Talk

Advanced search

Your school's expected/ exceeded APS points progress in KS1

(6 Posts)
hardtostayfocused Mon 03-Mar-14 13:01:04

Any teachers/ governors out there - can I do a quick benchmarking with you please...

My school says that KS1 expected points progress is 4 points a years, and 4.4+ is exceeding expectation.

This morning I was talking to a non-teacher who referred to a school where their expected progress is 6 APS a year.

Are they very ambitious (or has he wrong end of the stick), or is my school being a bit old-fashioned. I'm pretty sure that as recently as 2010 3 APS progress a year was considered normal?

Really appreciate your input, thank you!

hardtostayfocused Mon 03-Mar-14 19:23:37

I know it's a really deadly dull and technical question - just wondering as a governor swamped with data and documents...
Can anyone help please?

Elibean Mon 03-Mar-14 19:25:26

No help at all (in spite of being a governor too blush) as I only know about the old levels/sub-levels.

But didn't want your post to go unanswered - and am curious to read the answer too!

Elibean Mon 03-Mar-14 19:26:58

Just googled it - you are right, 'expected progress' seems to be 3 APS per year, on average.

hardtostayfocused Mon 03-Mar-14 19:36:49

thanks Elibean. A sub-level is 2 points. So 3 points a year would get the average child from level 2B at end Y2 to 4C+ at end Y6.

But for the KS1 bit the children have to go faster, as assuming they start Y1 at level 1C they have to cover 4 sub-levels in 2 years to get to 2B at end Y2.

Hence the reason why my school says expected progress is 4 points a year.

I wondered whether it's becoming commonplace for the target to become higher, i.e. aiming for 2A at end Y2.

<sigh>

ipadquietly Mon 03-Mar-14 21:10:17

Our expectations in KS1 are 6 points' progress a year (e.g. a child entering Y1 at a 1C should enter Y2 with a 2C and Y3 with a 3C to be making expected progress).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now