could be available on the net. Or ask school office for a copy. Her form tutor, the pe teacher and a head of year/ht should be informed. Do they have a counsellor or support type titled officer? Is there a school led /peer group support system against bullying? (Maybe dd can start one eventually....?)

You have so far followed dds wishes. It didn't help. Now you need to take control.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Tue 04-Mar-14 09:35:14

It wasn't a mistake to highlight it. It was the adult right thing. But you need to follow it through.

Stressedbutblessed Tue 04-Mar-14 10:26:53

Thx ladies- no i havent reported it to the secondary school as Dd is quite adamant it would be a big mistake. The PE teacher is nonchalent for example on the 3 day residential course I completed the parents form to advise Dd has a height phobia and yet she was forced to absail down the outside of a 50 ft building having an anxiety attack half way down & had to be " rescued" much to the amusement of said boys.
Yes she does have it in other classes but because she is smart she can cope with it inside the academic classes.
There are 8 boys in her class and 10 girls so its small- 2 classes per year- yes girls do Rugbysad
she will leave school in April as she will re enter Y7 in Sept. She is currently 1 year above her year group ( going to spgs
In Sept which hopefully is the right school for her).
Dd seems to think the PE teacher is ambivalent towards the behaviour because she is rubbish at PE . Would I need to inform HT if I requested meeting with PE teacher??

Dancergirl Tue 04-Mar-14 22:54:56

What will you do between April and July? Why is she a year ahead out of interest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now