Talk

Advanced search

Whitgift or Emanuel?

(7 Posts)
glibert234 Sat 01-Mar-14 09:06:16

Hi all, our son has just been accepted for 11+ at both Whitgift and Emanuel schools to start in Sep. Which one to chose? How would you compare them?

meditrina Sat 01-Mar-14 09:08:27

Which has the easier commute?

What does DS think of single sex v coed?

He sporty is he?

glibert234 Sat 01-Mar-14 09:13:04

We live in W'don so Croydon is quite far. He does not mind if it's single sex or coed. Yes he is quite sporty. Tks

ladydepp Sat 01-Mar-14 09:25:41

I assume you know that Emanuel don't do football? That was a big factor for my DS!

How long/complicated is each commute?

Whitgift is a big busy school with loads of extracurricular opportunities. Emanuel is smaller and cosier. You won't be flogging down to Croydon every Saturday if he goes to Emanuel.

What does your DS think?

glibert234 Sat 01-Mar-14 09:37:15

He does not play football anymore so that's not a problem. Whitgift is his preference but he will need to take the school bus at 7.12 every morning. I am concerned that the commuting will be too much and tiring for him, not mentioning the trips to the schools on weekends as you rightly point out.
Another alternative is Wimbledon College. Its next door but public school. Is it worth paying for a private school?

basildonbond Sun 02-Mar-14 11:24:47

Have you applied for wimbledon college? Whether or not it's worth paying for education is down to do many different variables which will be unique to your family's circumstances (although I'm a bit surprised you're only thinking about this at such a late stage of the process)

IMO it's not worth commuting any distance at all to Emanuel - it's a 'nice' school but nothing special

Whitgift is worth more of a journey but only if your son is going to make the most of the opportunities on offer, which tbh is going to be trickier given his long commute. I'm pretty sure though that public transport would get him there quicker - could he not get tram then train?

And the question of 'is any school worth paying for?' is down to your finances - how easy will it be for you to find the fees? What would you need to compromise on in order to do so? Etc ..,

wille1s Sun 02-Mar-14 11:52:47

Thank you for your msg. Yes we applied for W'don College too. We can afford the private school but wonder if it's worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now