Talk

Advanced search

National Offers Day - 3rd March - Why are some areas giving offers on 28th Feb/1st Mar

(20 Posts)
Zingy123 Sat 01-Mar-14 09:54:54

What will happen to these councils? Seems very unfair that some are giving the results out early when it is officially Monday.

MyCatsRule Sat 01-Mar-14 11:16:18

I don't know that it affects anything but I was very pleased to have an email waiting for me this morning. First choice confirmed!

tiggytape Sat 01-Mar-14 12:05:25

The Admissions Code sets the date.
By law councils must inform parents of the outcome of their school application on March 1st. If this falls at the weekend they must use the next working day. So this year the official date is March 3rd.

Some councils are not abiding by this. It won't affect anyone's final outcome but will probably add undue stress to some who have had to wait longer that friends is neighbouring regions.

If you wanted to complain to the LGO about a council acting improperly over this issue you'd have every right to do so. They don't have any discretion to change the offer date set in law like this. It is set by law for good reason. But realistically it hasn't caused real disadvantage to anyone. Hopefully next year they'll be more on the ball and realise March 2nd 2015 is the correct date.

Focusingkingqueen Sat 01-Mar-14 12:15:29

Is that any of the London boroughs? Nothing here.

tiggytape Sat 01-Mar-14 12:23:15

No - the ones I have heard about with early offers are further North.
Some issued results online yesterday.
Some posted letters yesterday which have arrived today
Some went online today.
I don't want to name councils because I don't want to give away locations for people who have posted on MN that they have their results already as they might not like people to know where they live. It is very specific councils so quite recognisable.

The councils who are sticking to the rules will put the online results out on Monday. In London that will be after 5pm.

It has actually caused some worry for other parents this year. I have heard of people being scared that their application must be lost as their friends know outcomes and they don't. Or being upset that they have to stress about it all weekend when other councils have bent the rules and given results 2-3 days early.

moldingsunbeams Sat 01-Mar-14 13:07:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nennypops Sat 01-Mar-14 13:07:49

I can see that they shouldn't put the results online early, but I don't see what else the ones who post the results are expected to do other than post the letters on a Friday.

Really, the Admissions Code needs to be realistic about modern communications. I wonder whether the LGO would really bother to make a fuss about this?

tiggytape Sat 01-Mar-14 13:16:41

It was written in 2012 nenny but I suppose it uses working days because not all LAs are as tecchy as others! Plus it is probably good practice to have someone on hand in case the servers go down or in case something else happens.
Many councils post the results online on Offers Day and postal outcomes are sent that same day. If you live in London for example, you won't get your offer letter until Tuesday at the earliest and that is how they encourage people to use the online system.

I don't think a massive fuss will be made about it. All of the results are still clustered together. It is just unfortunate that it has caused upset and worry for some people who wonder why they've not got results when all their friends have.

intheenddotcom Sat 01-Mar-14 13:38:57

Problem is that if they post the offer on Monday, parents will not get it on National Offers Day. Hence posting out Friday so they arrive for Monday.

tiggytape Sat 01-Mar-14 13:43:24

No that is true. But equally posting it 2nd class Friday risks it getting there on Saturday which is before National Offers Day. In a normal year (when March 1st is a weekday) they don't normally post offers out in February to arrive on March 1st.

Most areas are doing online results Monday at anytime between midnight and 6pm with letters posted that same day. This happens even when March 1st is a weekday (so letters normally arrive on March 2nd).

Here's an example of how Croydon (part of London admissions) does it:
National Offer Day. Croydon Admissions will send Croydon residents an offer of a single school place by first class post.

During the evening of Monday 3 March you will be sent an email with the outcome of your application. Please wait until you receive the email before logging on to the Pan London eAdmissions website. Parents must wait for the hard copy letter before logging on to accept or decline their offer online.
Tuesday 4 March 2014: Offer letters should be received.

alpie Sat 01-Mar-14 14:15:36

Good luck to everyone else...Kendrick and Reading Grammar results came in the post today

Zingy123 Sat 01-Mar-14 14:35:25

Seems very unfair the idea of a National day is everyone finds out together. We can log in tomorrow night if applied online. Letters posted on Monday to arrive Tuesday. Always been that way here.

moldingsunbeams Sat 01-Mar-14 14:50:56

JohnnyBarthes Sat 01-Mar-14 15:14:21

They don't work like that, molding. Obviously it must be frustrating but I can't see that there's any disadvantage in having to wait until Monday.

MunchMunch Sat 01-Mar-14 16:16:13

Is this just for secondary schools?

Im my area (north east) primary school offers arent until 16th April and secondary school is 1st March. I'm on tenterhooks tbh praying ds2 gets the same school as dd.

tiggytape Sat 01-Mar-14 16:57:01

No don't worry, waiting lists aren't first come first served. They are ordered by admissions criteria.
Many are automatic eg you'll automatically be placed on the list for any schools you named higher than the one you were offered. Do always double check though as not all are automatic.

And waiting list places won't be handed out for a while yet (they need to wait for people to accept or decline their initial offers so they can see where any spaces are created).

MunchMunch - for the first time ever primary schools have a National Offers Day too starting this year. As you say it is April 16th.
For secondary schools it is the same day for everyone - March 1st. Secondary school offers are always first. Unfortunately because March 1st fell on a Saturday this has caused confusion. Councils are supposed to default to the next working day and ignore weekends but not all of them did.

MunchMunch Sat 01-Mar-14 17:05:25

Thanks tiggytape that explains it, was a bit irked to think we were finding out a lot later than everyone else grin

Celeriacacaca Sat 01-Mar-14 18:32:25

Wandsworth in London has posted offers and some have arrived today. Nothing online though.

Kormachameleon Sat 01-Mar-14 20:24:43

DraggingDownDownDown Sun 02-Mar-14 07:46:08

Really hope we get our first choice. DS has special needs but no statement and this school seems to be the best to support him PLUS it is the one he is desperate to go to. We live 0.8miles away - so within walking distance but........ I know of others who haven't got in previously.

I also don't understand the over subscription admission criteria blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now